Converting an rtf document to Word

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Maryn

Masked, Vaxed, Traveling
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know jack about conversion, but I know there are legal, free clones of older versions of Word that save in Word's format, as filename.doc.

They are OpenOffice and LibreOffice. They're quite similar. I have used both, and although I own a copy of Word, I most often write using whichever one of those two freebies is installed on the computer I'm writing on. I have zero difficulties moving between them, occasionally throwing Word into the mix as well, although mine is new enough that it saves in filename.docx by default, so it takes me an extra click to save as filename.doc.

You have to get into some fairly esoteric uses before you learn of things Word can do that your free software cannot. So far, I have found exactly three things, none of which I need to do routinely.

So as a first step, get yourself free, perfectly legal word processing software that can save in filename.doc format, unless you prefer to pay for Word--which is, of course, a perfectly valid option.

Maryn, who'll keep you company until tech people come along

Reactions: kinokonoronin

ChaseJxyz

Writes birds and bird accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
You can ctrl+A ctrl+C then ctrl + V into Google Docs, check it for whatever formatting issues, and then file>download>.docx. That's free, legal, and can be down in any web browser.

Maryn

Masked, Vaxed, Traveling
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hold them up and we'll help you count.

Whoa... I got eleven.

• Haha
Reactions: kinokonoronin

TrinaM

Registered
Reaction score
BTW - if you are still struggling with this, you might consider using Open Office. While there may be some slight formatting issues, you can open an rtf document in Open Office and then Open Office can export as a Word doc.

AW Admin

Herder of Hamsters
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.digitalmedievalist.com
I note that I haven't actively supported Windows users since mumble-mumble, so I'm hoping someone will have more updated information.

Windows 10 should include the free WordPad app from Microsoft.

If, you simply want to save the .rtf file as a Word file, I believe that you can still Open the RTF file in WordPad, and use Save As to Save it as .doc or .docx.

ldlago

Registered
Reaction score
I note that I haven't actively supported Windows users since mumble-mumble, so I'm hoping someone will have more updated information.

Windows 10 should include the free WordPad app from Microsoft.

If, you simply want to save the .rtf file as a Word file, I believe that you can still Open the RTF file in WordPad, and use Save As to Save it as .doc or .docx.
Thanks for the reply. I've been writing with Wordpad for years, and I'm happy with it. I think you might have to download some version of Microsoft Word before you can save a document as a .doc or .docx. I may be wrong. I've never used Microsoft Word. I really should learn. Most places looking for manuscripts will only accept Word documents. Without it, your options are limited.

AW Admin

Herder of Hamsters
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.digitalmedievalist.com

Featured Book