Catch up: where are we all at in our non-fiction projects

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

bunny hugger

Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I have my latest proposal through peer-review and going to an editorial decision approximately now-ish (undergrad text/large academic press). But it looks like there will be no reply until after the long weekend... (aargh).

I also have a couple of partial manuscripts languishing.

Where is everyone else in the process?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
After some conversation with a potential publisher a few months ago, I came to a cross-roads on what would need to be done. To go with this publisher (who's completely reputable and well known--you have seen their books in stores) some of the criteria for going with them would cause a major re-working of the project.

In short, due to length requirements, the book would need to be broken up into several, and they don't really do these as series. The different volumes would then need to be thematic, which I'm not averse to, but would require me to find quite a bit more source material to meet the minimum length, which might not be possible for some of the topics. Also, they require the book to contain a certain number of images, and since the book is based on extended excerpts from source material, a lot of which did not include illustrations in the original versions.

So, I'm going forward with both options in mind, and see what I can come up with.

bunny hugger

Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that sounds like a difficult choice. Is it like those historical region books I see everywhere, each one is short and tends to have a lot of photos? I guess maybe the upside would be that you wouldn't need to deliver all of them at once but could start with the easiest section to adapt? But if the book has important overall themes, those would get lost : /

On my side I got the acceptance this morning, so my big life-invading textbook project is a go!

Reactions: Helix