• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Chevalier Editions

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
In doing some research on an author, I stumbled across this publisher. http://press.chevaliereditions.com/

A number of things jumped out at me that were quite unnerving.

Taken from their Submissions page:
Although Chevalier Editions is a Canadian imprint, we have no interest in funding from standard sources, and so, are willing to consider works (in English or French) from authors worldwide, rather than just Canada.
Okay, it's possible that I don't have enough blood in my coffee system, but what does this mean that they're not interested in funding from standard sources? Do they mean bookstore sales? The reason I ask is because I have no clue what they mean and because of this:
As a small, independent press, with printing and fulfillment executed via POD, we are more concerned with reader enlightenment than huge sales. Please keep this in mind when querying.
WTF? I'm curious as to how "reader enlightenment" can be accomplished without sales.

A click on a title for purchase takes you to Lulu.com. There are no ISBN numbers, so that prevents any of their authors from bookstore signings. And forget about being warehoused by Ingram, Baker & Taylor, etc.

The reason this burns my britches so much is that the author querying me was under the notion that Book 1 of his series would launch a thousand ships, and that I should leap on the bandwagon now for his Book 2. Telling this person the realities about his possibilities hurt like hell. I'm not saying that Chevalier Editions doesn't have their heart in the right place, but they show no viable method of how they make any money. Without a discernable income, they're doomed, and they'll end up taking their authors with them. This just pisses me off. I guess I need more coffee.

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
In Canada there is a lot of governmental arts funding. Some small presses get the majority of their operating budget in that manner. Those funds are often restricted to Canadian authors or books about Canada.

Regards,
Scott

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Domain is gone. Their Lulu storefront is still up, but the last book they published (in 2007) isn't on it. (Cache from Author's Den. Author removed profile after note in 12/07 that book was going out of print...)