Books with Triple POV

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
I've read quite a few contemporary romance books that use double POV alternating between the two love interests. I enjoy this style and was using it for my current romance wip, but the story also includes a love triangle. Now I want to include this third pov. The only books I've really come across that have multiple povs, or follow multiple characters closely, seem to be epic fantasy novels. Often the characters are not even inter-mingling, at least not in the beginning. Examples would be things like the Game of Thrones books and the later books in the Throne of Glass series. Does anyone have any *contemporary* romance recommendations written in this manner?

I was also thinking of doing Part I: mc1 and mc2.
Then Part II: mc1 and mc3.
And then Part III: back to mc1 and mc2 or a blend of all three to wrap things up.

Thank you.

KBooks

Registered
Reaction score
And then Part III: back to mc1 and mc2 or a blend of all three to wrap things up.

Are we talking like a reverse harem or polyamorous relationship? That's where I tend to see multiple perspectives. If it's just your standard love triangle and MC1 and MC2 wind up together, with MC3 going on their merry way, then I can't think of any triple pov offhand, but I'm interested to see what others come up with. More often, I see dual pov, where the third wheel MC is an important side character and gradually fades out of MC1/MC2's story, but may be featured in their own story with their own love interest in the sequel (and get their pov told then.)

Last edited:

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
Are we talking like a reverse harem or polyamorous relationship? That's where I tend to see multiple perspectives. If it's just your standard love triangle and MC1 and MC2 wind up together, with MC3 going on their merry way, then I can't think of any triple pov offhand, but I'm interested to see what others come up with. More often, I see dual pov, where the third wheel MC is an important side character and gradually fades out of MC1/MC2's story, but may be featured in their own story with their own love interest in the sequel (and get their pov told then.)

It's just a standard love triangle, not reverse harem or anything like that.

Yes, I've definitely read the important side character who later gets their own book.

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds really interesting, but just putting this out there: a lot of romance publishers would want you to remove the third point of view. Not all, of course, but many. I'm pretty sure my publisher would ask me to remove it.

Occasionally you see a handful of scenes from the "other man's" POV, but I've only seen this in a series where the second man will get his own romance in the next book.

On the other hand, if you wanted to market it as women's fiction, I think you'd have a better chance of getting away with it.

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
On the other hand, if you wanted to market it as women's fiction, I think you'd have a better chance of getting away with it.

I agree. Plenty of women's and mainstream novels as well as mystery/thriller/crime have three (or sometimes more) POVs. Liane Moriarty, Jennifer Weiner, Sue Miller and Elin Hilderbrand are just some of the writers who do it often and well.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
I agree. Plenty of women's and mainstream novels as well as mystery/thriller/crime have three (or sometimes more) POVs. Liane Moriarty, Jennifer Weiner, Sue Miller and Elin Hilderbrand are just some of the writers who do it often and well.

That's a good point. Thanks Sonya and Ellis.

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
That's a good point. Thanks Sonya and Ellis.

You're welcome. :) I don't want to discourage you, and I really do like your idea a lot (I promise not to steal it!). Romance publishers can be very picky, however...