Chance of high schooler having their own car?

A.P.M.

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry if this belongs in a different section of the forum (research, maybe?) but I was wondering about the percentage of high school kids who have their own cars, or how realistic it would seem for a character to have one. My MC lives in a suburban, fairly affluent area, but having three cars in a family seems excessive? I'm having her borrow her parents' car, but would it make sense for her to have her own? She is supposed to be somewhat rich, but is a 16-year old getting their own car (or a hand-me-down when her parents get a new car) put her beyond rich into Rockefeller territory in reader's minds? I went to a suburban high school too, but the kids who had their own cars always seemed like the richest of the rich--most drove their parent's cars if they drove to school at all. Others took a bus or got dropped off.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about percentage but I did, my brothers did, lots of my friends did, some of my son's friends had cars when they were in high school.

My son opted to avoid owning a car until he was over 30 and finally bought one. He's married and has a one car family. It's an environmental choice.

CMBright

Cats are easy, Mice are tough
Registered
Reaction score
Enough that back when I was driving a school bus, the bus that was packed at the beginning of the high school year had visibly fewer and fewer students as the year went on and the "kids" got their full license.

Catriona Grace

Mind the thorns
Registered
Reaction score
Both my children had cars (or rather trucks) in high school in order to get back and forth to school and to their jobs.

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
It doesn't HAVE to be a rich person thing. Maybe grandma died and she had a perfectly usable car the family took in. Maybe mom is the fire chief so she gets to drive the "official" car around all the time. Maybe dad is really good at repairing cars so the old, paid-off car that's 30 years old is still perfectly drivable.

My town was not rich, at all, and tons of kids had their own cars...there were no sidewalks or any form of public transit so you HAD to have a car to get anywhere. The only rich kid had a summer AND a winter car...but when she crashed her car, her dad made her get a replacement door that's another color and she was super embarrassed about it (but we all found it pretty funny).

Reactions: MaryLennox

CMBright

Registered
Reaction score
I could have started driving as soon as I got my full license. Grandparents gave us one of their used cars a couple years before I hit that age. I didn't drive in high school because I lacked the confidence rather than because I lacked a car.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
My high school’s parking lot was packed every day. I had my grandpa’s old junky car at 17 (before my license, lol)

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
I grew up middle class - small military town in the middle of nowhere - and both my brother and I got cars when we got our license. They weren't expensive or fancy (actually, mine was quite pretty, just old with a half-working transmission), but they got us from point A to point B.

In fact, the badness of the vehicles was kind of what made them fun. My brother LOVED ugly cars. His first vehicle, a pickup truck, was so battered that when he got in a couple fender benders over the years, you couldn't tell where the new dents were, because they blended in with the old ones.

He eventually replaced it with a purchase that was my idea. There was this rusty brown station wagon I kept seeing around town with $300 soaped in the window. At that price, you'd think it wouldn't even run, but I kept seeing it in different places, so clearly it was mobile, and I convinced my folks to check it out.

The bottom half of the doors were rusting off and there were bullet holes in the windshield (the shots had been fired from inside the vehicle), but it did indeed run. We replaced the tires and got a new windshield, and that was the vehicle my brother took to college, where his classmates promptly dubbed it the "lepermobile." Got about two years of good use out of it before it finally died.

There weren't any real "rich kids" in my town (closest were the children of doctors/dentists, which is money, but not MONEY, as I came to learn when I was older), but lots of kids had cars. The student parking lot at the high school was well-populated.

In a small town with one public bus route and a total of two buses (one traveled clockwise, one widdershins, on the same big circuit that took about 3 1/2 hours to complete), a car was a necessity for anyone who had a job or needed to go anywhere beyond school and back (or to school, for the ranch kids who lived beyond the range of the school bus routes).

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
My high school’s parking lot was packed every day. I had my grandpa’s old junky car at 17 (before my license, lol)
This for me too. I had my own car my senior year (a hand-me-down from my mom that I drove until last year, almost 20 years later), and it was a struggle to find a spot in the student parking lot. If you were late, you'd be lucky to get one. I wasn't from a wealthy area, either. Everyone in our district knew our school as "The Ghetto" because it was in the middle of a horribly unsafe neighborhood and we often had fights breaking out on campus between various racial groups. My graduating class started at 900 as a freshman and dropped to under 500 by senior year for all the drop outs, arrests, and relocations. But we were still loaded with student cars.

Psychoclown

Registered
Reaction score
I grew up in a somewhat affluent middle class suburb and it was very common for teens to have their own cars. I did. Almost all of my friends did. Most of us drove beaters, but we all had cars by our senior year of high school.

I should say, my car wasn't mine legally. I didn't purchase it. It was my dad's old car and he let me drive it when he got a new Suburban. Now I did have some friends that worked, saved up, and they bought their own nice cars. And a few people I knew had parents who just ponied up and bought them a nice ride when they turned 16. But yes, having your own car as a teen was very common in my neck of the woods.

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is the US right? If so, then it's not unusual for a 16-yo to have her own car in the situation you describe; common even if not the majority. It does depend on the family, though. I got a job and bought the cheapest clunker I could find that wasn't about to fall apart (although it kind of did) while my brother never got a car of his own until after college. Some parents will sell their older car to their kids, give it to them outright, or buy a car for them. Also not odd if a teen has to borrow her parents' car.

CMBright

Registered
Reaction score
I keep forgetting I'm not alone. My experiences are in the US. In some places and in some countries, it might be rare for adults to have a car, in areas where there are high population densities and excellent mass transit.

TStarnes

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tstarnes.com
I think a lot of it depends on where you grow up, even if you are in the US. In Houston, for example, a high percentage with most kids whose families are in the middle class having them, because things are pretty spread out (often its old and inexpensive, but they have them). In cities with more public transportation, it might be less common though. New York City would have a low percentage, probably even among the upper middle class and even upper class would not, because it isn't practical.

Reactions: amo1143

J.A.Nielsen

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry if this belongs in a different section of the forum (research, maybe?) but I was wondering about the percentage of high school kids who have their own cars, or how realistic it would seem for a character to have one. My MC lives in a suburban, fairly affluent area, but having three cars in a family seems excessive? I'm having her borrow her parents' car, but would it make sense for her to have her own? She is supposed to be somewhat rich, but is a 16-year old getting their own car (or a hand-me-down when her parents get a new car) put her beyond rich into Rockefeller territory in reader's minds? I went to a suburban high school too, but the kids who had their own cars always seemed like the richest of the rich--most drove their parent's cars if they drove to school at all. Others took a bus or got dropped off.
It looks like your survey results are mostly in.
But I'll add my two cents.
I think it's normal for kids in the U.S to have cars. I've lived and worked in schools in at least six states. Our high school parking lots were full.

But location absolutely matters. Kids (and adults!) in more urban areas--NYC, Chicago, etc.--where there is really good public transportation and parking and owning a car is difficult and expensive just don't drive. It's a cultural thing.

Only you know your book and what makes sense in your world and community. If a kid driving their own car makes them rich, then explain that--it could be an excellent character point. If it makes them normal, then that is relevant information, too.

Happy writing.

DonVodka

Banned
Reaction score
Yes they have cars. And if the young reader doesn't have a car, then for sure he wants the kid in the story to have one.

Reactions: MaryLennox