• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Claire Gerus Literary Agency

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
I queried her on 8/25 at 10:30 PM and she requested a partial two hours later. Now that's fast.

I hope she can see past my less-than-impressive resume.

WriterGirl007

Registered
Reaction score
Claire Gerus

I have been trying to find information about this agent. Found one listing, but was just wondering if anyone has had any experiences with this agent -- good or bad. I am considering sending a query to her.

WriterGirl007

Registered
Reaction score
RE: Excuse Me announcement

I DID try to look for a previous thread. BUT...and there are some serious navigation bugs on this site... I was unable to access. I even did a "Google" search for the agent in question, and found a link to the discussion on this site. But guess what? THE LINK DIDN'T WORK. This site constantly locks up on me. It's way too frustrating to even continue to use.

I do apologize for the apparent "wrong post," but I only posted as a last resort when I was unable to get your site nav to work. I was surprised to be so chastized by fellow authors.

So, EXCUSE me.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Um - who is the agent your searching? (Maybe this post got moved from another thread ...)

Welcome :welcome:

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW.

I wonder if you may be having browser or other computer issues. If you would like to contact me via PM I'd be happy to help you out. For a start you ought to clear your cache and run a spyware scan if you haven't done so already.

I'm concerned because AW seems to work very well on most browsers. If there's some browser that's not rendering the site properly, it would be useful for the mods to know.

If you decide to PM me, let me know what operating system you're using and which browser.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Unless I missed something, the reply to your post simply said "This agent is discussed here" and provided the link. That's hardly chastisement.

And I agree with JulieB (hey, that rhymes!); I notice that when my cache is too full I have a hard time accessing this site (as well as a few others.) Deleting my temporary internet files usually takes care of it. So, something to try.

Welcome, I hope you get the problem cleared up and stick around.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Um . . . maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I went to find your other post, and the only response was to check out a thread that already had a discussion about it. I didn't see anyone chastising you, but maybe there is something I'm missing, I'm not sure.

At any rate, that often happens just so you know to new and old members alike. If you start a thread that has an already existing conversation about it, often your thread will be merged with the other one. It is not only helpful for the poster, but any future posters, to have the information in one location.

As to your AW difficulties, it really isn't the fault of AW. It isn't like AW is going out of its way to lock up on you or anything. I would suggest following Julie's advice, often it comes down to the browser you are using or whatever. I had a similar problem with a different site. I get how frustrating that is, but it can be fixed fortunately.

And lastly welcome! I hope you manage to fix the problem and do stick around. It's unfortunate you had such a bad first experience, but hopefully from now on things will only get better!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I DID try to look for a previous thread. BUT...and there are some serious navigation bugs on this site... I was unable to access. I even did a "Google" search for the agent in question, and found a link to the discussion on this site. But guess what? THE LINK DIDN'T WORK. This site constantly locks up on me. It's way too frustrating to even continue to use.

I do apologize for the apparent "wrong post," but I only posted as a last resort when I was unable to get your site nav to work. I was surprised to be so chastized by fellow authors.

So, EXCUSE me.
You don't need to use Search. Go to the Index and scroll, or use your browser's "find on this page" function.

ETA: If you continue to have problems with vBulletin, check our Tech Help forum.

52greg

Registered
Reaction score
Claire Gerus

I queried Claire Gerus in August, and followed up with an email yesterday. She rejected the novel, but she said she liked the story idea.

So, I've already queried another agent.

52greg

Registered
Reaction score
Claire Gerus

I got rejected by Claire for the second time today, but she did say my story was a "clever idea." She seems to be a very nice woman.

SkipII

Claire is great!

She is considering one of my manuscripts and has been a fantastic book editor and encourager on it. I have learned a lot from her already. She's honest, has that gentle but clear way of making her point, clearly has a good sense for what makes a good story, and is exceptionally responsive. She is a rare gem among agents I have met.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
I had a good experience with Claire also. I sent her a query for a book she wasn't interested in. She wrote back and told me she is putting together an anthology of essays by women writers for an upcoming book to be published by Kaplan, and would I like to contribute? She sent me the guidelines, and I wrote an essay, which she accepted for an anthology to be published in 2009. It wasn't quite what I was looking publish, but getting published is always fun. She is an excellent editor. If you're looking for a nonfiction agent who knows how to edit, she's your pick.

Red.Ink.Rain

Not your kid brother's YA
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristin-briana.livejournal.com
I sent her a query two days ago, after reading all your great comments about her. My book is YA fantasy though, so I doubt it's up her alley. But there's no harm in trying. :)

Senior Chief

Registered
Reaction score
I signed a contract with Claire Gerus today. She is already shopping my memoir "Someone Like Me, My 20 Years in the Navy - with Cerebral Palsy"

Claire is very knowledgeable and very nice also.

It is a great day!

v/r Senior

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
I signed a contract with Claire Gerus today. She is already shopping my memoir "Someone Like Me, My 20 Years in the Navy - with Cerebral Palsy"
Senior, congrats to you. Claire is a dear friend of mine, and I can guarantee that you'll adore working with her. She's incredibly knowledgeable, and everyone knows her because she's been around for many years.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
i queried at the weekend and sent 5 pages.

Received a personalised rejection today,from her assistant, it was very complimentary with regards to my writing, it just wasn't the book for her.

So, all in all, I'm well impressed. She seems like a great agent.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
Here's my dillema.

I have been in limbo with her now for more than two months. She has my proposal and, initially, had hoped to get back to me within a week. That didn't happen. She responded to a couple of later emails saying she is interested, but that she needed just a few more days before she could get to it.

I don't want to bug her any more and, given the amount of time that has passed, I'm sure I should just consider it a rejection and move on, but I actually found myself feeling guilty sending the proposal to two agents who requested it this weekend.

My interactions with her have been positive and I would really, really like to sign with her, especially after all that I have read here and elsewhere. But I know it's not necessarily wise to just sit and wait. I just have this incredible fear that if I move on, I'll letting go of a good thing.

Am I crazy?

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You aren't crazy and you don't have an exclusive. Keep submitting to others, but keep your fingers crossed. Claire is terrific and if she is still considering you, that is a very good thing. She rejects quickly and accepts slowly.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Soccermom! That's good to hear.
I love your blog, by the way.

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
I also have a Claire quandry! When she rejected me a few months ago, she told me I could resubmit when I did some revisions. So, I resubmitted on the 30th. Now, I know that isn't a long time, but I'm used to Claire being super quick. She responded to the query after a day, and then two days the first time. She even answered questions I had about resubmitting two or three days later. Now this was only a ten pager partial.

Should I inquire or resend? Should I wait until the 30th...you know give it a full month? I'm wondering if something happened with the email or it got shuffled somewhere. I'd really like to resend since I've gotten agent feedback and revised since the 30th.