• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Bliss Literary Agency Int'l (Jenoyne Adams)

[email protected]

Metaphysical Spiritualist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
BLISS lit. Intnl.
P&E gives them the all important $ sign. They appear to be small-n-personal type agency with some intnl. contacts. Does any one have any info on, or experience with this Agency?

Thanks in advance :)

~Michael

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
I recently received a rejection from them to a query + first chapter I'd sent in February. Since over six months had passed, I'd written them off. They were apologetic for the long wait.

[email protected]

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Well here it is. Jenoyne is a doll! Respectful and kind. Namoi is also quite honorable. Here's a part of the(you guessed it)rejection that she sent:
"If you do decide to lengthen the manuscript, please feel free to resubmit directly to me, as your novella is quite interesting."

My manuscript is just under 9,000 words. Now I could look for something implied here, but I'm going to stick with, 'Just reading the black words.':)

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You don't need to read between the lines: they are inviting you to resubmit directly to the agent if you make your manuscript longer. That's good news.

[email protected]

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
You don't need to read between the lines: they are inviting you to resubmit directly to the agent if you make your manuscript longer. That's good news.

I believe so.:snoopy:

The challenge for me: The manuscript is somewhat cathardic, and I'll have to get it from 9,000 words to(I'm guessing)60,000. Probably more. Either way, it's very encouraging news. I'm grateful!

~Michael

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Jenoyne Adams is my agent and I couldn't possibly be happier. She had my manuscript on submission quickly, is always easy to reach (she answers my emails within a few hours always, even on Sundays and holidays) and she sold my manuscript to Simon Pulse (YA division of Simon and Schuster) after just a few months on submission. She's amazing, and I highly recommend her.

Naomi is also fantastic.

Mandy

limbo.
Registered
Reaction score
I am repped by J, and so is Shady Lane and Girl Lit.

I think I can safely say we're all pretty happy. Girl Lit's book was just released!!

ETA: Oops, Shades! ;)

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Don't read into it. Just go write. Sounds like they like your idea, and they like your writing, or at least don't object to it. Now they want to see if you can carry it through. Go. Write. Now. :)

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
I just queried her tonight. Looks like she has had some great sales in the area I want to break into.

[email protected]

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
So does this mean a non-response is a rejection? I sent her a query several months ago as well...

From the BLISS Web Page:

Though we will let you know our decision on requested material (average response time is 6-8 weeks, sometimes sooner), we may not be able to respond to every query letter due to volume.

This is what I've been taught: Send multiple queries. (I'm guessing that most of us do.) When I'm asked for a complete manuscript, then discuss the terms of 'exclusivity'.
~Michael

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
Nope, naive. :D.

Besides, I can assure you that giving an agent a time limit on how long they have to read your partial/full is just asking for a rejection, unless it's a very specific case (like the one detailed below)

The only time you do this is if they request exclusive, and then you work out a reasonable amount of time for them to have exclusivity, or if you have several requests for fulls out and one of the agents offers representation. Then you let the other agents know that you will be giving agent an answer by the end of the week/month/whatever, so that they have a chance to offer you representation should they want you for a client.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Isn't it honorable to offer a pre-determined, 'exclusive' review period? Something reasonable. A week, perhaps? Or am I just being naive? And if I am being naive, can I blame my parents?:D

Just dittoing Nakhlasmoke. It's not honorable, it's naive, and very few agents are going to have the time to read your work immediately anyway (although of course they might). Don't bring up an exclusive unless they ask.

I don't think agents even need to know you have others looking at your materials, although there are some who believe they should be told.