Bookstores that have been contacted

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, there is no price as yet, no official press release and or flyer, as the cover art is not quite ready. Hang in there folks, it won't be long and the push can start. I'm sure Jenna wants to use official, approved, Stories of Stregth flyers and press releases.

Watch for any posts by Jenna, she'll give us the low-down when it happens.

Ken

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
But we are getting close. :) Don't hold me to it, but I think the price will be $15.95 (I was aiming for $14.95, but our page count went up, so the base price of printing went up). In terms of actual dollars, it's best to have people order straight through Lulu-- that's how we get the best royalty rate. In terms of publicity/distribution, it's best to order through a bookstore, so it's a bit of a toss-up. I'd still lean toward asking people to order through Lulu when possible, though, because that's the guaranteed way to get more dollars flowing in to the relief fund.

I can't finalize the release until the manuscript is actually uploaded to Lulu. I can't get ordering details before that point (an ordering link, ISBN, etc.). So that's at least a week away; Lisa is currently copyediting it, then it gets proofread and formatted.

I have a mock-up of the front cover and it looks great. Final version in a day or two.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
If ordering through Lulu is best, should I still go ahead with contacting bookstores in CT? Borders in Fairfield wants to make an enormous deal out of it and would like as many authors as possible to come for a talk and signing. For those who don't know, they're located about an hour outside of NYC. And, yes Jenna, they want you there to talk about it!!

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Oh, by all means, keep contacting bookstores! I just mean for our own friends and family, it's probably best to ask them to order straight from Lulu because we can explain to them that that's how we get the most money for the relief effort. But the more bookstores that stock it, the merrier. Every sale makes a difference.

P.S. I can't do any traveling anytime soon. :( I'm totally swamped through the end of the year. CT is about 3 hours from me 'cause I'm in the middle of Long Island.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
JennaGlatzer said:
Oh, by all means, keep contacting bookstores! I just mean for our own friends and family, it's probably best to ask them to order straight from Lulu because we can explain to them that that's how we get the most money for the relief effort. But the more bookstores that stock it, the merrier. Every sale makes a difference.
P.S. I can't do any traveling anytime soon. :( I'm totally swamped through the end of the year. CT is about 3 hours from me 'cause I'm in the middle of Long Island.

Ever hear mention of the Port Jeff ferry?????? Leave your car in LI, walk on, 1/2 later you be in B'Port-I pick you up and 20 min. later, you be in Borders
smile.gif
And, yeah, I'll give you a ride back too!

KimJo

Outside the box, with the bunnehz
Registered
Reaction score
Waldenbooks, Auburn, Maine. The manager said he'd like some printed info about the book (how's the press release coming?), but that he'll probably order at least a couple copies.

NancyMehl

She Who Resonates...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancymehlbooks.com
Since I write book reviews for The Wichita Eagle in Wichita, Kansas, I work regularly with Wichita bookstores. I will be happy to contact them, but I will need an ISBN and info on distribution. Will they have to order from Lulu?

Also...Jenna posted this once, but if ANYONE who contributed a story to SOS is from Kansas or has spent some time here, please contact me. I can include SOS in my column.

Nancy

MarkPettus

Writer and Editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
markpettus.com
How about... one of my closest friends is a local celebrity in KC? (He's one of my first readers, and one of those folks you see a lot of during pledge week at the local PBS station).

Sorry, its all I've got.

NancyMehl

She Who Resonates...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancymehlbooks.com
MarkPettus said:
How about... one of my closest friends is a local celebrity in KC? (He's one of my first readers, and one of those folks you see a lot of during pledge week at the local PBS station).

Sorry, its all I've got.

Well, if you'd like to admit that he actually wrote your story....we might have a deal!

Otherwise.....no. But I'll give you an A for effort!

Nancy

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
Wil Wheaton made a movie about Kansas. It's called The Good Things.

I was born in Kansas.

The cover designer is from Kansas, I suspect.

I bet if we look hard enough, we can find several more connections to the home of the world's largest ball of twine.

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
Jean Marie said:
Does driving through Kansas count?
smile.gif

I got a very expensive speeding ticket in Kansas once, does that count?

Gabriele

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lostfort.blogspot.com
My aunt is visiting my cousin in San José, CA. Usually, she spends quite some time in Barnes & Nobles there (when she isn't with the kids). I already told her she'll get an email as soon as I have the necessary info. :)

And my cousin can tell a few friends. ;)

icacat

OH Bookstores

I've been away from the board for a few weeks, but thought I'd add my 2 cents.

I have a few relationships with bookstore owners/managers in the Columbus and Cleveland areas. I'll talk to the Waldenbook managers as well as the owner of Northrop Bookstore and Loganberry Books.

Amey

KimJo

Outside the box, with the bunnehz
Registered
Reaction score
I went back to the Auburn, Maine Waldenbooks and dropped off the press release; the manager said he will be stocking it :)

Also Book Burrow in Auburn and Books N Things in Oxford, Maine, both independent bookstores. I have a definite yes from Book Burrow; the Books N Things owner wasn't there, so I left a copy of the press release with my contact info. Her assistant manager said the owner almost always orders books by or including local authors.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Borders in Fairfield will be placing their order this Sunday
emoteClap.gif
Why are they waiting? 'Cause the order man is off today and tomorrow.

I'm going in tomorrow to hand deliver some bookmarks and flyers-they want them up and handed out immediately
emoticonbanana.gif
emoticonbanana.gif

On Sunday, I'll be hitting all the other bookstores in my area and next week, out of my area.

Is this cool or what????

WVWriterGirl

Inked Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Taylor Books in Charleston, West Virginia
Empire Books and News in Huntington, West Virginia
Sue's Bible Books in Logan, West Virginia

All have agreed to a flyer posted in their window, but I haven't gotten one to them yet. I'll be doing that in the coming days/weeks.

I called the Charleston, WV Books-a-Million, and they won't let me put up a flyer until you can purchase the book in their store.

And while not a bookstore, I'm going to try and put one up in Giovanni's (a pizza place) here in Chapmanville - it's the hub of activity in this town.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just faxed a press release to the CEO of Indigo Books & Music up here in Canada, the national bookstore chain with over 300 stores.

Okay, so it'll get read by half a dozen underlings in her office first, but you never know what could happen.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing definitive to report as of yet, but a very nice lady from the Indigo CEO's office phoned yesterday to tell me that unfortunately, the CEO was out of town, but my fax was being passed along to the head of procurement.

Stay tuned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanukkah sameach!

Gold menorah and on a gradiated purple background