Chickens and Chooks

Brigid Barry

Horse Nut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Barry, who pays the electric bill for tax reasons (or something, I don't ask) has this far been very patient and understanding about heated water buckets and tank heaters, and didn't get too excited about the radiant heater. He might take issue with me providing a heater space for the rooster.

All I can think of is to build him a mini coop about the size of the dog crate I had him in last winter and heat that. 😞

He's such a nice bird that I'd hate to lose him but he is really, really not doing well over the winters here. 😭

Brigid Barry

Horse Nut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...I thought it was a joke but hats for chickens is actually a thing...

Reactions: SWest

mccardey

Back soon.
Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
there are some nice ones out there...

Brigid Barry

Horse Nut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just make him a little snow suit. The crocheted hats I saw on Etsy look like they'd be too small (and I know one stitched to make rectangles and that's it) but maybe I could sew him something out of polar fleece...

Naturally, they aren't as interested in being alive as I am in trying to keep

It annoys me when people are like "your coop is clearly not ventilated or they won't get frostbite". Um...when you're naked and it's 10F/-12C you're going to get frostbite. Or am I missing something?

I've heard to put vaseline or bag balm but I don't understand why that would work. He was hen raised and he's pretty wild. I don't think smearing stuff on him would help our relationship.

• Hug
Reactions: frimble3

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Just make him a little snow suit. The crocheted hats I saw on Etsy look like they'd be too small (and I know one stitched to make rectangles and that's it) but maybe I could sew him something out of polar fleece...

Naturally, they aren't as interested in being alive as I am in trying to keep

It annoys me when people are like "your coop is clearly not ventilated or they won't get frostbite". Um...when you're naked and it's 10F/-12C you're going to get frostbite. Or am I missing something?

I've heard to put vaseline or bag balm but I don't understand why that would work. He was hen raised and he's pretty wild. I don't think smearing stuff on him would help our relationship.
He probably won't be keen on your putting little hats on him, either.
Perhaps something like a small crocheted bag, in a rich red or blue, and a rich yellow crown-style edging around the edge, would look good on him?

Brigid Barry

Horse Nut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't crocheta pattern, I would need someone to show me and because I'm left handed it adds a layer of difficulty. I tried youtube videos, but they all assume that I know basics and I unfortunately do not.

But I do know my way around a sewing machine and I've had to design things for my horse (who is allergic to being a horse) so I might go that route instead. I don't care if he doesn't look cute, I just want him to be warm but not in my house!

SWest

That's interesting...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
There may have been permanent damage to the blood vessels from last time (so his remaining circulation can't manage even a little bit of chill)...or this might be Something Completely Different, of course.

Is menthol safe for chickens?

Brigid Barry

Horse Nut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Worst predator issues I've ever had have been dogs. My husband's dog (who I am irrationally angry at right now) got out yesterday and killed two of my geese, injured a third. She's not so badly hurt that she can't walk and she was drinking this morning, but she's hurt enough that she's listless and was shivering this morning. I brought her into the house. The gander, being a worthless asshole, is fine.

SWest

That's interesting...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Unlike wild canids, domesticated dogs kill for the lulz. That's hard when they've "enjoyed" other pets or livestock we depend on.

My first dog on my own was a Lhasa Apso.
He liked to kill baby wildlife.
I would bring him indoors and show him the AKC poster.

"See, Poopsie? Non-Sporting Breed."

:Hug2: :Hug2: :Hug2:

ElaineB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
elaineburnes.com
Often dogs love the chase but are not skilled in the kill so they just maim. It's a problem for deer out here if a pack of dogs get together. Coyotes know whom to go after (aka fawns) but dogs, not so much.

• Hug

Brigid Barry

Horse Nut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Relieved there were no photos in your post, Brigid! I think your anger is pretty rational, actually.
Yeah, I don't take photos. We have security cameras up and I asked the Mr. to wipe the footage. The mental images are enough.

Dogs don't think like we do and she's probably forgotten all about it. She doesn't know that I've spent the last three years advocating for her and so far have been repaid by her biting me, and biting my kids but I kept trying to help her. When I went outside she put her tail between her legs to slink into the house, but that could have been as much because she's an anxious dog imposter, not because she knew that she'd done something bad.

Even knowing it's irrational, I'm still furious at her and this was the last straw.

The chickens are all fine. The hid together in the husband's garden.

Unlike wild canids, domesticated dogs kill for the lulz. That's hard when they've enjoyed other pets or livestock we depend on.
Yup. The absolute carnage that wiped out half my chickens and had me chasing three geese and a duck along the highway was most likely someone's dog. I was in the woods half a mile from my house for an hour and a half chasing a goose (and stupidly ran into the road to keep her from getting hit). Parked on a neighbor's yard and his father was screaming at me until I walked out of the woods with a bird. Derailing, but some helpful fuckwit decided to "help" me, didn't listen to a word I said, chased her farther into the woods, and then said 🤷‍♂️ maybe she'll find her way home.

I am so done with dogs. So. so. so. done.

ETA: after the carnage the chickens got a run and everyone is penned 90% of the time. They were out yesterday because I was home doing chores.

• Hug
Reactions: SWest and ElaineB

SWest

That's interesting...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Reactions: Brigid Barry

Brigid Barry

Horse Nut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are livestock breeds that don't see other on-property critters as squeaky toys...but they are quite large in size (cost to feed + usually live outdoors). They also can be ruthless about "stranger-danger". They need to be carefully raised and on-property trained.

I toyed around with this a few years ago. I decided against it although I can't recall why.

My last two dogs (Cujo here was supposed to be my dog but has decided she's Mr. Barry's dog and I can die in a fire) have been absolute nightmares. I tried to get help via trainers and it got me nowhere. It has me convinced that I have bad judgement and should stick with cats.

• Hug

SWest

That's interesting...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com

Brigid Barry

Horse Nut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It is hard-to-impossible to find a proper dog trainer anymore in the U.S. (or the EU). Some training does require "negative" reinforcement. But a certain faction that does not understand what that is has taken over the culture and industry.

Tom Davis is a great troubleshooter and trainer:
The woman we used to go to is no longer available and she was wonderful. We went to training at the shelter where she used to work and she's all fluff and rainbows. She's a person who does very well at training good dogs. When we started having problems, I reached out to her and the response was, "well, I wouldn't have a dog like that."

I'll let everyone imagine how helpful that was.

• Angry

Unimportant

Takes a firm stance on crit pro quo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I toyed around with this a few years ago. I decided against it although I can't recall why.

My last two dogs (Cujo here was supposed to be my dog but has decided she's Mr. Barry's dog and I can die in a fire) have been absolute nightmares. I tried to get help via trainers and it got me nowhere. It has me convinced that I have bad judgement and should stick with cats.
If a dog is a bird dog, no amount of training will change their mind. I found this out the hard way with a Gordon Setter. An expert trainer finally told me that there is only one way to keep him from chasing and grabbing and holding (and drooling-to-death) my chickens: build a fence.

So I did.

SWest

That's interesting...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
My twin brother was a Weimaraner (he died when we were thirteen).

He could catch any kind of bird in mid-air (pheasant, cardinal, you name it). He had a very soft (hunting) mouth, and never killed any.

Now the catfish he caught in the river and ran back two miles home were another story, and he could not abide a cat.

Brigid Barry

Horse Nut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My kids insist that the survivor is Delilah, my first goose that I've had since 2015. I can't tell without seeing her walk. She was shivering this morning in the cold so I did what I thought was best and brought her into the house. I tried to do it as quietly as possible, but the instinct to escape is strong and she was more active than she should have been. Aside from a few sips of water that she took this morning, she hasn't had any water. I offered her some leafy greens and some food that she didn't touch. She stood up once or twice, never turned around. She honked a few times and has been quiet. I stuck her bill into some water and she's completely zoned out. She tried to tuck her bill into her feathers (how they sleep) so I'm going to leave her be. It won't ever make up for anything but at least she died warm and without being harassed by anyone or anything.

I am a terrible farmer. This is why I can't have "livestock".

Brigid Barry

Horse Nut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She has a sense of dramatic timing, apparently. I took the top off the dog crate to try to make her drink. Then I'm sitting here, bawling my eyes out and she "sat up" so I stuck her bill in the bowl and this time she drank. Twice. Then decided to get up and go take a few laps around the room. Mr. Barry got her a head of lettuce at the grocery store that she nibbled at.

Waiting and seeing.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Unlike wild canids, domesticated dogs kill for the lulz. That's hard when they've "enjoyed" other pets or livestock we depend on.

My first dog on my own was a Lhasa Apso.
He liked to kill baby wildlife.
I would bring him indoors and show him the AKC poster.

"See, Poopsie? Non-Sporting Breed."

:Hug2: :Hug2: :Hug2:
Well, this is why he
killed baby wildlife
. A 'Sporting' breed would have
looked for a somewhat tougher target