Canajan, eh?

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

hspotorno

Registered
Reaction score
Lived in Toronto for five years, living in Europe now! No Canadian citizenship, fond memories of Canada, not so fond memories of Canadian winters.

UrbanAmazon

It must be Thursday.
Registered
Reaction score
Heyo from south Alberta!

... where we're expecting a foot of snow in the next 48 hours, but it'll be gone by the first day of October, most like. Ahwell.

druid12000

You're out of your tree...
Registered
Reaction score
The dark side of the moon, making sinister plans..
Hi! Grew up in Nova Scotia, a tiny town called Northport. On a clear day I could look across the Northumberland Strait and see PEI. *sigh* I miss living there, even thirty-something years later.

We moved to the States when I was thirteen and I've lived here since. I took a trip to Australia in my early twenties and got chatting with a gentleman in the Aussie Navy. At one point he asked me what part of Canada I was from. When I told him I was from the States he made me show my ID because he didn't believe me. When I asked why he was so insistent that I wasn't American, his reply was brilliant: 'Because you're not an asshole!' :roll:

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The weather office is predicting a couple of inches of snow in the Lower Mainland (SW BC) over the next few days. In reaction, people are rushing to buy snow tires and get them installed, travel plans are being scrapped (such as they were, with COVID), and it's generally looking like the panic scene in Airplane. Honest to God, I'm embarrassed to be a Vancouverite.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
It's a good thing that COVID has stopped a lot of people from going in to work. Fewer panicked screams, sounds of cars sliding down hills, etc. (I live in Burnaby - same problems, more hills. We just cower in our dwellings.)
'Cause special snowflakes hate actual snowflakes.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
So far, so good: no snow as of 5 p.m.
Of course, night is falling and it's getting colder.
Sorry if this seems mocking to those living in places that are trapped under vast quantities of snow, but in Vancouver, talking about the weather generally consists of "Going to rain, eh?" "Raining" and "Finally stopped raining, eh?"
We crave excitement, even though we scream when it happens. Like a kid on a rollercoaster.

Last edited:

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also we are freaked out by even a picture of snow. The only thing funnier than Vancouver drivers trying to navigate fresh snow are the Alberta people on the side of the road, unable to stand because they're laughing so hard.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And so that they're safely out of range of skidding cars. Because it doesn't matter how experienced in snow you are if you're trapped behind a panicky Vancouverite.

It does make Vancouver drivers incredibly polite, though -
I used to work on the side of a fairly steep hill - in the snow, I'd be standing at the bus-stop, well away form the street, as the cars slowly and carefully inched past or (astonishing sight!) giving way to one another.
"Oh, no, after you!"
"Please, don't rush on my account!"
"Ah, those pedestrians wish to use the crosswalk, I shall keep well back!"

If it weren't for happening in January, it'd be a Christmas miracle.

Happy Thanksgiving

Autumn image for Thanksgiving