Can this word be used in YA?

Pacific

Registered
Reaction score
Actually a phrase:
Knock
up.
I'm talking about American readers age 14-18, is it OK?

Nether

is walking the plank at a pirate-themed water park
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see an issue? It's a benign euphemism. The only maybe-question would be if teens still use the term, but I assume they would.

Pyrephox

Registered
Reaction score
I think it would feel a little dated. I don't think I've heard any teen use that phrase in a long time; at least anecdotally, the teens I've encountered are far more likely to just say "got her pregnant" or "I got pregnant".

Reactions: Pacific

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
I don't see an issue? It's a benign euphemism. The only maybe-question would be if teens still use the term, but I assume they would.
I'm only 22, but I don't really remember that word being used. Of course I came from a very Christian country school where that rarely rarely happened.

Reactions: Pacific

writer316

hitchhiking across the novel-craft galaxy
Registered
Reaction score
U.S.; early 20s here.

@Pacific

Knock up -- perfectly fine to use; as far as I can remember, never used among peers when I was YA-aged.

Screwed -- used pretty often during my middle/high school years. Especially the variants, "Screw you/this/that/him/her/them/etc." and "so they don't screw with you."

ambianc

Registered
Reaction score
That phrase is totally fine for American teens! I think the only way you can go wrong in the YA territory is if you start graphically describing things. But I'm from a small town in America and we definitely used the phrase "knocked - up" in high school