• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Content site] Myfreeread.com

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.myfreeread.com/

YADS: Yet Another Display Site. This one takes advertising. They spammed me today.

The pitch: You get to "promote" your writing on their site (i.e., donate it to the site owners). People will supposedly come there to read free e-books and articles, the traffic will attract advertisers, and eventually you'll get a share of the site's advertising revenue.

This is unworkable for all the usual reasons, the biggest being that readers won't wade through slush, there's a surfeit of interesting, well-written material out there on the web, and all the other sites that have already tried this have failed.

I'm starting to think the urge to put up display sites is embedded in the collective unconscious of our species. Nothing else explains how often this basically bad idea gets reinvented.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
I actually think it is possible to do a halfway-decent "display" site by using social networking features combined with an independent publisher focus. Basically, a GoodReads for books you are more likely to find on FictionWise than in a brick-and-mortar store.

Not that any author should have to pay to display their work anywhere. But if someone actually invested in a website (i.e. paid for real web design rather than producing your run-of-the-mill "I have no graphic or design skills and no experience but I've heard of something called DreamWeaver" website) and created the right focus, I think it could do alright as a specialized social network. Build in tie-ins to the Facebook API, etc, it could work.

Medievalist

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I actually think it is possible to do a halfway-decent "display" site by using social networking features combined with an independent publisher focus. Basically, a GoodReads for books you are more likely to find on FictionWise than in a brick-and-mortar store..

That's a GoodReads Author page.

It's free.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Unsuccessfully, apparently. Gone now.

Happy Thanksgiving

Autumn image for Thanksgiving