• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Crescent Moon Press

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
No, but every good contract should have a balancing clause that determines how and when a book falls out of print and rights reverting back to the author. I mean, if in seven years your book is still selling, wouldn't that be worth the contract? Plus no legit publisher, either commercial or epub, is going to want to hold on to a book for seven years if in two years it stops selling.

True.

So, how good is their reversion clause? Anybody know?

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
Hannah Karol, Editor-in-chief.... In order to continue her own writing career without questions or comments from others, she has asked that her name be witheld.

I'm misreading that, right? Presumably it's her pseudonym that's being witheld.

Most of the editors appear to have appropriate experience, but the higher-up staff don't appear to have much of a background in publishing. Still, they've been around for three years now, which says something. Website's pitched at readers, covers are alright, extracts are readable, and one of the books in nominated for the EPIC ebook awards.

Okay, as a reader I'm tempted to do a bit of shopping (EDIT - except clicking the ebook purchase link pings you to amazon.com. ARe has more formats available, thankfully, and it's cheaper). As a writer, there's no red flags on the site itself, but the terms quoted last year (which may not still in place, I hasten to add) raise a couple of concerns. It doesn't specify if the rates are gross or net, for a start, and I can't see a print book from an epublisher selling 5000 copies, not without bookshop placement. Royalties twice a year seem pretty unusual; I get monthly with Loose Id and quarterly with Ravenous, and I know some people have raised eyebrows at Ravenous for that before.

Last edited:

para

Registered
Reaction score
I'm misreading that, right? Presumably it's her pseudonym that's being witheld.

Maybe it's her real name. You've got to assume if she writes with a pseudonym or real name her editor, agent etc. are going to know it. So if she's trying to avoid questions then that Hannah will be a pseudonym. I'm not sure I'd want to sign up to a publisher where a NYT author is too ashamed to put her name.

I found this interview with Fallen Angels from 2008: http://www.fallenangelreviews.com/Interviews/2008/December-LindaL-CrescentMoonPress.htm

I think the Judi McCoy mentioned in that interview is this one: http://www.judimccoy.com/about.html
If you check her links page it says she was published by CMP. I wonder if that was while she was working as Acquisitions editor.

Last edited:

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
I doubt she's trying to avoid attention from her editor or agent. I think it's more likely they don't want to be flooded with fan mail (depending on how big an NYT author she is) or spurious submissions.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it's her real name. You've got to assume if she writes with a pseudonym or real name her editor, agent etc. are going to know it. So if she's trying to avoid questions then that Hannah will be a pseudonym. I'm not sure I'd want to sign up to a publisher where a NYT author is too ashamed to put her name.
It isn't always about too ashamed to put your name on something.

Apparently Samhain has at least one big NY author there under a different name. The work is in a very different genre, and apparently not the stuff her typical publisher or reader is interested in. This is no different than the old Nora/JD thing. Yes, that came to light eventually, but it was for a reason.

That said, CMP is not Samhain.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone dealt with this publisher directly?

I have a novella, do they print novellas as well as full length novels?

para

Registered
Reaction score
It isn't always about too ashamed to put your name on something.

Apparently Samhain has at least one big NY author there under a different name. The work is in a very different genre, and apparently not the stuff her typical publisher or reader is interested in. This is no different than the old Nora/JD thing. Yes, that came to light eventually, but it was for a reason.

That said, CMP is not Samhain.

I should clarify I meant that the Editor is afraid to put their published name. Being an NYT author doesn't qualify you as an editor but it seems like they want to trade on the fact the Editor is a big published author without naming them. I really don't see the point of mentioning it if you're going to be so secretive.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Bump

Bumping this as they appear to be actively acquiring. What is people's opinion of them these days?

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I have not, but I also think B&N has cut back severely on small press books that it carries. I know Borders used to be pretty small-press friendly, but well...

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I'm sure a mod will be along to move this, but in the meantime, there's an existing thread here:

<link snipped>

Last edited by a moderator:

JayliaDarkness

Stepping through the Shadows
Registered
Reaction score
So they do e-books and print? I'm really not interested in e-books, and I wondering if it would be a waste of them then to submit to this company.

MountainMoon22

Registered
Reaction score
I'm interested in thoughts on this shop as well. I've been researching this site, and I can't find anything negative about them online, and they seem professional, their authors seem to be very active online. Their authors are listed on Amazon, it appears that the books go out in ebook first, then follow with print. Is this standard?

I liked the excerpts from their books. E-books are the way the wind is blowing to me.

Last edited:

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Bushdoctor:
These are their terms and conditions:

Author's Compensation Package

CMP offers a royalty of 37.5% for all ebooks sold 7.5% for print books up to 5,000 copies sold 10% for print books from copy 5001-10,000 12% for print books from 10,001 and up. Print books to follow ebooks.

As an update, it seems that there has been a change in Crescent Moon's remuneration package as it's being reported on the Tribe Literary Agency Thread (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6218093&postcount=143) that Crescent Moon recently payed an advance for a book. No details on the level of that advance though.

MM

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
Bumping the thread.

I have a full out with them. Their response time was pretty fast, about a week.

Will let you guys know how it turns out.

Last edited:

AlishaS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I signed with CMP. I was offered a few different contracts, from a few different--but similar--publishers. This is the one that I thought my novel fit in best, and would do the best to make it awesome.

Will keep in touch as things progress. But I think CMP is a publisher to add to your watch list :)

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
As an update, it seems that there has been a change in Crescent Moon's remuneration package as it's being reported on the Tribe Literary Agency Thread (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6218093&postcount=143) that Crescent Moon recently payed an advance for a book. No details on the level of that advance though.

MM

No one in on the deal has ever definitively said in public, that I can find, that there was an advance. I emailed Lynn some time ago asking some questions, and she did not mention an advance (I was not presumptuous enough to ask, however). I'd emailed to see if her agent actually had anything to do with the deal.

I wouldn't assume they're an advance paying publisher based on one person's "understanding" that there was an advance. If there was one in Lynn's case, and we don't know that there was, it might have been an exception.

Shelley

Last edited:

AlishaS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
No one in on the deal has ever definitively said in public, that I can find, that there was an advance. I emailed Lynn some time ago asking some questions, and she did not mention an advance (I was not presumptuous enough to ask, however). I'd emailed to see if her agent actually had anything to do with the deal.

I wouldn't assume they're an advance paying publisher based on one person's "understanding" that there was an advance. If there was one in Lynn's case, and we don't know that there was, it might have been an exception.

Shelley

I not ashamed to say I was not offered an advance. And I'm okay with that.
As for who was offered one? I have no idea.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
I not ashamed to say I was not offered an advance. And I'm okay with that.
As for who was offered one? I have no idea.

Few e-publishers offer advances, so you're right not to let it bother you.

Shelley

AlishaS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Few e-publishers offer advances, so you're right not to let it bother you.

Shelley

They also do print.

As for book store distribution, no I image they won't be in every book store. I knew that when I signed on. They are using Ingrams to help distribute and sell their books, however, again that doesn't mean they will get picked up by B&M stores.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If the are using ingans and have a standard discount and returns policy, your chances of getting in some stores is good. If not, not. I always check for the small presses in book stores wherever I go. I haven't seen any of theirs yet.

MountainMoon22

Registered
Reaction score
I signed with them as well - they've been great so far! They're a small press, not an e-publisher. Their books go out mainly via Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and a romance site that I can't think of right now.

Last edited: