Bleed Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CetiAlphaVI

Registered
Reaction score
So I'm taking on a book cover project and it will be one of my first projects that will actually see print.

If a requirement is to submit in pdf, say 6X9, and leave .125" of bleed space, do you want to actually submit your pdf at 6.250" by 9.250" or does the pdf actually store the bleedover area even though it doesn't show up when viewing?

I've always wondered if things outside of the crop of my main page in a pdf were still buried in the file.(namely in Illustrator and InDesign)

I'll be be bouncing back and forth between Illustrator and Photoshop for this project.

Thanks in advance.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think you would want to include the bleed space, keeping your true image within the 6x9 (live) area. The image itself should extend into the bleed space.

The bleed space is to allow for any slight misalignment during the printing.

I'm not absolutely sure however.

Last edited:

CetiAlphaVI

Registered
Reaction score
I think you would want to include the bleed space, keeping your true image within the 6x9 (live) area. The image itself should extend into the bleed space.

The bleed space is to allow for any slight misalignment during the printing.

I'm not absolutely sure however.

I understand the concept of the bleed space, I'm just curious as to the specifics of the file and the programs. Do I create with bleed space but still set document size to 6x9 letting the bleed space be "hidden" within the PDF, or do I actually submit a pdf that is 6.25" x 9.25" where the size of the document includes the bleed space. I'm not sure that there can be "hidden" content in a pdf file.

The reason I ask is that on a past project I have left a bleed space on a 8.5 X 11 file by submitting 8.75 X 11.25 and the "print shop" scaled my file down to 8.5 X 11 instead of using it as a bleed area and my whole bleed area was printed within the 8.5X11 area...

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Well then I think it depends on the print shop you're using. It would be best to ask them. Most print shops I know when they specify bleed dimensions expect the document to be sent will be to the size of the bleed dimensions. The fact that your place scaled down the document is unusual and specific to I guess how they run things. I'd give them a call or email.

CetiAlphaVI

Registered
Reaction score
Well then I think it depends on the print shop you're using. It would be best to ask them. Most print shops I know when they specify bleed dimensions expect the document to be sent will be to the size of the bleed dimensions. The fact that your place scaled down the document is unusual and specific to I guess how they run things. I'd give them a call or email.

I figured that was probably the case. I'll call and ask specifically for the place I'm using. I would assume that making the file the size it needs to be plus the bleed would be the standard.

Thanks both of you for the quick responses.

kevinwaynewilliams

Be blunt: I appreciate it
Registered
Reaction score
With CreateSpace and LightningSource, you submit at the bleed dimensions.

She_wulf

that's me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CaliaWilde.com
Prepare the document at 6x9, output the PDF with crop and bleed. I did this for a living (set up documents for print) for at least 5 years or more not to mention 2-3 years college dedicated to it.

Standard (American) bleed tolerance is usually 9 pts (.125"). If the bleed differs there may be press tolerance compensation, book cover wrap or other things that the posting agency should specify.

Status
Not open for further replies.