• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Crescent Moon Press

JulianaHaygert

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.julianahaygert.com
AlishaS and MountainMoon22,

I would like to know more about your experience with CMP. I know you two just signed with it, but I would love to hear any info you've got to share.

Also, what made you sign with them? I mean, why not going indie instead of trying a small press?

Thanks =)

MountainMoon22

Registered
Reaction score
@LateNight - congratulations, and good luck! Crescent Moon Press has been awesome so far, and I found out about their press through this site. It's been a bunch of wonderful people, and I feel honored that they took my book.

Annarkie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
brooklynann.blogspot.com
I was offered a contract with CMP and will likely sign with them. It appears a few terms have been changed. The royalties are now 40% digital and 8% print with contract period of 4 yrs rather than the seven that was making people nervous. Another thing I really like is the tight author loop. And yes, they do go through Ingraham for printing. Also, they are managing to get print copies into some gift shops & indie bookstores. The staff I've corresponded with so far have been kind, helpful & enthusiastic about my work.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I was offered a contract with CMP and will likely sign with them. It appears a few terms have been changed. The royalties are now 40% digital and 8% print with contract period of 4 yrs rather than the seven that was making people nervous. Another thing I really like is the tight author loop. And yes, they do go through Ingraham for printing. Also, they are managing to get print copies into some gift shops & indie bookstores. The staff I've corresponded with so far have been kind, helpful & enthusiastic about my work.

That's the contract I signed with them back in July. So far everyone has been super great, I'm in the editing stages and I love my Editor, she is super nice and very easy to work with.

The only thing I don't like, but isn't really an issue is they don't give Release dates. Basically the book comes out when you, and they have finished everything. So, though I'm editing, I have no idea if my book will be out this year or next. They do that because they feel each stage of the process can take each individual author a different amount of time. Sure you get deadlines but they seem to work with the authors, so if you take longer with edits, well, your book will take longer to come out... However a general idea of when the book would be released would be nice.

The other thing, so far that I've noticed, is that they books are not readily available through Chapters.com, they are listed on the website, but are sold through another vendor, and the price is quite escalated. I've been back and forth with my marketing and promotions gal who seems to do a lot of other things, and we are trying to sort this out, but it seems Chapters just doesn't like the little guys. So, because I'm Canadian, this is a bit of a disappointment, but I'm sure with CMP's increased success things will change.

Will come back and let you know more as I deal with them further, and yes we are quite a tight group, everyone is super nice and helpful, the authors are great to work with and I've had a few of them over on my blog aswell.

JulianaHaygert

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.julianahaygert.com
I know a couple of authors working with CMP and they seem very pleased =)

Soon, I'll be sending my MS to them too ... though, I can honestly say that this no-date-till-it's-done kind of bothers me a little. But only a little.

Cheers,

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
Alisha, Chapters is a beast to get books into - both their physical and online stores - because they ask for higher-than-normal discounting. We agreed to their terms, but we weren't thrilled about it.

Also, if you don't have an established release date, doesn't that make it hard to plan your promotion? Do they market and promote their titles?

All said, it's nice to see a publisher who specializes in these genres because there's been a hole in the industry for authors looking to publish their books. Hope it all works out well for you.

Annarkie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
brooklynann.blogspot.com
Alishas: The date thing is interesting but I've seen the big guys do it too. You did say they gave you deadlines. Did they mention at least what season it would come out on? I've seen on twitter profiles by authors recently signed with big houses stuff like: "TITLE to be released Spring 20__" Then after a few months they replace it with an actual date. I believe Lynn Rush signed in March and I think she had a release date by June. I'll double check with her on that.

AlishaS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Okay, so, the release date thing, bothered me at first, and I brought it up a few times before signing, but ultimately it's not a big deal.
No I did not get a season for a realease date.
I'm still working with my editor and she suspects the date will be December or Janurary, but nothing concreate yes. I suspect, again, once I'm a little farther along the line with the editing I will get a more specific date.

They do market and promote, but it's also up to the author to do some marketing and promoting as well.

Again, I'm still new, still learning ;)

I'm not sure when along the lines Lynn Rush got her release date but I do know she pushed hers later so she could get some more marketing and promotions in place before the book came out.

Annarkie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
brooklynann.blogspot.com
Sourcebooks ended up counter-offering and I went with them. Still, CMP is pretty awesome. Love their authors, love their cover art, love their enthusiasm, etc. I'd recommend them to anyone in the paranormal genre.

AlishaS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
My query to full to offer was just over a week, however, I did have other offers on the table so that might have pushed them to read faster.
I wouldn't worry that it's only been a week, just because they usually are fast doesn't mean anything :)

CH1

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I sent a query with synopsis etc and received a request for a full from Donna on the same day (29/09).
Fingers crossed and I'll let you know how I get on.

CH1

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Nearly six weeks on a full

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
Tomorrow makes four weeks for me. Although one of the publishers DID say on Twitter that my book looked good, she didn't say if she was reading it, or anything else, but at least that was something. In the meantime, Samhain Publishing, Writer's House and L. Perkins also have the manuscript. Nothing left to do but wait. Good luck to all.