• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Birch Literary?

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

ambianc

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All, just wanted to see if anyone had any experience working with Cindy Bullard and Birch Literary? She has cautioned me that she is an independent agent, so I'm wondering how different it would be working with her. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Link: Birch Literary

Agent Cindy Bullard started Birch Literary about a year and a half ago. She is based out of Greensboro, NC. Her bio on the agency website states that she "has ten years of experience in working with editors, agents, and publishers, as an author, on the "other side," of the desk." There are no specifics. Curious, I looked her up on Amazon, where she has a single book listed (a 48-page guide to a middle-grade book by another author). Her bio on Amazon, though, shows a background in science and math education and reflects no trade publishing experience - so I'm not sure where those ten years of experience came from. Her LinkedIn bio has no work experience listed at all.

Her sales record at Publishers Marketplace shows a fair number of sales, all with the term "nice deal" attached. "Nice deal" means the book sold for an advance anywhere between $1 - $49,000. With one exception, all Ms. Bullard's sales have been to Level Best Books, a Maryland-based publisher which accepts both agented and non-agented submissions. (The other sale was to Chicken Scratch Books, which also takes agented and non-agented submissions and runs a writing school on the side.) A look at the Maryland Corporation Commission records shows that Level Best is owned by Dames of Detection, Inc., and that the corporation is NOT in good standing with the state. (A corporation can lose its good standing for any number of reasons; if you're interested in those how-comes, go to this link.)

An agent who sells to publishers that accept both agented and non-agented submissions isn't doing anything for you that you couldn't do for yourself. If an agent sells almost exclusively to a single publisher (particularly a small publisher), that's a giant red flag.

None of this research gives me warm fuzzies about Ms. Bullard's abilities as a literary agent. Were I you, I'd steer clear.

Last edited:

ambianc

Registered
Reaction score
Link: Birch Literary

Agent Cindy Bullard started Birch Literary about a year and a half ago. She is based out of Greensboro, NC. Her bio on the agency website states that she "has ten years of experience in working with editors, agents, and publishers, as an author, on the "other side," of the desk." There are no specifics. Curious, I looked her up on Amazon, where she has a single book listed (a 48-page guide to a middle-grade book by another author). Her bio on Amazon, though, shows a background in science and math education and reflects no trade publishing experience - so I'm not sure where those ten years of experience came from. Her LinkedIn bio has no work experience listed at all.

Her sales record at Publishers Marketplace shows a fair number of sales, all with the term "nice deal" attached. "Nice deal" means the book sold for an advance anywhere between $1 - $49,000. With one exception, all Ms. Bullard's sales have been to Level Best Books, a Maryland-based publisher which accepts both agented and non-agented submissions. (The other sale was to Chicken Scratch Books, which also takes agented and non-agented submissions and runs a writing school on the side.) A look at the Maryland Corporation Commission records shows that Level Best is owned by Dames of Detection, Inc., and that the corporation is NOT in good standing with the state. (A corporation can lose its good standing for any number of reasons; if you're interested in those how-comes, go to this link.)

An agent who sells to publishers that accept both agented and non-agented submissions isn't doing anything for you that you couldn't do for yourself. If an agent sells almost exclusively to a single publisher (particularly a small publisher), that's a giant red flag.

None of this research gives me warm fuzzies about Ms. Bullard's abilities as a literary agent. Were I you, I'd steer clear.
Thank you!! Thank you!!!! This was exactly what I needed! Will definitely be steering clear!

Reactions: mrsmig