• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Cat 5 Music Publishing

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

eraye

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody with experience in the music industry? Are these guys roughly the equivalent of a vanity publisher for writers? Are they legit? Anything you can tell me would be wonderful!

Thanks,

Eraye

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like it evolved from a university graduate program.

http://www.cat5music.com/profile.html

Like poetry, music is traditionally self-published. Also like poetry, the music industry is notoriously predatory on hopefuls lookin’ for fame. Make sure you get what you pay for.

eraye

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks.

I gave my friends a "be careful" speech and listed off the red flags. They decided to pass on whatever it is the company does. If/when they're discovered, it'll be by someone who wants to promote them and tells them how, not someone delivering vague ideas and an incomplete website.

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
Yog's Law does not apply the same way to the music industry as it does to book and magazine publishing. Many major labels, while they pay advances, then take so many fees out of the advances that they are essentially pay-to-publish contracts. In fact, seeing CD's from a label in music stores is no sign that they don't screw over their musicians with their contracts.

The music industry is very different from the book industry. A lot of musicians earn most of their money from live performances. This isn't just true for barroom bands, as many nationally known acts do this too. Not only that, but you can sell a lot more CD's at live performances than your average self-published author can sell from the trunk of his car. CD's can be as much a tool for exposure to promote your concerts as a way to make money.

Happy Thanksgiving

Autumn image for Thanksgiving