• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Coffee and Cream Publishing

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The website appears to be focussed on attracting new writers, not on selling any of C&C's publications, which is one strike against them.

Its About Us page shows no prior experience in publishing.

The website is a mess; the pages all seem to require two click-throughs to be able to read anything in full; the writing on it is clumsy and confusing.

I wouldn't.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
The real world should be embraced and reflective in the market. What attracts couples in stories and readers to reading the story sometimes begin with differences and the subtle contras.

I hope the person who wrote that isn't an editor at C&C!

The founder of C&C is strangely coy about revealing her identity:

I am an African-American consultant to one of the top 5 motion picture production companies in the world, but my true love (aside from my partner in a blended relationship) is romantic fiction.

No name is given, just "A Member of Romance Writer's Association (www.rwa.org)". The 'A' does of course stand for 'America', not 'Association'.

Goodreads reveals that C&C's Acquisitions Editor is Elizabeth Lee (http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/656103-coffee-and-cream-publishing-accepting-ebook-submission)

Is this the same organisation as the Philadelphia-based Coffee and Cream Publishing Co. mentioned here?
http://www.jogomusic.com/links.html

Last edited:

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
C&C is advertising for a freelance line editor, a freelance proofreader and freelance cover artists. Shouldn't all this have been in place before they started asking for submissions?

It's also interesting to note from the other thread that it's three months since someone pointed out the spelling and grammatical errors on the C&C website, a problem that has yet to be addressed.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Well, C&C is reading this thread - they've corrected 'Romance Writer's Association' to 'Romance Writers of America'! Perhaps they could improve their site even further by naming staff members and giving some information about their previous experience in the publishing industry.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
FoamyRules:
It would be helpful if someone from C&C would come and answer questions about their staff, their contract, and publishing experience.

What further questions could you possibly have? This is a new start-up with no information about the people running it. Why would you even consider submitting your manuscript to them?

I get that you're new and you're doing absolutely the right thing by researching how publishing is supposed to work. However I equally know that you've been advised the best thing to do is to start by looking to get an agent and go down the commercial publishing route, so I'm a bit confused as to why you seem to be considering start-ups.

MM

FoamyRules

Hamtaro Rules
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thetigerseye.valentchamber.com
What further questions could you possibly have? This is a new start-up with no information about the people running it. Why would you even consider submitting your manuscript to them?

I get that you're new and you're doing absolutely the right thing by researching how publishing is supposed to work. However I equally know that you've been advised the best thing to do is to start by looking to get an agent and go down the commercial publishing route, so I'm a bit confused as to why you seem to be considering start-ups.

MM
Well, I am researching agents for myself; however, a friend of mine has submitted a manuscript to them. So I guess I'm curious and worried is all, but I am still trying to get an agent and go down the commercial publishing route.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Foamy, I suggest you get your friend to sign up to AW right now.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I rant about fake contests more than the average bear, but I don't think it applies here. The winner gets $500. That is a prize therefore this is a contest.

Nexus

Evolute
Registered
Reaction score
I rant about fake contests more than the average bear, but I don't think it applies here. The winner gets $500. That is a prize therefore this is a contest.

I agree. But not all that glitters is gold, and not all that is a contest is particularly favorable to join - especially if it requires an entry fee.

My point in that mini-rant is more to offer a differing opinion. I tend to agree with the Science Fiction Writers of America in their logic around recommending contests, and which ones offer little in the way of reward.

I mean, yes, 500 dollars is some cash and it sure is useful, but without the credit that I would expect to get with my story, I might as well not submit a story to another contest - maybe the lottery. Since the lottery offers the same thing - maybe less of a chance to win, but you win nothing but cash - which is what you would win here (in my opinion).

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
All good points, but quite separate from suggesting it is not a contest or is in anyway dishonest (i.e. not what it claims to be).

There are literally thousands of contests like this one open right now. It seems a bit arbitrary to act like this particular publisher is doing anything unusual by running one. As this sort of thing goes, theirs is probably better than average.

I still wouldn't submit to it, but plenty of other people will--without in any way having been misled.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Although the site was updated over the summer re: their 2014 contest, Twitter feed stopped Jan '12 and there's no sign of anything published.