• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Claire Gerus Literary Agency

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Robyn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rgporter.net
I just got a request for a partial today. I like the fact " She likes fiction that subtly tackles important real-world subjects". That is so in this ms.

TracyG

Registered
Reaction score
Partial rejected by Lora. Sad day.

I'm so sorry to hear about that...
I queried 2/7/11, and from the looks of the comments on this thread, I may need to go look up whether sometimes no response=no for her.

IHeartWriting

Lurking in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jblynn.wordpress.com
Just wondering if anyone else is still waiting on submissions sent in December? I sent Claire my full on 12/17 and not a peep since.

Perhaps I should just add her to my no respone means "no" pile? That would make four fulls that seem to be going ignored. (the rest are August/September submissions)

tarak

for certain qualities of "sane"
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Central Pennsylvania - the gateway to Harrisburg
Just wondering if anyone else is still waiting on submissions sent in December? I sent Claire my full on 12/17 and not a peep since.

Perhaps I should just add her to my no respone means "no" pile? That would make four fulls that seem to be going ignored. (the rest are August/September submissions)
I wouldn't think she's a no response agent, especially to a full. She apologized for taking a month to get back to me on a query. I think SOP is to nudge after six months on a full (although I admit I might be wrong on that). Have you nudged your August/September subs?

WendyandCharles

Registered
Reaction score
Lora Rivera

I received a request for a sample of our story and sent back a synopsis and the sample. She was very prompt in her response that she had received it and will get back to me shortly. I don't know if anything will come of it but I am ever hopeful. Lora Rivera has been prompt and on the ball with me. That is nice to see.

ksbaby

Perhaps, today is the day.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Prompt & friendly response along with polite confirmation. First & last 15 pages requested which was the oddest request I've had, but still excited:D

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Queried Ms. Rivera 2/7
Partial request (first 30 pages) received 2/22
Full request received 3/19!

YA science fiction

I'm actually in the middle of a semi-massive rewrite after four other agents requested R&Rs a few weeks ago, and when I let Ms. Rivera know about the revision, she said she'd be happy to wait. So far, my interaction with her has been prompt, polite, and professional. Heartily recommend.

gladspooky

Registered
Reaction score
Queried their agency on 11/29, received a request from Lora Rivera for a partial on 12/5 and a request for a full on 1/5, a request to revise on 2/2, and sent the revised full on 2/22.

All in all, very nice, very prompt, and I always received an email notifying me that she got my materials.
Update.

Received word that my novel had reached the top of her to-be-read pile on 3/21 and received a mostly form rejection letter the very next day.

Immediately afterward she tweeted that the Claire Gerus Agency is closed to new fiction submissions for the time being.

gladspooky

Registered
Reaction score
Her correspondence to me has done nothing but improve the quality of my book, so I will not begrudge her the opportunity to reject my book when and how she decides to do it.

A++ agent, would submit again.

IDGS

@LeaveItToIan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.iandgsandusky.com
While I've been working with Claire Gerus with my non-fiction project for a month or so now, I just got my letter of agreement yesterday!

Seriously excited, it's great to work with professionals!

Tuuli

Research Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Lora a few months ago and landed a partial request. This then became a full request. Yesterday, I received an email telling me she'd passed my ms to the senior agent since she's the one selecting fiction. Great, but Claire doesn't rep YA. I didn't realize that Lora is no longer repping fiction.

Tuuli

Research Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Lora is no longer accepting queries and she's only going to rep non-fiction. This is according to the info on Querytracker.

Tuuli

Research Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Claire wanted to talk to me about my novel, but so far she's been too busy to call (which I understand). Since she hasn't sold a novel in a few years (but man are her non-fiction sales impressive), and I'm not sure how extensive her YA knowledge is (very important to me if she's planning to suggest revisions), I'm moving on. She sounds like a great agent. But I don't think she's the right one for me. I've had too many friends who have left an agent who weren't right for them. I don't want to be part of that statistic. ;)

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Claire wanted to talk to me about my novel, but so far she's been too busy to call (which I understand). Since she hasn't sold a novel in a few years (but man are her non-fiction sales impressive), and I'm not sure how extensive her YA knowledge is (very important to me if she's planning to suggest revisions), I'm moving on. She sounds like a great agent. But I don't think she's the right one for me. I've had too many friends who have left an agent who weren't right for them. I don't want to be part of that statistic. ;)

Tuuli, it takes a lot of guts to do that, but if it doesn't feel right, it doesn't feel right. Kudos to you for waiting for the Right Agent and not simply an agent.

Tuuli

Research Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I did finally get to talk to Claire. Basically, to make a long story short, she was only interested in repping my one book and is sitting on the fence as to whether she is going to continue repping fiction. She is really nice and will be a great agent for the right client (i.e. the non-fiction one).

Also, Lora is no longer an agent (with this agency or any others).

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Damn, that was fast. Earlier this year, Lora rejected a fiction mms (with a very strange email that made me wonder if she read the query at all).

Note to self: Self, stay away from new agents for a while. A lot of them seem to crashing and burning, or running off to other industries.

Elizabeth George's book Write Away