• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Crescent Moon Press

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
Hally, I had the exact same experience. Donna disappeared after I did a revision and I got an e-mail from Ms. Murray saying they weren't interested. Not only that, they recommended that I take an online class with a specific person, which I didn't do. I did rewrite much of the book, however, and currently have interest from a much bigger publisher AND an agent on my full manuscript. So don't give up!

Hally

Registered
Reaction score
I originally submitted what their guidelines asked for and was asked for a full by Donna last June. She sent it back with some suggestions and I put them into the novel and resubmitted. Donna sent me an email with a lot more specific ideas in September. I was really impressed that she took the time to respond at all being it was the second time she read it. I sent her updates as I was doing the revisions and I completed them in Feb 2012. I sent it off and within 24hrs got a response from Ms. Murray saying Donna was no longer there and they weren`t going to consider my work. I was pretty upsetand sent an email to Ms. Murray asking if she had read my work and I never received a response.

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
Hmmmmm...the mystery deepens. Sorry to hear about your experience, Hally. Ms. Murray was the one that originally requested my manuscript. That's why I was so surprised at her response. Somehow I get the feeling that things aren't "kosher" between them. In the meantime, there are plenty more fish in the sea. Try Belle Books - they have a great reputation and are open to submissions.

CH1

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the recommendation Popgun, I'll take a look at them.

Hally

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the information on Belle Books:) I will send a query off to them.

shawnarp

Registered
Reaction score
Not knowing the details, my initial reaction was that if it took 5 months for someone to do a rewrite, then they aren't obligated to still be interested in it. That happened to be me before with an agent, and after all that time had passed they were no longer still interested in looking at it. The market changes. They sign other deals. The company's needs change. And they may not want to wait that long on an author to make changes.

GothicKnight

Registered
Reaction score
You're right Alisha. 5 copies in each electronic format. Discount on print copies. Did you try to negotiate print copies into your contract?

Has anyone tried to negotiate the contract with them or have you just signed as is? I'm curious as to how flexible they are.

I tried to negotiate for a few hardcopies but was told flat-out that this is not possible. They are sold at a pretty decent discount to the author, but they are sold nonetheless. Despite that eerie similarity to PA, everything else in the contract looked great.

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
My first publisher, Nightbird Publishing, who only does paperback and hardcover, not only paid a small advance, they gave me ten free copies of my book and I would say they are an even smaller operation than CMP. Nightbird also does offset printing, not POD. I do like CMP book cover designs, though, and their books are available from Ingram and B&K, while Nightbird's aren't - yet.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
My first publisher, Nightbird Publishing, who only does paperback and hardcover, not only paid a small advance, they gave me ten free copies of my book and I would say they are an even smaller operation than CMP. Nightbird also does offset printing, not POD. I do like CMP book cover designs, though, and their books are available from Ingram and B&K, while Nightbird's aren't - yet.

Well, why not? I just made a sub to Nightbird. Seems like a decent outfit.

Tri:)

Sara Lou

YA/UF/Paranormal author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sara-hubbard.com
I got an email from Crescent Moon recently apologizing for not responding sooner. The editor was unable to get to my full and had to pass it on to another editor, but by this point I'd already signed with Etopia (which I'm very happy about). Still, it was nice that they got back to me. I would still sign with Crescent Moon. I think their author's are a pretty tight group and support each other. Their books are well edited and their covers are pretty great, too.

Sara Lou

YA/UF/Paranormal author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sara-hubbard.com
Sara, glad you got a response at least. I'm still waiting on the nudge. Apparently, they're swamped. Shite happens.

tri
Sorry to hear that. They may still get back to you yet. The response I got was quite nice and very apologetic. I think they've definitely got their hands full, so I wouldn't hold it against them.

GothicKnight

Registered
Reaction score
The authors are pretty tight at CMP. When you sign you are invited into their Yahoo group. Everyone is very friendly and supportive. Steph Murray friended me on fb and so did somone else who posts on this thread. It's a good group of people.

I was a little nervous when I received my first email from my editor and he told me he was juggling multiple projects. But he got the MS back to me in 2 weeks and he didn't ask for too many changes. I got the edited MS back to him and now I'm waiting to see the verdict.

Aside from the no free copies to the author thing, which I can live with, I'm pretty happy with CMP.

lisa17

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmmmm...the mystery deepens. Sorry to hear about your experience, Hally. Ms. Murray was the one that originally requested my manuscript. That's why I was so surprised at her response. Somehow I get the feeling that things aren't "kosher" between them. In the meantime, there are plenty more fish in the sea. Try Belle Books - they have a great reputation and are open to submissions.

Belle is just Southern fiction, correct?

CH1

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking of resubmitting to CMP, but now have an offer from Delirium/DarkFuse, so I've accepted that. My book will be in limited edition hardcover, paperback and e-book. Can't wait! Good luck with CMP - I hear they're good to work with.

Congratulations Popgun, all the best with it.

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just signed with CMP to publish my first novel!

Elizabeth George's book Write Away