• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Brain Lag Publishing

Wisteria Vine

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone heard of these guys? Seems a little amateurish. http://www.brain-lag.com/company.php

From their site:

"Talent comes from all backgrounds, and even though an author hasn't found the magic formula to allow him to get an agent or publisher, that author deserves recognition."

And by "magic formula" they must mean talent and hard work. Right?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone heard of these guys? Seems a little amateurish. http://www.brain-lag.com/company.php

There's an error in the second sentence there.

It looks like a vanity or some such, not sure. Reading around, the books they've put out appear to be those of the 'staff,' who are tasked with editing and production though they seem to have no education or experience in those areas.

The whole veiled schtick about trade publishers not being interested in unknown authors would make me wary as well, personally. I dunno anything concrete, just my impressions from reading the site.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
The founder's blog gives her reasons for starting up this press.

I have never held a permanent job for more than a year.
Filled me with confidence, that did.

I self-published my first book, Aurius, doing the cover art myself and using my experience in these two jobs with document formatting to take care of all aspects of the book creation myself.

And that’s when it hit me. I enjoyed doing that.

I enjoyed every step of the process. The editing, the interior layout, the cover creation, and of course holding my own book in my hands. And I realized, I could do this for other people.
I don't want my publisher to get my book into my hands. I want my publisher to get my book into the hands of a lot of readers. Holding my book in my hands is something I can do on my own - I don't need a publisher for that.

As for the founder's book, I checked it out on Amazon, but the start was slow-paced and didn't give me any reason to read further. I stopped at these lines, which came just after a long paragraph describing some unnamed characters :

"She was almost his height, not unattractive, but slightly overweight and wearing an uninteresting cream-colored blouse and brown skirt. He stopped the thought short, reminding himself of his own flabby stomach dressed in a plain T-shirt and blue jeans."

I wouldn't trust the person who wrote this to edit my work.

I’ve read a lot of really good amateur/indie fiction posted online to websites like Fictionpress and Elfwood, and I know there are a lot – a lot – of manuscripts out there that have never left people’s drawers or hard drives.
That's because a lot - a lot - of manuscripts are not of a quality that people would pay money to read.

Amateur hour.

Last edited:

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
The founder's blog gives her reasons for starting up this press.

Filled me with confidence, that did.

I don't want my publisher to get my book into my hands. I want my publisher to get my book into the hands of a lot of readers. Holding my book in my hands is something I can do on my own - I don't need a publisher for that.

As for the founder's book, I checked it out on Amazon, but the start was slow-paced and didn't give me any reason to read further. I stopped at these lines, which came just after a long paragraph describing some unnamed characters :

"She was almost his height, not unattractive, but slightly overweight and wearing an uninteresting cream-colored blouse and brown skirt. He stopped the thought short, reminding himself of his own flabby stomach dressed in a plain T-shirt and blue jeans."

I wouldn't trust the person who wrote this to edit my work.

That's because a lot - a lot - of manuscripts are not of a quality that people would pay money to read.

Amateur hour.

Well actually I find the excerpt you quoted kind of intriguing. She obviously needs to quit describing the clothes in that much detail though.
*Lisa Whitefern who always feels kind of bad, for the micro presses, even while agreeing writers must be cautious.*

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
"Talent comes from all backgrounds, and even though an author hasn't found the magic formula to allow him to get an agent or publisher, that author deserves recognition."

I'm wondering why they only want to publish male authors.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Well actually I find the excerpt you quoted kind of intriguing. She obviously needs to quit describing the clothes in that much detail though.

It's the wording, too - it implies to me that the flabby stomach was wearing a T-shirt and blue jeans.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And, if she's "never held a permanent job for more than a year", why would anyone trust her to stick with this one? Unless you don't care if your book vanishes after a year?
It's not like other jobs, where the boss can just hire a replacement. When she goes (unless she's better organized that most start-ups), the company goes. With any books they've got under contract.