Cant-ina? Should be CAN-tina, Amirite?

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
ETA - Anyone in the US and Canada, Tor's current free ebook-of-the-month is Nghi Vo's Empress of Salt and Fortune, first in the Singing Hills cycle set in a fantastic Asian-inspired world of shapeshifting tigers and mammoth riders and a traveling monk recording histories and tales of the world with their hoopoe companion. Can strongly recommend.
Ooh, thanks for that! Sounds really cool. :)

In writing news, I haven't had a lot of time to write anything but Instagram captions while I'm doing all this scheduling, but am hopeful that the anthology I got accepted into will stay on schedule and be released this month as stated. Will update when it does. I do feel frustrated that I don't have a set date for the launch as I feel that I should be talking about this on my socials, but how can I hype this thing up if all I can say is, "It launches this month! Hopefully! Assuming lack of delays! I don't have a specific date yet!" I'm not worried that it won't happen at all since they got all 4 previous anthologies out and you can find them on Amazon, they have decent reviews, etc, etc. And yes, the contract covers that, if the anthology for some reason didn't release within x amount of time, all rights revert back to me, etc, etc. But I do feel that there could be more communication than there is, and I don't know whether to email and ask if there's a set date yet, or just be patient and wait for more news
Not having that exact date would bug me too! I hope they get one too you soon. I think it would be okay to email soonish and ask--seems like a reasonable question.

Reactions: E.F.B.

CMBright

Registered
Reaction score
I was quite surprised to find swimsuits in store yesterday. Not to mention shocked that my 11yo fit a woman's small.

And now, the kid is happily paddling around an indoor pool, as I stay close, watching.

Reactions: Brightdreamer

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Hooray for surprise swimsuits and indoor pool paddling!

And it's Wednesday, late afternoon, and foggy and smoky all day. I do not believe it was only "moderate" air pollution at work; it stank terribly up there all day.

Work was long and tiresome, followed by a Costco visit (because they have the best price on Mom's antacid, plus it's been about a month and I try to go about once a month). Mom got the roast started, so that got done before I made it home, though I did add vegetables.

Now I need to write up a book review (finished a Neil Gaiman anthology at works, titled Fragile Things, which is also one of the recurring theme songs in Centaurworld, so I had some very mixed up mental imagery goin' in all day...).

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
It's a perspective thing, I suppose. I could focus on having to set aside a completed novel that I love to my bones due to my agent saying it's not sellable right now, the gray from the past week of rain, etc. OR I can focus on the fact that I have some whiz-bang WIPs in the works, good health, and a kick-ass wife and daughter.

I choose the latter.

;)
Good for you. :)

I was quite surprised to find swimsuits in store yesterday. Not to mention shocked that my 11yo fit a woman's small.

And now, the kid is happily paddling around an indoor pool, as I stay close, watching.
The disparity between bathing suits and other clothes' sizes has driven me around the bend at times! I have bathing suits at three 'sizes' up from the rest of my clothes. You have to fit stuff constantly as you can't rely on the labels.

Happily paddling is good, though. Go kid.

Now I need to write up a book review (finished a Neil Gaiman anthology at works, titled Fragile Things, which is also one of the recurring theme songs in Centaurworld, so I had some very mixed up mental imagery goin' in all day...).
Fragile Things haunted me. It was good, but it bothered me profoundly making it sadly obvious Neil Gaiman wasn't the writer for me.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Gaiman is one of the modern masters, and I appreciate his work and what he has to say, but he's hit-and-miss for me on stories, too.

And it's Wednesday evening, winding down the day again. Finished off Centaurworld. Not a perfect show, and at times it felt a little stretched, but it stayed funny and had some genuine emotion (and a rather intense final battle) and wrapped just about everything up by the end, even incidentals - plus the danged songs can get stuck in your head...

Reactions: Friendly Frog

CWNitz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cnitzbooks.com
Gaiman is one of the modern masters, and I appreciate his work and what he has to say, but he's hit-and-miss for me on stories, too.

And it's Wednesday evening, winding down the day again. Finished off Centaurworld. Not a perfect show, and at times it felt a little stretched, but it stayed funny and had some genuine emotion (and a rather intense final battle) and wrapped just about everything up by the end, even incidentals - plus the danged songs can get stuck in your head...
I love that battle song. It's still on my playlist.

Reactions: Brightdreamer

Ashigara

Registered
Reaction score

I've only read American Gods, and it was made clear on AW forums (thanks to @RichardGarfinkle) that Gaiman's view of worship is Christian-centric; not all religions depend on personal faith i.e. Shintoism. There was also a dismissal of Native American religion and cultures.

Personally, I thought American Gods was fine, the live-action's advertisements having piqued my interest in the book. The town part was slow, Technical Boy's depiction as a fat nerd is hilariously outdated as a zoomer, but the book is Neil Gaiman, and fine as a story and brilliantly written.

Edit: And all this feedback will aid in my WIP on religions being real.

Last edited:

E.F.B.

The two trees
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Apparently, y'all talking about Neil Gaiman stuck in my subconscious because I had the absolute most random dream last night that he was coming to stay at my house for a while. His stories haven't seemed like my cup of tea, so I've never read anything by him and was really confused about why on earth he was at my house. :LOL:

Cobalt Jade

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes celebrities just turn up randomly. For example, the other night I had a dream I was having lunch with Paris Hilton.

• Wow
Reactions: MaeZe

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Apparently, y'all talking about Neil Gaiman stuck in my subconscious because I had the absolute most random dream last night that he was coming to stay at my house for a while. His stories haven't seemed like my cup of tea, so I've never read anything by him and was really confused about why on earth he was at my house. :LOL:
Neil Gaiman showing up at your house would be roughly equivalent to Stephen King showing up; best just to preemptively run away screaming...

• Haha
Reactions: MaeZe and E.F.B.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Someone made a fake The Expanse season 7 ad on FB and my disappointment is immeasurable.

Also, my professor just deviated from class discussion for a moment to talk about how hot she thinks Idris Elba is. :LOL:

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Boo for fake ads!

Hooray for discussion deviations! (Though is there ever a classroom where that's not a relevant topic of conversation?)

Thursday afternoon, and might be doing a nuke-your-own dinner thing because sibling and Mom ate a late lunch (and actually brought back a burger for me).

Work was a thing. They inexplicably wrapped up half an hour early, and I couldn't find the boss to ask about what else to do, so I just left. I'll take the hit if it was the wrong thing to do...

Plus the smoke boomeranged back on us hard; we're well into the red "Unhealthy" zone last I checked.

• Sad

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
If Neil Gaiman turns up in your dreams again, ask him about writing with Terry Pratchett! Either he will say something interesting, or stomp off in a huff at not being personally praised.

• Haha
Reactions: E.F.B.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, I suppose it's about time to turn in for the evening. May poke at some writing first.

And if anyone's interested, the YouTube channel Paleo Analysis did a seasonally relevant short video on the extinct(?) "Giant" Vampire Bat (real animal, not made-up, though date of actual extinction seems a little gray as he gets into at the end): YouTube link, SFW unless you don't like bats. (He's also doing a History of the Earth video series that I find interesting, from the formation/Hadean Eon on up; last entry got up to the Devonian.)

Last edited:

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
If Neil Gaiman turns up in your dreams again, ask him about writing with Terry Pratchett! Either he will say something interesting, or stomp off in a huff at not being personally praised.
I dunno, I'm pretty sure he'd jump at the chance to write with Terry again.

Now having them both pen the sequel to Good Omens would be a good dream indeed. :e2cloud9:

• Love
Reactions: frimble3

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
IIRC, they had discussed and possibly outlined a sequel, which is what Gaiman is basing the Amazon Prime sequel script off. So Terry is definitely there in spirit. (I personally don't think it needs a sequel, much as I enjoyed the adaptation... and the book, though TBH I liked the alterations made to the miniseries.)

Friday morning, and looks like things are still rather smoky out there (even though the sun's not up yet; checked the air quality site). Will have to hit a store again because I forgot grapes. (Also forgot waffles and/or French toast sticks. And I'm sure there's other stuff I forgot. Because there always is, even with a list.)

Really need to look into getting a flu shot and a COVID booster this month.

For now, though, it's getting close to shoes-on time for work departure.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I know, but having them both write it would be icing on the cake. I liked how in Good Omens you could sometimes sort of tell which bit was quintessentially Pratchett, and which was Gaiman's.

I miss having a new Pratchett book to look forward, I guess.

Got my COVID booster booked for next weekend! But I'll have to wait until then for the flu shot to even be available and probbly have to wait a little longer to see whether there is enough for people outside the risk categories.

It's sure going to make picking a good date for my fourth blood donation interesting this year.

Also, boo for bad air quality!

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Friday evening, and breakfast-for-dinner night wraps up the work week.

Still waiting for the replacement computer we ordered for Dad. It was supposed to be here Tuesday, and just shipped last night. I just checked, and it's supposed to be "one stop away", but will believe it when I see it. If it does get there, that's a big chunk of my weekend gone setting the thing up for him, but his old one's just getting harder and harder to use. Fingers crossed he can make the transition still; so much depends on whether he's gotten enough sleep, how much he can deal with...

Mergh.

Work existed. We're catching up, but there's another holiday just around the bend here to knock us back, so we're doing extended hours next week as well.

I suppose I should come up with something to watch for the evening. Sort of between series still... might see if there's a movie somewhere that appeals...

E.F.B.

The two trees
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
The past several days my throat has been itchy to the point of annoyance. Absolutely no other issues, no temperature, no body aches, no tiredness, nothing to indicate illness. Just an annoying itchy/scratchy feeling, and some soreness first thing in the morning until I rehydrate from overnight dryness. I figured it was allergy related, but the annoyingness made me decide that, since we were going out today anyway might as well drop by the doctor just to make sure there's no infection going on, or anything else. Of course, they decided to test me for Covid. I went along with it despite being sure that I'm not sick because better safe than sorry. Sat there waiting for WAY longer than the 15 minutes they said it would take, but finally got told I was negative for Covid and the doctor agreed that what I'm describing sounds like an allergy flare up. Apparently a lot of people in the area are having allergy issues right now with all the ragweed and mold counts being up. I'm already taking an oral antihistamine, so he prescribed me a nasal spray to use on top of that, pretty much until the dead of winter when all the stupid allergens are lessened.

tl;dr: I love fall. I don't love ragweed and mold and neither does my throat.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Boo for allergies!

Friday night, and finally got around to watching the classic horror film Halloween. Slasher has never been my preferred genre, and this one really didn't have much of a plot or a ton of character development (plus it seemed like the killer existed to punish teens for immorality, while the teens mostly existed to be brainless and immoral; even the straight-laced "final girl", who didn't ask boys to prom and didn't get drunk and responsibly stayed and took care of kids like a proper woman should, had to be punished for having immoral thoughts, and ultimately was rescued by a man). I can appreciate that Carpenter did a lot on a very lean budget and established tropes that linger to this day, but it felt like a lot of waiting around for not a lot of payoff - again, probably because I'm not generally a slasher movie fan so the appeal was largely lost on me. (I admit I watched it mostly because it's going to be discussed on an upcoming Ty & That Guy podcast, in a double-feature "deep dive" with The Fog. Am still deciding if I'm going to watch The Fog - which might interest me more, actually, because not slasher so far as I know - or just do like I did with their deep dive on Nope and watch the podcast without seeing the movie.)

And, for the record, that new computer for Dad did indeed arrive. The driver left it on our trash bin. I hope that's not foreshadowing...

--

Saturday, late morning and edging up to noon, and I delayed the day starting with a self-indulgent snooze-in. Got the room tidying(ish) dealt with, at least. After lunch I need to crack open the new computer and see what I can do about making it Dad-friendly. Need to acquire his login info and stuff, then go in and knock out as many barriers and log-ins as I can, and get his minimal stuff up and running on the thing - he mostly uses it to go online, and even then he only seems to go to a handful of places he can get to very, very easily... Needs some sort of easy Sudoku, and I'd like to get a Solitaire or card game on there that's not cluttered with distracting crud. (Will also have to see if I can draw "button" marks on the lower end of the trackpad/touchpad with a Sharpie or something, because I don't know if he can make the mental leap to just tapping on the pad.)

Last edited:

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
tl;dr: I love fall. I don't love ragweed and mold and neither does my throat.
I hope it clears up quickly for you. For me, fall is the first time of the year that allergies are finally waning but it seems allergies are lurking in every season!

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hooray for waning allergies!

Saturday evening, finishing off dinner, and today has been too smoky to do much; got a persistent throat tickle and lung scunge that better be smoke related and not something setting in, dang it.

I think I have Dad's new machine set up, but I want to boot it up one more time to be sure it's remembering its passwords. I streamlined the login and stripped what bloatware I could identify, and also neutered Edge and made Firefox default. For some reason I can't get any third party programs to access his e-mail even though all the info and the password and such are correct, but I can log in with Firefox (using the same info). I did download some free game apps that he might be able to do - a simple Sudoku, a couple Solitaires, and an easy looking word puzzle one, plus a weather app. And I got Malwarebytes installed on it, because that has saved our bacon more than once. For now I'm relying on Windows Defender for antivirus. It has Macaffee on it, but I'll probably nuke that. Kicked up the mouse pointer size one notch, and the default font size up one notch, and I think that's all that's worth my while to do to the thing. (And I used a metallic marker to make "button" boxes on the lower corners of the track pad; the one corner is where he wants to tap to "right click", and I just drew a box on the lower left corner if he needs the visual reference for a "left click", though he could do that anywhere in theory. Also outlined the "On" button and put a little arrow where the power cord needs to plug in. And I labeled the power cord and the laptop to match so we know that they go together... not that we've done the "this thing looks like the right cord and plugs in but isn't working, why is that, what does it go to and where is the right adapter?" thing more than once...)

Oh, dang... might want to install a free office-type program while I'm at it in the off chance he wants to open documents (unlikely, but vaguely possible)... we aren't paying for 365 if we can at all help it.

--

I think I'm done playing with the machine. May have to reinstall an app I deleted if it's still being snarky about one thing, though. (Try as I might, I cannot get anything on Windows 11 to access the danged Hexfinity e-mail. Can do it fine through Firefox, but with the same info and all the IMAP/POP/whatever numbers correct it just will. not. log. the. frell. in.) Will just let the onboard Word handle any documents in the off chance he opens them, and we'll deal with other issues as they come up.

Can't get over how light the thing is; I swear my tablet's heavier.

We'll give it to him tomorrow, because he's been rather out of it today; I think the air's getting to him, too.

Now I need to get some bills paid. After that I might poke at writing. Later I might watch something.

--

Sunday, late morning, and finally handed over the new computer to Dad after getting a free antivirus on that specifically dealt with phishing (he doesn't do email much anymore, but his failing mental filter isn't exactly calibrated to catch that sort of thing). Hopefully he can figure it out. Will have to show him the game apps, too.

Anyway, today's plan is to catch up on some site stuff and manage some sort of exercise, then poke those contest prompts to see if I can get something storylike out of them to submit (deadline is the 13th); my overall goal for the year was to sub three stories, so if I can manage something for that it'll bring me up to two out of three. We shall see if relatives interfere with any and/or all of that...

--

And Sunday afternoon. Managed some site work, a little lunch, then some exercise, then some unnecessarily complicated hoop jumping to schedule vaccine boosting. Many of the places I tried still have the outdated guidelines and won't boost anyone who isn't older or immunocompromised. And then they wonder why nobody's getting the new COVID booster. Mixed messaging much? It may have started with the previous administration but it sure hasn't gotten much better under the new "pandemic's over back to normal/why is nobody taking it seriously and getting boosted" people... Anyway, finally found a place to get the booster and a flu shot before next month.

I think I'll get more site stuff done, then see about starting dinner. (Costco chicken alfredo night with extra chicken.)

--

Sunday night, and got dinner dealt with. Dad seems to be enjoying the new computer, but isn't quite sure how to turn it off (because of course they have to change things just enough in Windows 11 to confuse him), but he can turn it on fine and is enjoying looking at the handful of links I left him in Firefox. Not sure if he's playing the games - just gave him a simple Sudoko, a simple Solitaire, and a simple word game - but so far he seems happy, and can see things easier on a larger screen.

Dinner existed. Sibling barely came upstairs long enough to grab food and then melted back downstairs. She's perpetually exhausted from graveyard, and now the other graveyard person quit so they're going to try foisting more of those shifts on her. How many ways can she say "I cannot do this shift" before it becomes "I cannot do this shift so I have to quit"?

Mergh...

And I watched the 1980 The Fog. Enjoyed it more than Halloween, and now I'm prepped for that podcast double feature this week.

Well, I got Dad's phone plugged in if his friend calls tonight (the guy didn't call last night; we hope he just fell asleep and forgot), and got his after-phone-call food ready, so I got about an hourish to kill. Going to try poking at story prompts.

--

Monday, just about noon, and still smoky (in the red-orange range on the map, Unhealthy to Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups). Got the shopping out of the way, so that's done for a little while.

Now I need to check online about property taxes (we have two parcels technically, and they sent us a thing for one but not the other - they did this last time, too, IIRC). Also need to get the protection plan for Dad's new machine dealt with. And then I want to get story prompts poked, though somewhere in there I need to exercise. I so wish I could do that while typing... stupid, lousy desk that doesn't have a leg void for a foot pedal thingy...

Last edited:

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
*sigh* My life feels lately like that WIP you just want to ditch and start over, because so much of the convoluted lore is such a drag but there's too much of it to simply edit it out. I just can't get myself motivated to do anything about it. And then I get to feel bad about not doing something to get motivated. Worst enemy, yeah, I got that.

Ah well, at least I got caught up on my inbox and finally sorted three months of paperwork.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Boo for cruddy WIP lives! (Been there, living that...)

Hooray for catching up on stuff!

Monday afternoon. Managed exercise, and started a rewatch of Over the Garden Wall on Hulu because October (and because I needed something to watch while foot pedaling). Got a couple hours before I need to deal with dinner, so I'm going to attempt to worditate some words, though there's a chance I'll be interrupted by family.

--

Mergh... trying to expand a spitball/flashish thing for that contest into something more like a short story, and am not at all sure it's working. Part of me's tempted just to polish the flash version and send that; it's not so much about the odds of winning for me as it is about having the frellin' guts to just submit something...

And closing in on dinner starting time, so maybe I'll find something else to do until after cooking and food.

--

After Monday dinner and dishes (save the usual stragglers), and trying to pick something useful to do. Nothing seems to be taking. And I'm still hitting a wall on that contest thing. Might go pop some microwave popcorn or something...

(And one of my stories got guessinated in the Sequel Sisyphus guessing thread... but one still roams wild and free!)

--

Later, and am stalking an elusive Idea for a contest story... we'll see if I can pull it off, and keep it under 2K (the limit)...

--

Tuesday morning, and already endured a sibling meltdown (finally resolved, thankfully). Now Mom wants to go to yet another store for roof sealing stuff; turns out FlexSeal isn't a reliable long term solution to a roofing issue on her shed... Here's hoping I at least get some writing time in today, as it's my last day off before the 13th deadline. (Yes, Mom knows this. Doesn't seem to matter...)

--

Tuesday evening. Shopping existed (again). By sacrificing exercise, I think I have a halfway decent entry for that contest; will give it one more pass before pushing the button on that. Juuuust under the 2k word limit, too...

I see the Sequel Sisyphus guessination is over, so both of my entries have officially been outed.

Okay, got everything loaded up and ready for early start at work tomorrow, save maybe adding another option or two to the Libby audiobook shelf in case of DNF. Even have my "lunch" in my coat pocket. (It's just a snack container of trail mix, my usual workday "lunch".)

All right, back to the contest entry... (And entry is officially on its way!)

--

Wednesday afternoon, and it's back to smoky days again...

Work existed. We might be catching up, so I expect someone to leave or for something to break down to knock us back.

Got a couple reviews to write up and dinner to start soonish, one taking priority (because fewer people yell at me if I don't get book reviews posted on time).

Last edited: