• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

BLKDOG Publishing

Scribbley

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with Blkdog Publishing?
https://www.blkdogpublishing.com/about-us

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
Hmm. They proofread, but it sounds like they don't have an actual editorial staff. And I can't tell whether they accept whatever is sent, or if there's a vetting process. In any case, they're very new. Might want to watch and wait.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
What the hell is a "copyright blurb"? (Wow, this is an amazing copyright on this book!)

Otherwise you'll be stuck with what (cover art) we've come up with!

You fill me with confidence.

Offhand, I speculate that one of their authors decided it would be keen to open his own publishing house. He's not the first. Most writers can DIY better on their own.

For my part I am going to avoid reading any book in which the writer thought that "Harry Balls" would be a fun name for the hero.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, my. I'm a great many decades past thinking that was amusing.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And, maybe I'm missing something, but there appear to be no names of any employees. Unless that is exactly the same as the list of names of their writers.

And, they say that they don't do physical copies, because it's too expensive, but that if your sales are good, and you really want to, they are prepared to discuss the matter with you. And 'offer to produce it for you'. Which does kind of have a 'and charge you for it' vibe.

Also "If a title hasn't sold to your expectations (this is unfortunately commonplace in the world of books), we'll keep you in the loop and look at what we can do to promote the title."
So, they don't do any promotion unless you complain?

And "
if you have artwork you'd rather supply yourself that's no problem." What real publisher, ever, has said that? They're supposed to be in the business of selling books, not providing a display for amateur art.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Poor us. We're just getting by. Understand that we are very limited in what we can do but we'll try everything humanly possible to get your book out there and recognized. Don't be shocked if it doesn't happen (this is unfortunately commonplace in the world of books), so you do have fair warning.

Scythian

Registered
Reaction score
A year from now, perhaps. Still early days.

For now I’ll just say me and my publisher appear to be a good fit for each other. Nice focused contract, in the sense of no rights grabs, no “forever clauses”. That's all I'm prepared to share at this point.

*A reminder to all aspiring writers—if you go down the small indie pub road—try to find one which is the best fit for you and your unique circumstance, expectations, and capabilities.*

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
A year from now, perhaps. Still early days.

For now I’ll just say me and my publisher appear to be a good fit for each other. Nice focused contract, in the sense of no rights grabs, no “forever clauses”. That's all I'm prepared to share at this point.

Thank you. When you feel it's the right time, I'd be interested in what their editing was like.