• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Callio Press (formerly Discovered Authors, Ltd. / Undiscovered Authors / BookForce)

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
This is a totally legitimate and fast- growing new company which is run by a team of highly professional ex-Random House employees, that work their socks off to promote my books. I feel very well looked after indeed.

Can you answer some questions for us?

- What sort of promotion have you received?

- Has your book been reviewed in any professional venues?

- Does your book have bookstore presence beyond that you've been able to accomplish yourself?

- What kind of editing did you receive?

Thanks so much.

- Victoria

HelenHollick

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I'm Helen Hollick, a UK author - I am now published by Discovered Authors. I am pleased to say you all have the wrong impression; they are a genuine, very good publishing company! I am delighted with them!

I have had five novels mainstream published by William Heineman, but Random House decided not to reprint a couple of books from my back list and so I opted to self publish instead. A friend suggested BookForce Uk ... I'll cut a long story short .. I went with them and they did a superb job with my books, so much so that I decided to bring my next new novel out with them - and I am now about to publish a second.

Their website has been a bit topsy-turvey these last few weeks as BookForce UK (which is the basic printing side of the company) has just expanded into a new Publishing House with various options (4 O'Clock press for basic self publish; Discovered Authors etc) There have been one or two glitches on the site, but I think these have now been put right. Some of the terms & conditions do sound a bit misleading, but again I assure you there is nothing fishy or dodgy! Their marketing and production is a high standard and frankly I have to say, much better than I received at Random House!

I firmly believe in the choice of self publish - too many good writers are being rejected by mainstream because these big companies are no longer prepared to take risks - or because they are not making enough money (as in my case - Ok so my novels were not selling by the thousand, but I am quite content with selling by the hundred!) There are too many cowboys and sharks who offer to publish books however - you MUST check a company out first, the best way is to contact the authors already published by them. Also, even self published must be edited and have marketing. Books do not sell themselves. Oh and yes, D.A. 4 O'Clock Press etc are accepted by bookshops (in the UK anyway) - just as with any mainstream novel.

I will try to answer some of the points made above:
* I have never had any problem with any spysweeper from their site at all - the problem was not via their site I can assure you.
* They have several publishing categories. basic self publish is just that, they'll print the book for you but everything else is up to you. If they think your book is good enough, however, they will offer to upgrade you, which means you will then qualify for their full marketing expertise (and yes, get your books into bookshops ... although as with mainstream this is up to the individual bookstore not the publisher! Stores only stock books that will sell - i.e. that are marketed and are of a high standard. Sadly most S.P. books are not.

* Quote: "What happens if I get offered a publishing contract by a major publisher?

This may happen as a result of the marketing work undertaken by BookForce UK who would sell the publishing rights onto a suitable publisher. Your royalty earnings and advances will be the result of the negotiations between BookForce UK and the new publisher, however BookForce will not sell the rights unless we are convinced the new contract represented a better opportunity for the author."

So let me see if I understand this. Not only do I pay you a minimum of £99 to publish my book, but I don't even retain control of it?
answer: No, you maintain control! All this basically means is that BookForce will ensure you are still getting a good deal regarding royalties etc. (And Mainstream can be just as much a shark as any dodgy s.p. company! Harper Collins sold the TV rights of my children's book without telling me or my agent, its only when I actually saw it being read on a children's programme that I found out!)
BookForce offers exactly the same royalty deal as most mainstream publishers, except they can not offer an advance. Being honest though, it is not likely that, given today's publishing climate, mainstream will pick up any self publishing book, unless it is selling really well (but if so why would you want to go mainstream anyway? I certainly won't go back to mainstream, I'd much rather be part of a small team of an enthusiastic company, not one in a huge publishing house were the staff turnover is by the bus load! I had five editors in four years at Random House ...

And they use the old "we're different from other vanity publishers" ploy - they are different!

And they offer the usual overpriced and worthless "marketing" services. - most definitely not! My marketing at Random House was useless, this company is superb - I get ongoing, quality, enthusiastic marketing. All the promotions for my novel Sea Witch have been top class - I'll be happy to forward details to anyone interested.

Note also that the publishing packages on their Publishing Deals page do not include the actual printing of the book--that costs extra, per the Retail and Print page. Depending on page count, that could make them one of the more expensive services out there. Also, their royalties (10-15% of net) are lower than average. I think you are a bit muddled here - they are one of the reasonable companies (Author House, for instance, costs far more & their books are not of the same quality - ditto marketing) 10 - 15% royalty is the same as mainstream.

Definitely at the slimy end of the POD self/vanity-pub spectrum. Definitely NOT at the slimy end!

* Entrants into the Previously Published category must enter a work that has not been previously published.
LOL - read it again ... Anyone who is already a published author can enter this section with a book that has not yet been published. i.e I am a previously published author of 5 novels & a children's book. If I wanted to submit by next (unpublished) novel into this category I am welcome to do so.

* Steve. Please re- e-mail Natalie direct on
[email protected]
and she will get straight back to you. They were having computer problems a while ago - someone had re-set the spam filter & everything was chucked out as spam! Maybe your mail was one of these? Several of mine went missing because of this.

~~~~

I hope that has answered a few questions and settled a few minds? Yes, there were a few hiccups with publishing my books - but then I had problems at Random House too (like the fact they sent the proof copy over to my USA publisher, which was then printed along with the 360 errors. And the awful cover they gave The Kingmaking - at last ! D.A. has given me covers to be proud of!

To re-iterate: there is nothing fishy or underhand about them; they offer a variety of contracts, their D.A. one being virtually the same as any mainstream publishing contract. I am more than happy with them and I would be delighted to answer anyone's questions etc ... please feel free to visit my website www.helenhollicknet or e-mail me on [email protected]

good luck with your writing - you all seem to be a very friendly bunch of enthusiasts.
Helen Hollick

HelenHollick

Registered
Reaction score
LOl somehow I managed to post twice - oops!

Last edited:

HelenHollick

Registered
Reaction score
Answering Victoriastrauss

( Raven alerted me to this site by the way - hence my reply)

- What sort of promotion have you received? Very very good.

- Has your book been reviewed in any professional venues? Yes. I was "launched" on the official Disney Pirate site "Keep to the Code" among other places (my latest novel is about pirates) I had an interview on LBC radio, various newspapers & mags etc

- Does your book have bookstore presence beyond that you've been able to accomplish yourself? Yes in the UK at least - my last book published by Random |House didn't though"!

- What kind of editing did you receive? I have my own editor, as I insist on good editing. Jo is a retired editor LOL now "un-retired" ! (and happy to take on more work - email me if you are interested!) BF are happy to provide editing - although I have to admit I am not certain of the quality. I have advised they use good people though!

Thanks so much.
My pleasure

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I went with them and they did a superb job with my books, so much so that I decided to bring my next new novel out with them - and I am now about to publish a second.
Helen, please see my questions in the post above yours--would you consider answering them too?

I have to point out that using a digital printing service to bring out-of-print books back into circulation (the US-based Authors' Guild has a similar arrangement with POD service iUniverse) is not like using such a service to publish a brand-new novel. The needs and concerns are quite different.
Their marketing and production is a high standard and frankly I have to say, much better than I received at Random House!
Do they have a sales force? Do they send out advance reading copies for review in advance of publication? Do they do any trade advertising?
Oh and yes, D.A. 4 O'Clock Press etc are accepted by bookshops (in the UK anyway) - just as with any mainstream novel.
Do the books receive national distribution and placement on store shelves, or is it that they can be special ordered on customer request?
My marketing at Random House was useless, this company is superb - I get ongoing, quality, enthusiastic marketing. All the promotions for my novel Sea Witch have been top class - I'll be happy to forward details to anyone interested.
Would be willing to provide those here?
Note also that the publishing packages on their Publishing Deals page do not include the actual printing of the book--that costs extra, per the Retail and Print page. Depending on page count, that could make them one of the more expensive services out there. Also, their royalties (10-15% of net) are lower than average. I think you are a bit muddled here - they are one of the reasonable companies (Author House, for instance, costs far more & their books are not of the same quality - ditto marketing) 10 - 15% royalty is the same as mainstream.
10%-15% of retail price is typical of commercial publishers. BookForce pays 10%-15% of net (net can be less than 50% of retail, depending on the vendor). This is less than many other digital printers/self-publishing services, such as iUniverse, which pay 20% of net.

- Victoria

Raven Dane

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
reply to Victoria's queries

With pleasure!

I have had extensive press releases sent to a wide range of national newspapers and magazines. Also to many niche market ie gothic and vampire media sources. I have had articles about me in many newspapers and magazines and been interviewed twice on radio by the BBC. And this promotion is on going, unlike large publishing companys who give authors one short window of publicity.
Many. Including the influential British Fantasy Society website and magazine and Vampire Chronicles magazine.

- Does your book have bookstore presence beyond that you've been able to accomplish yourself?
Yes, again an ongoing situation. But they have influence far beyond the means of an individual author

Excellent, very thorough . I paid for editing with my first self publish company and nothing was done beyond a crude proof read. Professional editing is vital for any success.

I hope that helps! I am looking forward to being an active and enthusiatic new member of this forum and talk about something other then DA !!

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
Can I be very bold as a total newbie to this forum and try to put everyone's mind at ease over Discovered Authors and their competition?

Sure. Put our minds at ease. Tell us how many copies of your book they've sold without your involvement. Tell us the name of your publicist. Show us which physical bookstore locations your publisher has gotten your book onto.

That should do it for everyone here, I think.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Thanks for your answers, Helen.
- What sort of promotion have you received? Very very good.
I was hoping for details, such as where your book was sent for review.
- Has your book been reviewed in any professional venues? Yes. I was "launched" on the official Disney Pirate site "Keep to the Code" among other places (my latest novel is about pirates) I had an interview on LBC radio, various newspapers & mags etc
How were you launched? I'm familiar with that site, and don't see that it has space for competing products. Can you let us know which newspapers and magazines?
- Does your book have bookstore presence beyond that you've been able to accomplish yourself? Yes in the UK at least - my last book published by Random |House didn't though"!
Do you mean that the book is nationally stocked in bookstores? Locally stocked? Not stocked, but available for order?
- What kind of editing did you receive? I have my own editor, as I insist on good editing. Jo is a retired editor LOL now "un-retired" ! (and happy to take on more work - email me if you are interested!) BF are happy to provide editing - although I have to admit I am not certain of the quality. I have advised they use good people though!
Do authors have to pay for editing?

Thanks again.

- Victoria

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I'm sorry to seem so skeptical, but I'm a details person, and I like to be precise.
I have had extensive press releases sent to a wide range of national newspapers and magazines. Also to many niche market ie gothic and vampire media sources. I have had articles about me in many newspapers and magazines and been interviewed twice on radio by the BBC. And this promotion is on going, unlike large publishing companys who give authors one short window of publicity.
Just to clarify--how much of this has been initiated by your publisher, and how much by you?
Many. Including the influential British Fantasy Society website and magazine and Vampire Chronicles magazine.
Can you be a bit more specific about "many?"
Yes, again an ongoing situation. But they have influence far beyond the means of an individual author
Again, can you be more specific? Does your book have national shelf presence in, say, Waterstones? Local presence? Or is it special orderable on request?
Excellent, very thorough . I paid for editing with my first self publish company and nothing was done beyond a crude proof read. Professional editing is vital for any success.
Again for clarification--I'm assuming this answers my question above about authors paying for editing--it sounds as if you didn't? Another question, if you don't mind--did you receive content and/or line editing, or copy editing, or both?

And for both Raven and Helen, do you have any idea of sales figures? An approximate answer, such as "several hundred" or "several thousand" is fine.

Thanks.

- Victoria

wez

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevewestcott.com
Can I be very bold as a total newbie to this forum and try to put everyone's mind at ease over Discovered Authors and their competition?

Hi Raven, nice to meet up here. Luke from DA got back in touch with me wanting to publish my two books, - but at a cost. And some cost it was too by the time editing, printing, packaging and everything else was thrown in. They may have been fine with you, but I graciously declined their offer. I will not pay to have my work put out there. I have since found a nice small press who are reprinting my first book in my series, are publishing my second book soon after and, depending on sales, want the option on the third. They have also expressed an interest in my stand-alone once the first two are out there. All being well, both out in time for the Christmas rush. And at no cost to me. OK, no advance either, but at least they are taking the risk on the book working rather than spreading that risk to the author.

All the best with DA. I know you are pleased with them and your sales appear to be going great. Long may that continue.

Steve

HelenHollick

Registered
Reaction score
Answers

Very annoying - I answered & the darn thing didn't post. Sigh ... I'll try again...

Question:
I'm sorry to seem so sceptical, but I'm a details person, and I like to be precise. Sceptical is understandable, but Raven & I are genuine authors (trying LOL) to give genuine answers

Mostly Pirate connections - especially on the internet. My latest novel is pirate based. I have recently completed a lecture tour of Holland for my novel Harold the King fully backed by D.A. And as Raven has stated D.A. does continuous marketing - if there is an opportunity for promotion they take it (i.e. talk like a pirate day) Press releases were sent out to all national newspapers & relevant magazines.
With Heinemann I got two weeks marketing & that was it. For Sea Witch I received reviews in local newspapers, talked on local radio & LBC (London radio); had a super write up in Writer's Forum; I have received National press coverage for Harold. We haven't started with my Arthurian Trilogy yet...
One of D.A.'s other recent authors (a V.I.P.) has received National Press coverage (Guardian, Mail, Telegraph etc) Feel free to visit my web site for further things.

Just to clarify--how much of this has been initiated by your publisher, and how much by you? Press; by my publisher, the press rarely takes notice of the individual. I have initiated much of the internet with a follow up from my publisher. Myspace is fantastic for advertising!

see above ] Keep to the Code - go the Ship's Library - they did a competition for me to launch the book. I also had a complete main front page review on the home page. I am hoping they will do the same with Pirate Code. Talk Like A Pirate Day & Bilgemonkey Radio have reviews ... check my website out there's more info on there.

Not quite sure what you mean? I haven't got my book into any stores by myself - most stores will only deal with publishers. For bookstores to stock books they must be distributed by Bertrams or Gardners (in the UK) These companies only accept quality books - often they do not handle S.P. They do take D.A. (BookForce) The situation is a little different in the U.S.A. as BookForce / D.A. prints through BookSurge - who is not taken by Borders etc. therefore the books often do not get into stores. but D.A. is an ongoing newish company and they are working to sort this out. Also many books now are bought on Amazon anyway! Its cheaper!

Again, can you be more specific? Does your book have national shelf presence in, say, Waterstones? Local presence? Or is it special orderable on request? see above. Bookshops only take books that have a high profile. Ottakars used to be a lot better than Waterstones. My book is stocked in many independent bookstores - Waterstones is not the only bookstore you know!. I have seen more copies of Sea Witch my self published novel than I have A Hollow Crown which is mainstream. Again, I am not really that bothered about bookstores -my books can be ordered and Amazon sells nicely for me

In my case, fantastic. I have my own editor as no book should be marketed without a full edit - and I mean full, not just copy edit. Most self publish offer a basic edit in the cost - this is a copy edit. I have to be honest I am not sure what D.A. do - I have advised them to offer a full edit service. For MY books my editor does an initial read through & general advice, then a full edit, then a copy edit then a proof copy read through then a final printed copy read through. Yes I pay for that. I insist on quality - although I notice there is still the odd error - grr!!! Most S.P. packages contain some editing - for full editing you will probably have to pay .... you also indirectly pay in mainstream, until they earn their costs back you don't see a penny of the royalties.

And for both Raven and Helen, do you have any idea of sales figures? An approximate answer, such as "several hundred" or "several thousand" is fine. More than several hundred for each book - I have already made my money back on Sea Witch; it was published last May. Raven is several hundred, but she is building steadily. Most authors do not start selling well until their fourth or fifth book as the "fan" base has to build.

I hope that has answered your questions - anything I've missed will probably be on my website www.helenhollick.net or my Myspace
www.myspace.com/cptjesamiahacorne
www.myspace.com/helen_hollick

. Please note; we are genuine authors - please take our input in the vein it is offered, as writers passionate about our writing and willing to help other writers set a foot on the ladder = whatever ladder that may be, mainstream or s.p.
Someone mentioned to Raven that there was a thread about Discovered Authors on this site that was detrimental; out of loyalty to a good publisher who has been very helpful, most professional and certainly not a scam, we felt we would like to re-dress the balance of a few misconceptions. It is most disheartening though, on some forums, to try and be friendly and helpful to promising (or established) writers to receive what borders on rudeness in return.

As for sales figures, contrary to popular belief not many authors sell in their thousands - hence the reason why mainstream does not take new authors on but publish the latest celeb ghost written stuff instead. I couldn't care less whether my books sell 1, 100 or 1,000 a month - all I want is for them to be in print. J.K. Rowling financially I ain't. A darn good author, I am!

Steve - ah, I was right then, your mail had been "spammed". How annoying! We found BookFoce / D.A to be less in cost then other similar companies (Author House for instance costs a lot more & you get less)
But its great you found somewhere reliable to give you the service you want! As long as writers are NOT getting conned by the cowboys, then that's fine.

My advice to any author looking to go s.p.:

contact the company & ask for the authors they have already published and contact them for feedback.

Check exactly what you are getting: are you paying for books to be printed only - in which case YOU will have to store and sell them. Storing 1,000 books is a lot of boxes: garages get damp, sheds have mice. Selling them yourself means trudging round bookshops, many of whom will not touch s.p. or it means posting & packing ... but if there is no marketing who knows your book is for sale anyway? Yes nice to have it on Amazon but if no one knows to look for it ....

Are you going to get good editing with the package?

What marketing do they do?

Ask to see a copy of a book they have published.

If P.O.D. How much will it cost to buy copies of your book for yourself should you wish to attend bookfairs etc. You should be able to buy at trade price & then sell wholesale ... incidentally you only get 6 - 10 free copies from mainstream. Yes they might provide books for a fair, but they will expect to keep the money made on them!

Good luck with your writing everyone!

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
Wow.

That's a lot of vagueness and misinformation.

You do realize, don't you, that many people here are published, and every one of them was a first-time author at some point? Some of the regulars here have 20-30 books out--some more. So when you say things like "you also indirectly pay in mainstream, until they earn their costs back you don't see a penny of the royalties", nobody believes you. That's a lie that vanity publishers tell you in order to get your money.

"contrary to popular belief not many authors sell in their thousands"
Not many vanity-published authors, no. Authors with real publishers, yes. My first book sold 10k in 6 days, published by a small publisher. I was happy but disappointed because I suggested that the publisher print an initial 20,000, and it turns out that my sales projection was more accurate than his. Eh. It's a problem I don't mind that much.

"incidentally you only get 6 - 10 free copies from mainstream"
Not true at all. 25 is pretty common. I've heard of up to 100.

"mainstream does not take new authors on but publish the latest celeb ghost written stuff instead"
More vanity press propaganda and not true at all. You can verify this yourself by looking at books in a bookstore. Celebrity books are what--under 5% of the market?

"We found BookFoce / D.A to be less in cost then other similar companies (Author House for instance costs a lot more & you get less) "
This is true in that it compares your vanity press to other vanity presses.

Raven Dane

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Unbelievable!

I have only joined this forum for half a day and the same unpleasantness that made me leave the last writer's forum is here too! For the record, Helen Hollick is one of Britain's leading and most accclaimed historical writers with five novels published by Random House and a highly successful adult pirate adventure published by DA Diamonds. She has a big fan base in the USA and her work is recommended by Sharon Penman. To call her a vanity author is both highly inaccurate and deeply insulting. Her crime? To give an honest answer to other writers queries . She doesnt deserve such shabby treatment.

HelenHollick

Registered
Reaction score
reply.

Re Lloyd Brown. I find your answer rude and offensive. * I have contacted the moderator requesting it to be removed.

*This has been altered: I had added:

"bordering on my right to sue"

I put this as tongue in cheek knowing many Americans sue at the drop of a hat. I apologise for not realising that many from the USA do not understand British dry humour.

Please also see my post below.

Last edited:

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
Re Lloyd Brown. I find your answer rude and offensive and bordering on my right to sue.

You are threatening to sue over a post on a message board?

*sigh*

I guess I am not suprised, it wouldn't be the first time. I think its great to stand up for what you believe, but I think you should realize that not everyone will always believe the same as you. And threatening to sue isn't going to help matters.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
Raven and Helen,

I hope you will stay. Lloyd is repsonding in way which seems harsh but you have to understand the hardline that is taken around here.

Many of your answers resemble those made by Publish America authors (a scam company). The continous efforts to have you detail is important.

Why, because traditional publishers have this information freely available in most cases. It sends up red alarms when you can't the answers.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I disagree. When one threatens to 'sue' at the drop of a hat I say bugger off.

HelenHollick

Registered
Reaction score
I am not threatening to sue

I merely said, if you read my post, that the accusations (of calling me a liar) bordered on my right to sue. I actually said it tongue - in-cheek (British Humour) knowing to sue is a big thing in the USA (I watch Judge Judy a lot ... !)

As my intention has been mis-read, I will edit.

However. I do not appreciate being blatantly called a liar when all I have been trying to do is be helpful to new writers. I am a respected author of historical fiction - I have made it quite plain I am a UK author published by Discovered Authors - why would I be talking about Publish America?

The start of this thread had many msiconceptions about D.A. which as an author published by them I wished to put right. I have stated pure fact of my experiences as a UK author. And yes I am upset at being called a liar by someone who should know better! Wouldn't you be?

As I stated I have requested that the offensive post is to be removed.

This is twice now that I have entered a writer's forum on this sort of subject and received horrid abuse for my efforts. It is a pity, I enjoy helping. I do not enjoy being abused in a rude and ungentlemanly manner.

Raven Dane

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Not when the reputation of a respected published author with an acclaimed status gained from decades of sheer hard work producing many wonderful books , all published by one of the world's biggest publishers is treated so shabbily. Helen and I were alerted to this forum by another AW member who has been caught by Publish America. We were shocked how this company operates. I was caught up in an awful scam. We are being vilified for pointing out that this particular comany is legit. It is beyond bizzarre.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think everyone needs to take a deep breath here. The information presented is being raked over pretty thoroughly but that is pretty much the norm here. That is how this forum tends to eventually produce good information. Being a multi-published author lends someone a degree of authority, but isn't really the point. Many people here are published authors whether they publicise it or not and it is certainly never safe to assume anyone is speaking from ignorance or with a sinister motive. However, in response to such an assumption one could simply correct misapprehension blandly with reference to the facts.

(And wry comments do often astray online, not least because people who do have something to hide do seriously threaten to sue here regularly, periodically sue the management and one normal non-management member of this forum was recently served with formal legal papers just for voicing her opinions here--so the reactions here were in that context).

Finally, we aren't all American--I'm not even sure most members are. Members from New Zealand are in double digits, Brits must be in low hundreds at least.

Last edited:

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
*sigh*

I get everything ready to post and you pop in, Vein. :tongue

Okay, I agree. BUT...I've never even heard of Mrs. Hollick until today so I'll do some research and learn about her and her works. You also aren't being 'vilified' as I see it. This is a discussion with two sides.

But let's not back pedal with this:

I merely said, if you read my post, that the accusations (of calling me a liar) bordered on my right to sue. I actually said it tongue - in-cheek (British Humour) knowing to sue is a big thing in the USA (I watch Judge Judy a lot ... !)

I read it, and it reads like it says below. The context and meaning gives no support that there was humor, dry or otherwise, involved.

Re Lloyd Brown. I find your answer rude and offensive and bordering on my right to sue.

Second, Judge Judy is tripe Hollywood entertainment. Judges who act like that in an actual court setting lose their next election. It's a simple caricature of the US legal system with a shrill, screaming loon for a star. If you are getting your information on what goes on in America by watching that show....well...I'd have to wonder if Great Britain is full of conniving characters like in the Black Adder series. :)

Well...on second thought....where is Chris and Ben? They are a lot like Black Adder characters. :D

In any event, welcome Raven and Helen. You'll find a lot of good discussions and some heated ones as well.

Last edited:

HelenHollick

Registered
Reaction score
:)

Oh you've spoilt my day. Judge Judy isn't real? Nor is Black Adder? Bother. You didn't think I take her seriously did you? LOL

Yes, re my reference to bordering on my rights I take your point, my apologies ... but I still want the offensive post removed as I DO find it offensive to be called a liar and it IS a slur on my character. And yes, it DOES border on my right to sue....

Discussion, disagreement is one thing. Blatant rudeness is another entirely.

By all means check me out ... I said to do so right at the start.
www.helenhollick.net is my main website.

My Myspace profiles are more for fun;

Google for Helen Hollick if you wish. I am a good friend of writers Sharon Kay Penman, Elizabeth Chadwick, James L. Nelson. Raven Dane. I know Bernard Cornwell. Stephen Lawhead ... is that enough name dropping for my C.V. ? :)

In addition to being an author I am also on board the movie project of 1066 as co-script writer. Anyone happen to have $100 million dollars lying around so we can get filming?

I am somewhat puzzled by Lloyd Brown .. I cannot find any reference for him as a writer on Google. I assume he uses another name to write under? Nor can I understand such rudeness from an author who wishes to sell his books. I am afraid I will not be reading any. But then I doubt he will read any of mine, seeing as he obviously dislikes me.

As Raven said above - all we wanted to do was put a few misconceptions about a solid, reliable and very good UK publishing company right because there are so many scam companies out there! I agree with her, the reaction to our honesty is bizarre! We have been slammed - and I have been called a liar - for telling the truth about a good company! It is idiotic!

By all means ask questions, I will be delighted to answer to the best of my ability. No I am not a best-seller. I may not be widely known (never said I was) I have not been fortunate enough to sell 10k books in the first 6 days. I have, however, worked hard at my writing and I am proud of it. I was devastated when Random House decided to not re-print my backlist, and I am thrilled to have found a company that is better than Random House, to know my books will always be in print, that I have at last got some decent covers and that I am now getting suitable, ongoing, marketing. Oh and I might have been wrong about the number of books I got for free from Random House. It was 6 hardbacks. !0 paperbacks. I know I'm blonde and I do have a few senior moments but I know what ! got.

You will find excerpts of all my books on my website. I suggest you judge my writing ability for yourself. But how the heck can I be a vanity author when I have already proved myself as a mainstream author?

I believe Steve on this message board was also looking for a publisher to print his back list? I don't hear anyone calling him a vanity author. Why not? Because like me, he is a respected, proven, darn good writer who just wants to keep all his books in print.

my books:

Come and Tell Me - a Keep yourself safe book for children. This was the official UK Government Home Office safety book for ten years.

The Kingmaking
Pendragon's Banner
Shadow of the King.

Harold the King
A Hollow Crown

Sea Witch
almost finished: Pirate Code.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
Oh yeah? I've made $15 just selling popcorn on this thread. Beat that.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The best thing is that digital pop-corn isn't fattening.

So, trying oh-so-casually to get back on top, what led you to Discovered Authors and what other options did you consider?

I find it fascinating where people end up. I am still wandering around in the realm of epublishing and think less traditional (but non-exploitative) approaches are worth exploring.