• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Cranthorpe Millner Publishers Ltd.

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
They have a biography coming out by Shaun Wallace who is best-known as a Mastermind winner and one of the resident "chasers" on TV quiz show "The Chase". Mr Wallace is barrister and repped by Champions Agency. This would suggest that, though new, they have a level of respectablility. Kirstie-Ellen Smillie has worked in acquisitions for a major UK independent publisher (not named) according to the site.

Last edited:

writera

Registered
Reaction score
Are they just a hybrid publisher - i.e. you have to pay to publish with them? Do they offer any traditional publishing model?

The wording they use really reminds me of Austin McCauley.

Last edited:

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
They offer an "appraisal" service, which I have to assume requires a payment and the wording throughout the site sounds very much like a Vanity (i.e.: Hybrid)
Kirsty-Ellen Smillie isn't a common name and a quick google search is showing it's likely she, that used to work as sub Editor at Austin McCauley (which would then make sense to not name to her past publisher experience)
https://www.austinmacauley.com/blog/employee-appreciation-day-austin-macauley

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are they just a hybrid publisher - i.e. you have to pay to publish with them? Do they offer any traditional publishing model?

The wording they use really reminds me of Austin McCauley.

What you're describing is a vanity press, not a "hybrid publisher."

There are hybrid authors, who are both trade published and self-published. I've yet to see a so-called "hybrid publisher" that wasn't a vanity press in disguise.

Clairels

Born at sea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.princessofpirates.wordpress.com
There are hybrid authors, who are both trade published and self-published. I've yet to see a so-called "hybrid publisher" that wasn't a vanity press in disguise.

Sadly, the terms get thrown around so loosely that a lot of people think they're one and the same. I actually encountered someone on a FB writers group who was trying to insist to me that because Brandon Sanderson has called himself a "hybrid author," that means he must have paid a "hybrid publisher" to publish his book.

Happy Thanksgiving

Autumn image for Thanksgiving