• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Coffee shop writing?

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FionnJameson

Fionn: 0/Year: 24
Registered
Reaction score
I can't help but see this as being highly insulting. You're in a writing forum. We all write in different ways and different places. I do most of my writing outside the home. Like, ninety percent. I don't SHOW OFF in public. I write. Think before you speak.

WORD.

I live downtown in a small town (har har) and so I have access to two coffee shops within 5 minute walking distance and I usually hit the coffee
shop on the weekends as I have a really, really hard time writing at home, what with the annoying cat we have that hates my laptop and will attack it on sight if I'm on it for more than half an hour at a time.

I DO NOT go to a coffeeshop to be "seen". If anything, I plug in my earphones and I ignore people. I'm probably that angry looking girl in the corner no one wants to be around because she puts out bad vibes.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
I go to coffee shops when I have trouble focusing and need to get the hell away from my computer. (When I'm "out" writing, I do it in my notebook.) And it's definitely not out of a desire to have people notice me. It's just to get words down.

amamoth

this space left intentionally blank
Registered
Reaction score
However, right now one of my cats is in the midst of heart failure, so I'm staying home as much as possible. I want to make the most of the time he's got left.

:( That's tough to hear. How old is he?

To answer the question, I'd love to do some more writing in coffee shops but the 5 within walking distance from me are super tiny and super popular so it's hard to get a table. These days I'll usually sit in the car and get some writing done in between errands. With the windows down and a large iced whatever in the cup holder, it's like being outside(!) but I've got some privacy at the same time. But one thing I'd love to do is set up shop at a diner every morning like one of my screenwriting professors used to do. I'm afraid of getting the evil eye from pissed off servers, though.

JamesBaldwin

Fancy Dandy Man
Registered
Reaction score
:( That's tough to hear. How old is he?

To answer the question, I'd love to do some more writing in coffee shops but the 5 within walking distance from me are super tiny and super popular so it's hard to get a table. These days I'll usually sit in the car and get some writing done in between errands. With the windows down and a large iced whatever in the cup holder, it's like being outside(!) but I've got some privacy at the same time. But one thing I'd love to do is set up shop at a diner every morning like one of my screenwriting professors used to do. I'm afraid of getting the evil eye from pissed off servers, though.

Poor kitty. All the best :(

I don't find that cafes/diners really mind having writers set up camp. They add to the atmosphere! Some places really love it, too... you become 'their' writer. I've had that happen before, and it's awesome.

arkanis50

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.youseenthat.com
Poor kitty. All the best :(

I don't find that cafes/diners really mind having writers set up camp. They add to the atmosphere! Some places really love it, too... you become 'their' writer. I've had that happen before, and it's awesome.

Sometimes you can actually become a 'poet/author in residence' or whatever term they use. Discount coffee anyone? Don't ask me how you swing that.

pezerp59

Inexorable
Registered
Reaction score
I have two cups of coffee with breakfast. I'm not a coffee shop person.

dontpanic

and carry a towel
Registered
Reaction score
I've never tried writing in a coffee shop but I really would love to try. Sometimes I like to take walks or write outside just to get a change of scenery and stuff. I reckon I could do planning or editing but perhaps not full on drafting.
I have a few favourite places near where I live and am always on the lookout for new tearooms - I am a tea drinker primarily - so I think this is definitely something to put on the to-do list! :)

Jodie

writer in the making
Registered
Reaction score
I can write just about anywhere. I do like coffee shops though, they have just the right amount of background noise.

Gargoyle

Working on plot and structure!
Registered
Reaction score
I find a quiet place to my liking (people and noise can be a huge distraction for me). Everybody is different. What works for one may not work for another. Go for it!

Alex

CJ Knightrey

She Who Constantly Changes Avatars
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sitting in a coffee shop right now actually. :p Seeing as I live in a house with five other people, sometimes it's nice to just get out and have a drink and sit in a place where people don't bother you.

Jack Parker

Sleep is only caffeine deprivation.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey! Sorry I'm late. Fun topic!

Sitting in a coffee shop for the sake of sitting in a coffee shop to write doesn't work for me. I'm not even sure why.

Here, however, is an idea that's worked really well for me: I like to go somewhere similar to the atmosphere or environment where the current piece I'm working on is taking place. Minneapolis and the surrounding areas are RICH with variety!

For example, if a character is in a strangers house to ask questions about a mystery, a family member, etc., what would that feel like? Well, I can't just walk into a strangers house to get that feeling so I've done the next best thing and gone to IKEA and sat in one of their model rooms. Kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, living room, offices... it's all there with total strangers milling about. Now I'm more keenly aware of what the character I'm writing about is going through. I look around the room, notice things, actually look into drawers after my character asks for a glass of water, etc.,

I stay there until I'm done with that atmosphere. At times I've written pages and gone on to other scenes while under the inspiration of those rooms.

I've done the same thing by putting myself in similar environments as my current scenes. It not only inspires me but reminds me to use all five senses. I've written in hospitals, neighborhood streets, parks, businesses, churches, coffee shops, at a lake, in the woods, in abandoned structures, restaurants, etc.

I don't do this nearly as much as I used to. However, when the need arises, I have the world outside my doorstep waiting for their cue.

Like Hukt on Fonix, it werks fer me! (And gets me out of the apartment!) So, if I show up on your doorstep with a notebook, a pen and a cheeky grin, you'll know why. I won't be too long.

Triplec224

Registered
Reaction score
I've done it, although I get paranoid as others have stated. I did find that my best writing was done somewhere away from my house though, so there's a lot to be said for finding a different environment to hone your focus.

Jack Parker

Sleep is only caffeine deprivation.
Registered
Reaction score
I've done it, although I get paranoid as others have stated. I did find that my best writing was done somewhere away from my house though, so there's a lot to be said for finding a different environment to hone your focus.

I agree with finding a different environment. It works great for me. I know some who must write in the same room at the same desk. It's their comfort zone and where they work best.

I just don't get the paranoia thing, though. Do people think total strangers are going to peer over their shoulder and start laughing? I don't think that's ever happened. When I do write in coffee shops and other locations, if people even bother to notice me and ask, I just tell them I'm a writer. It peaks their curiosity and gets them interested in you as a person. I don't apologize for my writing or tell them that it's "nothing." Speak confidently and authoritatively on it. I've made friends this way, actually.

And who couldn't use a few more friends in today's world where pulling your own teeth is easier than making new friends?

nomadictendencies

Registered
Reaction score
I love coffee shop writing but I've realized I only can write when I'm in a corner seat with my back facing the wall and I can watch everyone. I usually write more in public than I do at home. I think it might be because I feel more inclined to keep typing and procrastinate less at the coffee shop because I feel bad for taking up a table especially when it's a busy period.

I usually write in coffee shops in my work lunch break and I've never been asked what I'm doing. I think most people assume it's work related.

Erin Latimer

Stay in and write.
Registered
Reaction score
I like writing in coffee shops! But I tend to make funny faces while I write (I think I'm copying whatever facial expression I think the character should be making).

I think I would scare the starbucks customers...

Aquarius

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
I've tried writing in a Starbucks...didn't go well. Maybe it was the utter pretentiousness of it all, the music completely sucking, or the people sitting next to me, giving me dirty look because my headphones were loud and they could probably hear me blasting Linkin Park. ;-)

There is a independent tea/coffee shop nearby me, InsaniTEA, that I'm curious to try and write inn. It gives off a hippy/peaceful vibe that I adore, have live entertainment every week (along with the alternative music they usually have playing), comfortable couches, and all the cookies I could possibly eat.

Wolf Coven

Banned
Reaction score
I wrote lots at Denny's :D Open 24 hours, wide array of foods.

Though I admit usually I ordered Seasoned Fries, Onion Rings or Samplers, finger foods and snacks.

now I gotta go 30 min cardio at the gym to burn off all that fat :D

Wolf Coven

Banned
Reaction score
Though I admit, I am always rather protective of my privacy despite being in a public restaurant.

I always like sitting with my back to a wall and usually tucked away in a corner with my bluetooth keyboard and tablet Samsung Galaxy note 10.1 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Book