Creating worlds?

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking about things for one of the many tangents my brain pulls me down, and realized I'm still not sure about the world my characters live in - not really planned it out much yet. At some point during the day I was on another writer's website, and saw they had an entire world mapped out - it was quite cool! That got me to thinking - I wonder how they did that, there's gotta be an app or something, and of course, there is!

http://donjon.bin.sh/fantasy/world/

It has some sort of random CGI world generator that will create an entire world map for you, with water, land, forests, rivers, etc. in either atlas or antique styles, and includes names too!

31125501015_f8b23244b8.jpg

30318760693_3454dde21c.jpg

I know you probably won't be able to see the detail here, but I was very impressed with the quality of the images. As mentioned earlier, the site software does insert its own names, but those are easily changed, and it helps you form thoughts on how to scope things out in your own writings, so I wanted to share it here.

ETA: Just noticed the option to uncheck whether you label the map or not, so even better! :)

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I've always had the feeling that writers who go about building a "world", and then trying to inject a story into it, are playing cart-before-horse. Create a story in which things function according to the way the world around it works. It's hard for me to conceive of a "world" without something of interest happening to characters in it. So my recommendation would be to think "story" first, and let that drag its own world into it, as appropriate.

caw

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Either way thought this map creation utility was kind of cool, regardless of whether you do it first or second

RX-79G

Banned
Reaction score
If you use this utility and incorporate it into something you're writing, can you then use it if the work gets published? Or would using the material in commercial work cause a copyright issue.

It seems like a cool map generator, but a simple and completely original world map can be created with a pen in a few minutes and avoid potential conflicts.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Hadn't thought of that LOL Never mind then...

RX-79G

Banned
Reaction score
It could still be a good tool for visualizing your world and the characters' travel.