Bronze Age China/Chinese Names

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Emily R

Registered
Reaction score
This is probably a long shot, but anyone versed in Bronze Age China (Shang Dynasty and earlier, c. 2000-1100BC) or know some good/reliable/well-explained-for-someone-who-isn't-Chinese resources?

In particular I could use help with ancient Chinese given names, since I have done enough research to know they had special naming conventions and what those are, but also that same research was enough to tell me that I do not know enough Chinese to properly come up with names to fit those conventions. Honestly if anyone just speaks modern Chinese or knows a source where I can find someone who does, that would probably help a lot with this part.

Secondarily, any help with day to day cultural information would be really helpful.

My story is a scifi/fantasy/mythology story combining different ancient cultures from the Mediterranean to China and also time travel, so I don't need to be absolutely 100% historically accurate, but I want to be as culturally accurate as possible, and I definitely know the least about ancient China out of all the cultures involved, and two of my main characters are Chinese and have been going by filler names for literally forever, so any help would be awesome!

CMBright

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how good it would be but a bit of poking around found this. Turned up through a Google search for 'bronze age chinese names' .

I am not an expert in any way.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how good it would be but a bit of poking around found this. Turned up through a Google search for 'bronze age chinese names' .

I am not an expert in any way.
Glancing at that page, it seems to have only names from the Qin and Han eras, a thousand years too late. And it's just a handful of names of famous people, nothing that can be generalized.

A look at some other pages on the site shows that they too are just a pretty random list of names, more or less unsourced & out of context, and not at all complete or even representative of a given time & place. In short, the site may be well-intentioned but in its current state it's pretty much useless as a resource.

SWest

thank you Inez
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
There are a bunch of resources in the footnotes here:

Some names and cool info here:

Basically think up a bunch of research topics, then crib names from the readings.

Emily R

Registered
Reaction score
There are a bunch of resources in the footnotes here:

Some names and cool info here:

Basically think up a bunch of research topics, then crib names from the readings.
Some goo tidbits in these I hadn't found elsewhere and some sources for the articles I can also scour, thanks!

Reactions: SWest

Featured Book