• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Callio Press (formerly Discovered Authors, Ltd. / Undiscovered Authors / BookForce)

soloset

'bye
Registered
Reaction score
You mean besides the fact that their website apparently tries something fishy when you visit it? My Spysweeper suggested it had to block something called "EO.EXTREME-DM.COM" from the site, anyway.

I've looked over the site, and I can't figure out what they're supposed to be actually offering. The gist seems to be that you self-pub through their self-pub company, then they review your now self-pubbed book, and if it they think it's worth it, they "publish it" for you.

Generally though, marketing of Discovered Authors undergoes the following pattern:

* Press releases through appropriate media
* Selective advertising through the UK book wholesalers to independent bookstores
* Availability on both US and UK Amazon sites
* Mailshots – BookForce UK have an expansive list of in-house data bases covering a wide range of interest groups which are used for individual book promotion
* Email or google advertising campaigns promoting selected titles

How bizarre. And I didn't see anything indicating they could actually get your book on bookstore shelves.

jchines

Got the hang of it, here
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimchines.com
I didn't get any software warnings on my machine.

The site itself is certainly odd, though. If I wanted to self-publish, I'd go elsewhere. Particularly given this bit:

"What happens if I get offered a publishing contract by a major publisher?

This may happen as a result of the marketing work undertaken by BookForce UK who would sell the publishing rights onto a suitable publisher. Your royalty earnings and advances will be the result of the negotiations between BookForce UK and the new publisher, however BookForce will not sell the rights unless we are convinced the new contract represented a better opportunity for the author."

So let me see if I understand this. Not only do I pay you a minimum of £99 to publish my book, but I don't even retain control of it?

Run away.

wez

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevewestcott.com
Thanks for your thoughts guys. I must admit, I felt warning goosebumps when I read their stuff. The reason I asked is an aqcaintance went with them and suggested I give them a try, but something did not sit right, so thought I would pose the question. My ms's are still with a 'reputable' publishing house awaiting their response. So I am going to sit tight.

Steve

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Ugh, they're recycling those myths about famous people who supposedly self-published.

And they use the old "we're different from other vanity publishers" ploy of multiple imprints.

And they offer the usual overpriced and worthless "marketing" services.

Note also that the publishing packages on their Publishing Deals page do not include the actual printing of the book--that costs extra, per the Retail and Print page. Depending on page count, that could make them one of the more expensive services out there. Also, their royalties (10-15% of net) are lower than average.

Definitely at the slimy end of the POD self/vanity-pub spectrum.

- Victoria

wez

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevewestcott.com
Slimy end sounds about right. That is one reccommendation I shall be giving a miss. Funily enough, the only previous reccommendation I got from an 'aqcauintance' was for an agent, Robin Price, and after I checked him out he turned out to be a rogue too. Went under a number of names, Avalon, Media Arts International, and now has the police after him for fraud, or so I believe. This business certainly seems to attract the con-people. Just as well we have sites like this to check things out. Thanks loads for the reply.

Steve

UrsusMinor

Registered
Reaction score
victoriastrauss said:
Ugh, they're recycling those myths about famous people who supposedly self-published.
- Victoria

Yeah, what is up with that, anyway? Can we get a list going dismissing this stuff?

One of the nice things about this annoying list is the way it ties the author's name to one of thier famous books, thereby hinting that the book listed was self-pubbed.

I see where Grisham got on the list. People are confused by the fact that he bought up copies of his first book "A Time to Kill" and sold them himself rather than see them remaindered. But that's not self-publication, no matter how many times the garbled version of the story is repeated on the internet.

Waller pubbed with some tiny press, but "Bridges" wasn't self-pubbed, and it was his first book.

In no way, shape, or form was Atwood's "Blind Assassin" self-pubbed. I believe she did self-pub some poetry once, but that has nothing to do with anything.

Beatrix Potter and DH Lawrence are from such a different period in publishing that they are irrelevant in any case.

The only element here that isn't misleading is that Roddy Doyle did indeed self-publish his first novel.

What's odd is that, with the exception of Doyle, the handful of legitimate self-publishing success stories aren't mentioned. I'm talking about Richard Paul "The Chritsmas Box" Evans, E. Lynn Harris, Christopher "Eragon" Paolini, Terry McMillan, and MJ Rose. Missing out on the real stuff makes me think the people at "discovered authors" aren't just sneaky and misleading, but are genuine idiots.

Last edited:

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
soloset said:
You mean besides the fact that their website apparently tries something fishy when you visit it? My Spysweeper suggested it had to block something called "EO.EXTREME-DM.COM" from the site, anyway.
That file is part of Alexa. It's a web-tracking software suite that collects data about visits to web sites. See Wikipedia for more info.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Let's see here...

Parent company: BookForce, Ltd. (vanity POD house).

"Marketing" site: Discovered Authors, Ltd.

This set-up just begs for...aha! The contest: Undiscovered Authors. Ltd. (£10 entry fee. All entrants get a £25 discount voucher for BF's services.)

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
UrsusMinor said:
Beatrix Potter and DH Lawrence are from such a different period in publishing that they are irrelevant in any case.

Beatrix Potter wasn't trying to publish, and D.H. Lawrence's self-published material was legally obscene (no publisher could touch it).

soloset

'bye
Registered
Reaction score
Duncan J Macdonald said:
That file is part of Alexa. It's a web-tracking software suite that collects data about visits to web sites. See Wikipedia for more info.

Yep, that's what I thought, too. Only I don't have Alexa installed on my computer? I swept throughly after getting the message but the only thing being flagged on my computer is my AW cookie. ;)

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
soloset said:
Yep, that's what I thought, too. Only I don't have Alexa installed on my computer? I swept throughly after getting the message but the only thing being flagged on my computer is my AW cookie. ;)
Alexa runs on the server, and deposits odd code on machines that hit the server. Keep sweeping, and keep your definitions current!

just_a_girl

Registered
Reaction score
I have a friend who had her book on discovered authors. It did absolutely nothing for her career. No big agent or publisher contacted her.

wez

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevewestcott.com
just_a_girl said:
I have a friend who had her book on discovered authors. It did absolutely nothing for her career. No big agent or publisher contacted her.

Sounds about par for the course, from what I have since heard. Strangely, and fopr interests sake, I emailed them to see what they could offer, and have not had a reply. Wonder if they read this message board? :ROFL:

Steve

just_a_girl

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if they are related to Flame Books, also based in the UK?

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
James D. Macdonald said:
Beatrix Potter wasn't trying to publish, and D.H. Lawrence's self-published material was legally obscene (no publisher could touch it).
I am now trying NOT to imagine shy, sheltered Beatrix Potter selling handpainted copies of Two Bad Mice door-to-door from a handcart, and D.H. Lawrence, pockets stuffed with octavos, sidling up to passersby outside Foyles, muttering 'psst, 300 pages of deep unspoken urges of the soil, guvnor?'
Not thinking of that at all. Not.
-Barbara

wez

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevewestcott.com
just_a_girl said:
Does anyone know if they are related to Flame Books, also based in the UK?

I have no idea Just-a-Girl. I've heard of flame books, or maybe I am getting confused with Black Flame, which are definitely a separate article and unrelated.

Steve

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
victoriastrauss said:
They are running a contest.

- Victoria
Huh! I was just looking at the Competition Rules and I don't understand number 6:

6. Entrants into the Previously Published category must enter a work that has not been previously published.

Anybody want to give that one a shot?

wez

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevewestcott.com
Roger J [B said:
6.[/B] Entrants into the Previously Published category must enter a work that has not been previously published.

Anybody want to give that one a shot?

I'm guessing that, even though the comp is for unpublished authors, if you have previously been published you must enter a different category with a story or novel that hasn't previously been published. Or something like that. Either way, the whole thing smells odd.

And I still have not had an answer to my querying email. :ROFL: Guess they must think I smell odd, too!

Steve

Raven Dane

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Discovered Authors are legit !

Can I be very bold as a total newbie to this forum and try to put everyone's mind at ease over Discovered Authors and their competition?
I have two books published with this company under their mainstream imprint, D A Diamonds. I was originally self- published with the company from the deepest pit of hell but was 'head-hunted ' by DA after getting excellent reviews and sales.
This is a totally legitimate and fast- growing new company which is run by a team of highly professional ex-Random House employees, that work their socks off to promote my books. I feel very well looked after indeed.
Sorry to sound like a pr plant for them. I am not , though I am one of their authors but this is a genuine company looking for a different way to publish books. Their competition is no different to a scout looking for new talented authors and is judged fairly. A well established and acclaimed author friend of mine was chosen this year as part of the judging panel and I know how seriously she took her task.
I left another writers forum , drowned by the sheer depressing weight of cynicism and negativity. I am hoping Absolute Writers is different! I am sure you are !

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Can I be very bold as a total newbie to this forum and try to put everyone's mind at ease over Discovered Authors and their competition?
I have two books published with this company under their mainstream imprint, D A Diamonds. I was originally self- published with the company from the deepest pit of hell but was 'head-hunted ' by DA after getting excellent reviews and sales.
This is a totally legitimate and fast- growing new company which is run by a team of highly professional ex-Random House employees, that work their socks off to promote my books. I feel very well looked after indeed.
Sorry to sound like a pr plant for them. I am not , though I am one of their authors but this is a genuine company looking for a different way to publish books. Their competition is no different to a scout looking for new talented authors and is judged fairly. A well established and acclaimed author friend of mine was chosen this year as part of the judging panel and I know how seriously she took her task.
I left another writers forum , drowned by the sheer depressing weight of cynicism and negativity. I am hoping Absolute Writers is different! I am sure you are !

Hmm.

Sometimes cynicism and fact go hand and hand. You might want to ask yourself why, in this case. No offense.