classical music compositions

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

ericalynn

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure why I can't completely wrap my head around this style rule, but maybe someone can clarify for me.

I know song titles are notated with quotations, and albums are typically italicized. Yes?

Where I'm running into confusion is with classical music, which is heavily featured in my novel. Oftentimes, they're only referring to one section of a piece. So, is this correct:

1. Suite Bergamasque by Debussy. This is the name of the suite as a whole. My character only plays "Clair de Lune," which is the third movement. So, the title of the whole piece is italicized, and the individual section is in quotations?

2. Another character plays Paths by Takemitsu. She refers to the entire piece, so when I refer to it, it is italicized?

3. "Ballerina Dance," from the ballet Petrushka by Stravinsky. Correct?

Sorry if this all seems simple, or redundant. I just need some confirmation!

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I believe you have it right. A piece as a whole is italicized, while a movement within a piece is in quotation marks.

Note: I think the B in Suite Bergamasque should be lower case. (Suite bergamasque)

arcan

Registered
Reaction score
For the "Clair de lune" I wouldn't necessarily bother to write that it's from the "suite bergamasque". It's famous enough to say just Debussy's clair de lune.

ericalynn

Registered
Reaction score
For the "Clair de lune" I wouldn't necessarily bother to write that it's from the "suite bergamasque". It's famous enough to say just Debussy's clair de lune.

Thanks for the input! In my MS, the teacher says it once, when introducing the piece and giving some background on the composition, but then for the rest of the time, it is only referred to as "Clair de lune."

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I’m resurrecting this thread because I’ve read all six posts (repeatedly) and I’m still unsure.

Here’s what I have in my current WIP (‘current’ used loosely because there seems no end in sight with this age-gathering manuscript that proves overly fond of the editing phase):

Johann Sebastian Bach has had enough of the rude talking during his performance of Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 565; Bach and organ poof out of my mind.

Should it be in quotes, with BWV 565 illuminated (keeping in mind that there is a BWV 538), like this:

Johann Sebastian Bach has had enough of the rude talking during his performance of "Toccata and Fugue in D minor"; Bach and organ poof out of my mind.

*Any help is very much appreciated :)*

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure what Chicago says about this, but at my publication we do NOT use the quote marks for generic composition titles like that one. Your first version is correct. (Not sure about the BWV, but if that’s necessary to distinguish it from other pieces, I would keep it.)

Reactions: M.S. Wiggins

Featured Book