Status
Not open for further replies.

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Just now sent something in, Jenna. This is a wonderful idea. :)

Come on, everybody, let's use our talents to help our friends and neighbors in need!

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
If I can't submit something I'd like to offer my very inexperienced services in some way.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Thanks, Paint! Mac is forwarding me the submissions that she approves, and *wow*... we may need to do two volumes! :)

It would be a great idea if people want to give an idea here of what they're going to write about, so we can make sure we don't have lots of stories on the same basic subject.

In your submission, I'd also appreciate it if you'd mention what section you think it would belong in (or suggest a new section if not one of the ones I already noted).

I'm really excited about the response already. I think we're going to do a lot of good with this! I'm going to search for some government-commissioned (public domain) tip sheets on disaster preparedness...

aspier

Banned
Reaction score
I live in my poetry and stories ... sometimes the
Website
users.skynet.be
mm

JennaGlatzer said:
So I was thinking about what we could do, as a group, to help with the relief efforts for Hurricane Katrina victims.

I thought about Uncle Jim and how he's raised a few hundred dollars for the SFWA's medical emergency funds with Atlanta Nights, and thought-- hey-- we could do something similar, but with actual good writing.

The thought is:

An anthology, which we can release through Lulu at no cost.

We donate 100% of the proceeds to the Red Cross.

Open call-- anyone can participate. If we limit submissions to about 1000 words, then 50-75 writers could easily join in.

Now, the theme...

I've had a few thoughts on what the theme of the anthology could be. My first thought was humor, but then I thought, "Well, is that really appropriate, considering the book will be used for disaster relief?" My second thought was "Stories of Hope." Cheesy title, but a more appropriate theme. Could encompass personal stories of overcoming difficult odds, or inspirational messages in general. Third thought: flash fiction. Fourth thought: "What gives my life meaning."

Anyone have better thoughts? This is not a "bookstore book"-- if we go through Lulu (and I think we should, to get it out quickly), it'll be sold primarily online, and we'd need people to link to it on their sites, blogs, etc. to draw attention to it.

What we'd need, in addition to submissions:

-One volunteer to put out the call for submissions on several sites.

-Two-three editors to go through the submissions and do developmental editing

-One-two copy editors

-As many volunteers as possible to spread the word after the book is released.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I volunteer as editor re poetry (=sub). I haven't followed the thread post by post. Can somebody give a kind of breakdown re what and how far and when end date?

I also have some material but need to know end theme.

Plus I might have the right cover pic for the dust cover. Who is main manager (=coordinator)? You, Jenna? Or?

aspier

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
OneTeamOneDream said:
Along with submitting, I can get the word out to a couple of 100,000+ circulation newspapers. One of them is on the east coast, and one of them is in the midwest.

Make that as of now, 5 total newspapers

2 with 100,000+ circulation

2 with 15,000 circulation

1 with 8500 circulation.

And its a done deal. Once the book gets completed and on the site, I will send them the information, and they assured me it will be mentioned.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would like to participate, too, Jenna. I think this is a great way for writers to help.

mrs75

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mistisandefur.com
Jenna,

I am in as well. I will be glad to submit a story when I find out the theme you're going with, and I will also do the following:

Send out press releases in the Southern Illinois area
Post information on my website
When the book begins taking shape I'll help with it in anyway I can too
Just discuss the areas you need help in and I'll be glad to give my time to the project.

I'll subscribe to this thread to keep watching for more information. Please send me a PM when you're ready so I can get information to help advertise and etc... I have over 5 year experience in Sales & Marketing. Please keep me up to date, and let me know where to send submissions, and the submission guidelines.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Yeah, if someone makes up a standard press release, I'll see that it gets to all the papers in my area. I'm terrible at writing those, plus I think it would be a good idea if they all were the same.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Thanks so much! The guidelines are already posted, Misti-- they're here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=314599&postcount=46

As far as a press release goes, hang on, because we'll need to give ordering information, and I won't have those details until the manuscript is complete. We're going to edit as we go along, so I'm hoping to have the entire book finished by about Sept. 20th and ready for sale within a few days of that. :)

I have another interesting couple of ideas for writing-related things we can all do...

First idea is:

Personalized poems, auctioned on eBay through GivingWorks. Just a few bucks each-- the bidder tells us what the poem is for (love, happy birthday, etc.) and whether they want rhyming or non-rhyming, and one (or more) of us send poems. :) EBay sends the money straight to our charity of choice, so we don't even have to handle that.

The other ideas need more hatching, so I'll explain later.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Rats. Did some investigating on eBay and the minimum donation on each item is $10, plus they still charge you insertion fees and final fees, even though they donate that money to the charity, too. Then MissionFish takes $2 from it for their expenses. Maybe not the best idea...

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
Rats. Did some investigating on eBay and the minimum donation on each item is $10, plus they still charge you insertion fees and final fees, even though they donate that money to the charity, too. Then MissionFish takes $2 from it for their expenses. Maybe not the best idea...

Give it time, I bet ebay will have something with a no fee/ Katrina donation type section for listings.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
OH! And one more note: I'm going away tomorrow and Sunday, so don't think I'm neglecting you... I'll be at my cousin's wedding. Back on Monday!

Jenny

Who should be writing ...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sent in my story. A retake on a fairy tale, about sharing strength and what it means to be a hero. Glad I could contribute. Thanks, Jenna.

Jenny

mrs75

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mistisandefur.com
I'm terrible at writing those, plus I think it would be a good idea if they all were the same.
Yes, great idea, the same release. If possible the person who chooses to write the release could post it here for every one that is willing to use it for advertising purposes. And then, another idea, those of us who advertise could list some of the sources we advertised in, or at least the areas that we covered.

The guidelines are already posted, Misti-- they're here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/sho...99&postcount=46
Thanks for that info, I did find these after posting the message :)

As far as a press release goes, hang on, because we'll need to give ordering information, and I won't have those details until the manuscript is complete.
Do you think a press release for submissions would be a good thing too or not?

I'll keep my eye out here for new information. Again, I do have over 5 years experience in marketing and sales so if there is anything I can do in this area please let me know - PM me or e-mail me if you like. My e-mail is msks04 @ shawneelink. net (omit the spaces). I :Clap: your idea

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a piece in progress, I'm just trying to make it the best it can be before submitting it - well, no, that's wrong - I'm just trying to make it the best I am able to make it (with help from JAlpha - thanks JAlpha).

What is it? I like to think of it as a poetic meditation but I suppose it is going to be judged as a poem, so hopefully it will also appear to be a good poem too.

The title of it is 'Trials of the moment' and if I try and define it more closely it is about finding strength and faith to face the future from the confidence gained by past experiences.

It is actually something I had already written but it just seems so appropriate to the current event and to the aim of the proposed anthology. It was in keeping for a far-future possible collection and so I thought I had years in which to hone it - I'm now trying to cram that process into days.

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
When the press release is done, let us know. I will be able to send to a dozen papers here, including three metro areas.

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
Jenna, this will help so many people, including us. Knowing what's happening since Katrina can make us all feel so helpless and sad and angry and overwhelmed and despairing -- whoa, i'm getting carried away. Except that it is all true.

Contributing to this project is a chance to scream IT'S NOT ALL BAD! WE AREN'T ALL MONSTERS! THERE IS STILL GOOD IN THE WORLD! and possibly even be heard.

At least, that's what it feels like to me.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Keep the submissions coming, folks! We won't close subs until September 16th--and Jenna said there was a little bit of flex around that date, too. I'm so overwhelmed and pleased at the high quality and professionalism of the submissions already received.

Thank you so much.

Last edited:

aspier

Banned
Reaction score
I live in my poetry and stories ... sometimes the
Website
users.skynet.be
Suggestion re cover etc.

Talk of press release - release of what? So far, all one gets from this thread is the impression that here's a lot of goodwill and sufficient brainstorming. Press releases are very to the point 'things'. The 'whats' and 'whens' got to be in there. You can do a press release only once, etc. So mm its precarious. Needs a clear brain.

Brainstorming: The way I get it, is that we are compiling some sort of publication? No? Will it be a digital publication and then the file get flogged on the web? Frow what platform? Got a program to collect the money? A bookkeeper? Things with the law ok? 'Where' do you sell? Only America? Or Japan and Europe too? Do they like this money rafflin,g on the web in Japan? Mmm in Irak?
Or is it going to be a 'real' book? Who is publishing it? 'Authors' (in this case 'Write People') cash in on that only some 10%. And that goes to who? The Mayor of New Orleans? What other help organization? Who is the 'publisher' that'll get the 90%?

How does the book look? Who is the designer? Cover? Blurb? Poetry? Prose?

Ok, I'm sure we can do it! But mmm we must take sure firm planned steps. The collection of work is but the minor of the issue. And proffessional or not you can have whatever you need from my work. Short story, poetry, etc. But I need some kind of main man to tell me what and how and when! (This is also what the press would want to know)

SUGGESTION

1. Title of book = Water shoes

The word water is in there. And shoes that's the cultural element. Shoes are made by man. Water by nature. Symbolically = walk on water = need lot of courage + hope to do that! Shoes = walking, keep on walking (not Jhonny Walker's type say!) Shoes=bracing feet, etc.

2. Frontpic dustcover = Picturers of Ora Odoura.

She has done beautiful artistic photo's of 'water shoes' (Some are on my site = http://users.skynet.be/spier/excerptsnougat.htm if you want to look) I am sure we can get her to agree using some of the pics - one or a series? I'll mail her re this today.)

3. I have a short prose piece of a kind of apocalypse. 2 Pages I think. It might be suitable. Then I got more poetry to fill it when fill up's needed. Say a digital publication can be a million pages long but that's really eh aah, you know such and so, no?

4. Jenna get a 'main man' who coordinates + start a new thread where only 'serious work talk' goes in. That is when this 'brainstorming' one is done. We pick some ideas from this one and work on it. And I suggest the 'main man' (or oeee 'main woman' maybe better) makes regular descicion summaries. Let him use blue. See lot of us are willing to help but we just haven't the time to re-browse something like 20 posts - no matter how good they are, etc.

Very good suggestion of yours it was! My god, 1 day and whoosh city gone!

aspier

Status
Not open for further replies.