Charlie and the Nature Factory [Warning: Stunningly Beautiful Large Photo Images]

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Just checking in to see the pretties. Love the buttercup field shots! So lovely. Also enjoyed the desert blooms and the bird shots.

Here's one I took this summer at Eagle Creek Park.

And here's my favorite bridge at a local park. It's an old one that got saved a re purposed as a bridge on a walking trail. I love that it was saved instead of destroyed.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
Sunrise at the Imperial Sand Dunes (Glamis) in California.

CyIsnecUkAAv4Ep.jpg:large

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
The Mogollon rim in northern Arizona (in summer):

CyZ7zgeUkAAmVLt.jpg

This one is taken about ten miles from the rim in Happy Jack, Arizona (in summer):

CyZ8EsaVIAA3DW4.jpg

Last edited:

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I love sunset pics - very nice! Reminded me actually of a moon rise I took a few years ago here in Denver:

30955215690_7c13c9c097.jpg

Then, that took me down the rabbit hole of reviewing my folders of pics, and remembered this seasonally appropriate one:

30501609694_9fbf4f97d7.jpg

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice that this thread is active again. I love seeing glimpses of the world via others' adventures!

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Behold the incredible kea:

Seen on the Milford Road, South Island, NZ, where these magnificent birds strut around like they own the place, sometimes stealing wiper blades and lens caps from hapless tourists.

This one was tagged, but not all of his confederates were. They're extremely vulnerable birds (though not as endangered as their cousins the kakapo), and I assume the Dept of Conservation keeps track of individuals. Unfortunately their charisma is a mixed blessing: they're overfed by tourists, becoming habituated to people and traffic in the national park here, where many die on the roads. They're also vulnerable to nest predation by introduced mammalian pests, like a lot of NZ birds.

They're incredibly intelligent (like, great ape or raven smarts) and curious. This one watched me a while, but when he figured out I was just going to take photos and not feed him, he quickly lost interest in me and went to investigate someone else's car. At least until I got back into mine and was fiddling with my camera: I heard a thump, footsteps, and a twanging noise. I got out of my car, and he was sitting on my roof, looking innocent as the aerial snapped back. Attempted vandalism?

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
What do they do with the stuff they steal?

(They look crabby enough to just be doing it as punishment! "Get out of my park, you interlopers!")

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
What do they do with the stuff they steal?

(They look crabby enough to just be doing it as punishment! "Get out of my park, you interlopers!")
One can only assume they are building a civilisation, somewhere in the high alps.

Or maybe they're just jerks!

Lucid

'ello beastie
Registered
Reaction score
I went to Seattle over Thanksgiving, which is where I grew up. I really, more than anything, want to move back there - every time I return I miss it SO much. But it's hard when you're an adult to drop everything and start new :( Stuck in the flatlands of Illinois now, but here are a couple pictures I took. And mind you, these were driving in the car - we did not actually pull over anywhere or venture out of our way to take photos. It's amazing that these views are right from the highway.

20161121_152125_zpsljcnpvz1.jpg

20161122_084001_zpsx76gaujp.jpg

20161125_084446_zpsxztqxqmk.jpg

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Beautiful photos, lucid. Illinois is quite a departure from the PNW.

aac91

Registered
Reaction score
The Mogollon rim in northern Arizona (in summer):

CyZ7zgeUkAAmVLt.jpg

This one is taken about ten miles from the rim in Happy Jack, Arizona (in summer):

CyZ8EsaVIAA3DW4.jpg

I've never been to Arizona but this isn't what I expected to be there at all. I may have to take a hiking trip out there!

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Nice to see more photos on these pages. Thanks everyone.

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't shared in a long time. Went to the Shenandoah Mountains yesterday and snapped some moody shots in the fog.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Those are so atmospheric - they look like paintings, almost! Just gorgous, Swachski!

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all!

The last one was actually taken by my 21 year old son. I loved watching him pause continuously during the hike, squatting down to take close-ups. It warms my heart seeing his appreciation for the subtle beauty of nature.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Happy New Year to all the photographers who contribute to this thread. Keep up the great work! :)

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Finally, after what seems like ages, I have some pics to contribute. I put my new camera to work at the National Aviary.

DSC00107.jpg

DSC00118.jpg

DSC00121.jpg

DSC00123.jpg

DSC00124.jpg

DSC00131.jpg

DSC00134.jpg

DSC00146.jpg

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, what a relaxing way to spend a Monday. Great pix!