• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Clean Reads (formerly Astraea Press)

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I searched for this, and went back quite a few pages and didn't find anything. So sorry mods if this is a dup post, please merge :)

So... I just got offered a contract from them! They'd like me to agree before hand to a few changes (nothing too major, just getting rid of some unnecessary uses of swear words, a few references to pre-marital sex, and a title change (they thought it was a little offensive)

Anyways, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about them. If I agree to the changes, they will send me a contract straight away.

http://www.astraeapress.com/

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
Speaking strictly as a consumer who tried to buy a friend's book earlier in the year, I was not impressed with the book buying experience.

There was a short download window for books bought. If you don't have a chance to immediately backup your ebook and your computer goes belly up without warning, you're screwed and out the $.

I do hope they changed the limited download policy since then.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Hmm. I has assumed the were sweet across the board (no sex), they now look to be more "religious" (no sins)? I mean their guidelines now say "open door sex" is okay so long as the couple is married?

AstraeaPress

Registered
Reaction score
Saw this one and while I was on, too, lol.

AP isn't a religious house. In fact, we've only got a handful of truly inspirational work. We're just a non-erotic house that publishes only "clean" stuff. Which means the focus is on the story and not the sex. I like to think of us a PG/PG13 house.

And the 48 hour buy limit/two downloads is to protect our authors from sharing links. This is true for any house, ebook or print. You lose it and you want it back, you either have to buy it again or do some spring cleaning. ;o) Seriously, I've had people email me and tell me they missed the deadline and their link expired. I haven't made anyone buy it again yet. The safest way to protect your downloads is to upload them directly to your ereader, email them to yourself or have online backup so your files are protected.

I'm always available to answer questions, so feel free to email me if anyone has any suggestions. We're still new, but I want to be the best one out there!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I wouldn't spend money to buy something again that I had already bought. I'd be annoyed and go elsewhere to spend my money. I certainly wouldn't pay for it twice.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Forgive my confusion but the submission guidelines don't say "no sex". they say: no sex outside of marriage, no violence and no cursing. That is what is giving me, personally, a religious vibe.

AstraeaPress

Registered
Reaction score
The book doesn't have to have a religious theme or be inspirational. And we do carry several pretty edgy titles. We're just a place for all those people who don't write erotica and don't write inspirational (although we certainly publish that). We're just trying to be a place that adults and teenagers can come for good, clean reads and no one has to worry about content or ratings.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Barnes & Noble and All Romance eBooks both allow multiple downloads for an unspecified amount of time without incurring extra charges.

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
The safest way to protect your downloads is to upload them directly to your ereader, email them to yourself or have online backup so your files are protected.

In a perfect world yes but Murphy's Law tends to kick in at the most unexpected times. Unfortunately, your limited download policy works the same as DRM. Honest readers have problems opening or obtaining the files and those who want to crack the security or the share the books with strangers will find a way.

I'll likely be sticking with ARe for many purchases even though I'd like my writer friends to receive the biggest royalty cut.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Astraea Press

Nevermind, found it. :D

Last edited:

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
Just wanted to stop buy an update this thread.

I was offered a contract with Astraea, the owner there was super nice and accommodating, answering every possible question I could think of.
Their contract was pretty standard, and nothing off putting.
Though I chose to go with another publisher, Astraea is definitely a publisher to add to your list if you have something that fits into their target genres.

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
short Halloween story

The Ghost of Herbert Grezley is a short Halloween story I have coming out with this publisher. The editing went well, I am happy to say. My Editor worked with me with great concern and was easy to work with. Just got the cover and it's great.

OH~Alex

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't subbed with Astrea, but I did work with Stephanie as my editor on a project with another house.

My favorite editor thus far.

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
I had a short Christmas story out with Astraea and now I have a full length novel "Outside That Door" coming out soon. I also signed with them for another novel I had out some time ago with someone else. The editing was really good and Stephanie has been great. She's quick to answer you're emails and easy to work with.

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
release

Outside That Door will be released on Tuesday March 6th.
I was very pleased with the way this one went. Usually I worry about how my work reads but with this one, I haven't. I feel it's one of my best works. Astraea has great editors who really take an interest in your work.

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
I have another book coming out with them, What Happened to Anna? which will be it's 3rd edition. So far I've been happy with this publisher. She gets the royalites out on time, the editing is good and the covers are great. I can't send in some of my other work because of the sex and /or the laugnage but the ones I did send in were easy to correct.

K. Victoria Chase

Registered
Reaction score
Website
torilounge.blogspot.com
Equery on May 16th; contract offered on May 23rd; contract accepted today!

I spoke to two of their authors (who are selling well) and they spoke very highly of their experiences with Astraea from editing, to marketing, and the chance to have their books in print--which is something I wanted from my next publisher. The owner has been very gracious in answering all my questions and waiting until I heard back from the other publishers I had subbed. Plus, I believe my book will be out by September! Off to a very positive start. :)

ohthatmomagain

writing, working, weeping, winning
Registered
Reaction score
That's awesome!! I know we've been to a lot of the same agents threads. I'm glad your book finally found a home :)

ohthatmomagain

Registered
Reaction score
I accepted a contract with Astraea today. queried 6/23. Offer 7/2.

Last edited:

ohthatmomagain

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you :) I looked at it wrong. It was 6/23. I'll go back and change it.