BEWARE: Children's Literary Agency (WL Childrens Agency)

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
If you have had any dealings with the WL Childrens Agency...

(under any of its names, including but not limited to Writer's Literary Agency Group, Writer's Literary Agency, Writer's Literary & Publishing Services, New York Literary Agency, Writer's Literary Children's Agency, The Children's Literary Agency, Children's Book Publishing Agency, Writer's Literary Poet's Agency, Poet's Literary Agency, Poetry Book Publishing Agency, The Christian Literary Agency, Writer's Literary Screenplay Agency, Screenplay Writers' Agency, The Screenplay Agency, The Literary Agency Group, f/k/a Rapidpublishing-screenwriter911, Inc., Stylus Literary Agency, S T Literary Agency, Inc. , Writers Literary & Publishing Services Company, Writers' Book Publishing Agency, Strategic Publishing Group, Strategic Book Publishing, Strategic Book Marketing, AEG Publishing Group, My Editor Is A Saint, Author's Edge, Sydra-Techniques, Global Book Agency, and Eloquent Books)

...the Florida Attorney General wants to hear from you.

I have had ZERO dealings with them. However, I am confused by one entry I found on the web page for the Florida Attorney General. I realize this is just a very picky little question, but it's downright annoying me. Here's what it says on that web site:

Subject's business:Talent agency

As a screenwriter, I was told there are (for the most part) two kinds of agents in Hollywood: talent agencts and literary agents. Hollywood talent agents represent actors and directors. Hollywood literary agents represent screenwriters.

So then ... why is this agency being classified by the Florida Attorney General as a talent agency? Is this agency representing actors or directors (or even fashion models?).

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
They claim they're scouting for talent. Its a classification to avoid Florida's rules.

The guy who once managed The Backstreet Boys and NSYNC is behind bars because of a pyramid investment scheme in Florida. He's STILL running a new boyband because his "talent agency" was separate.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
They claim they're scouting for talent. Its a classification to avoid Florida's rules.

The guy who once managed The Backstreet Boys and NSYNC is behind bars because of a pyramid investment scheme in Florida. He's STILL running a new boyband because his "talent agency" was separate.

Ahh! The light dawns!!

suneel.sule

Registered
Reaction score
Yet another case, that's me

I went through this whole routine of raised hopes and subtle demands for money and then nothing. I am embarassed to say that I paid twice once for a critique and then for a full edit. Then I saw this blog and got wiser, otherwise I would have paid for a web page as well. I am thinking of responding to florida AG's call for reporting this as a fraud.

Suneel Sule

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, suneel, and welcome to AW!

I'm sorry that you went through all the pain associated with these SOBs, but I would definitely recommend that you report it to the Florida A-G, if only because it might help to prevent someone else going through the same horrible experience.

In the meantime, I hope you stick around this Forum and check out the other boards.

MM

Danni

Shoehorn.
Registered
Reaction score
Good grief

Just want to throw in a thank-you to all of you for sharing your research and experience with those blood-sucking fiends. I nearly fell victim to their dastardly plot, but luckily, I stumbled across your info instead.
Down with evil scammers!

Danni

Shoehorn.
Registered
Reaction score
WL Correspondence

Ha! So, when I found out how evil these folks are, I sent them an email, inquiring into whether or not they are legit. Here it is, and then their reply to me, and I hope this helps someone out there!

To Whom It May Concern:

First, let me tell you how utterly delighted I was to receive your email this morning asking to see my manuscript SHAPESHIFTER. For a new author, as you well know, there is no bigger ego boost. I promptly squealed and called my family.
And then I did a little more research on your agency. There is a blog out on the internet discussing your agency, and I must admit it made me nervous. One blogger insisted that she did some research that proved you were scammers (so sorry, I'm really not trying to insult you at all) who will basically take my money for editing or illustrations.
I must admit, I'm torn. On the one hand, you have listed on your website that you will only receive payment if you sell my book---hurray. That sounds right.
On the other hand, you tout the fact that you work with new authors who show promise, helping them to improve their manuscript, which sounds like editing to me, even though you insist this is not what you do.
So, I am hesitant to send my work to you, especially since you are not members of AAR, unless you can offer some evidence that you are, in fact, legit and not the evil, blood-sucking scum a researcher claims that you are.
Again, if you are legit, I do hope you understand my hesitancy and can reassure me of your honorable interest in my work.
Please feel free to email or call me.
Thank you so much for your time.

If you really want to 'research' as a good author should, start with the following questions to the people you are basing your opinions on:

1. When was the last Book Trade Show that you attended? How current is the data feeding your opinion? (We go to shows every year and we have the most current data in the industry. We will put our industry knowledge up against anyone. We just got back from the BookExpo in Los Angeles. Ask them if they attended. They didn't because they can't afford it, see next question).

2. Approximately how much money have you made as an author? (We know the answer to this one because we've done the research (it isn't very much).
Many of the authors we know and work with make more in one month, than these pundits have made their entire life. So, if you want to choose this kind of advisor, then please realize that you are choosing advisors that are a lot less successful than we are.

I think you get the point by now.. they aren't current, and they don't make money. We stay current, and we/and our clients, make a lot of money.

Now let's discuss "misleading" authors.
========================================
WHEN WE SAY WE WANT ONLY EDITED WORK, WE MEAN IT.
WHEN WE SAY YOU CAN CHOOSE ANY VENDOR YOU WANT, WE MEAN IT WHEN WE SAY THIS IS A TOUGH BUSINESS, WE MEAN IT

Anyway, there was more, but it was basically just the whole, "we don't take anything that's not edited by a third party thing". I found it very interesting that they didn't once try to defend their legitimacy, just ended up slinging mud at whoever badmouths them.

Last edited:

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it looks like they've finally built a new boiler-plate response.

I'm not going to do a line-by-line. We have other folks who are better at that. But I will say something about the BEA (Book Expo America). I've been to two, New York and Chicago. Children's Literary (WL, NYLA, ST Literary, et-naseum-cetera) weren't there either time.

The BEA isn't all that expensive. Air fare, hotel, and a couple hundred bucks for the expo itself. The BEA isn't extremely choosy. Anybody can get in. I know 6 AW members who have been to at least one. I'm sure there are more. Mostly, authors don't go because the BEA isn't for authors.

The purpose of the BEA is to connect book sellers (bookstores/chains) with publishers. So there will be agents and authors there, but mostly they're authors who already have a published book and they're there with the publisher. What's more, the staff from the publishers is their sales force, not their acquisitions people.

I'm not sure why this "agency" would even be there because agents don't sell to booksellers. And the publishers there certainly know that they're not a legitimate agency.

It's just more hype to convince uninformed authors they're legitimate. They aren't.

Last edited:

agent0fchaos

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I am SO SO SO glad I found this thread. I submitted my work to "WL Children's Agency" less than a week ago and they replied to me this morning with a very long, convoluted, impersonal e-mail that just gave me the willies. So I did a bit of fishing around and found this forum. You guys are life savers.

Since this is my first experience dealing with this situation I am kind of nervous about them having my work - will they just delete my info & submission once I reject their offer? (which I did - I just said "Thanks but no thanks.") I'm not trying to sound egotistical that my work is OH SO FANTABULOUS but I just want to protect it.

Thanks in advance.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Don't worry about them having the work. The whole scam is that they ask you for lots of money and don't actually do anything, like, you know, submit your novel to publishers. That would be work you see. So there is no risk that they will try anything with your stuff.

And welcome to AW!

agent0fchaos

Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry about them having the work. The whole scam is that they ask you for lots of money and don't actually do anything, like, you know, submit your novel to publishers. That would be work you see. So there is no risk that they will try anything with your stuff.

And welcome to AW!

Thank you :)

By the way - I called the Attorney General in FL using a link given way back in this thread and after talking to a few people the attorney that is handling this case is Teresa Bland Edwards and she would LOVE to hear from anyone who has even been in contact with these people - regardless if money was exchanged or not. I am helping her out in anyway I can. I have the number for the office you can reach her at in case anyone needs it. I don't know what the rules here are about posting phone numbers (it is a business, not a personal contact)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
As you are newly here, Agent, welcome. You might want to research threads in the Bewares forum. There's lots of stuff on these people, in their various incarnations (which change regularly). The main principle is, however: Never pay an "agent". Real agents make their money only when they sell a work to a publisher, at which time they get a contracted commission, commonly 15% of the deal.

caw

jmascia

Registered
Reaction score
Drop em! They are definitely not going to help you sell your work! They are likely going to ask you to pay for editing and then tell you that they can't sell your work. Don't bother. Keep submitting.

James Mascia
www.islandofdren.com

kat101

Registered
Reaction score
wlchildrensagency

Hi Everyone,
I just happened onto this site and I read all the comments...I too have been dealing with wlchildrensagency. I sent in the contract, and I was referred a "critique" by the agency. I haven't paid anything yet, but they are asking me to pay for a "critiquing" ($70 to $90)..I wish I came across this site a few days earlier!! now what do I do??

TnTexas

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I just happened onto this site and I read all the comments...I too have been dealing with wlchildrensagency. I sent in the contract, and I was referred a "critique" by the agency. I haven't paid anything yet, but they are asking me to pay for a "critiquing" ($70 to $90)..I wish I came across this site a few days earlier!! now what do I do??

If it were me, I'd simply send tell them thanks for the suggestion but no thanks. I'll continue searching on my own. Either that or I'd just ignore them.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
What you do is trash their letter, keep on looking for an agency, and meanwhile write your next book.

A real agency has sold books that are really on the shelves of real bookstores. That's where you go to find those agencies: Bookstores. Find books similar to yours, find out who represented them, and submit to those agencies (following their guidelines to the letter).

Harrison Senior

Registered
Reaction score
WL Childrens Agency

My experience is that if the agency requires their recommended reviewer to review your manuscript to determine if you know how to write: (1) there will be a fee up front, (2) you will receive a good report, and (3) there will be no more input from them for the next 6 months, if ever.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Welcome to AW novagem! :welcome:

Never ever pay to get published. Not even a little.

Rule number one for ALL writers is Yog's Law:

Money flows to the writer.

And the only place an author should sign a check is on the back, when they endorse it.

I can also add never be in a hurry to get published. That's how subsidy, vanity presses, and ripoff publishing mills like Publish America get rich.

Cancel your appointment with this subsidy crew. They only want as much money as you're willing to throw at them. You don't have to give an excuse, just cancel and walk away and keep your money!

If you should see them, flat out refuse to pay for publication. Let them know that you know publishers are supposed to pay the writers, not the other way around.

They may smile and be encouraging, but so is a lap dancer until you run out of cash.

Hang out at AW and the members here will be more than happy to help.

Here is a safe place to find a publisher: your local bookstore.

Find books similar to your own and look up the publishers to find their guidelines.

You will NOT find vanity or subsidy books there.

Bookmark this website:

http://anotherealm.com/prededitors/

It will warn you away from the sharks in the publishing pool.

my stories and illustrations are worth the gamble.
They aren't gambling. They know you're good for a few thousand if you believe their flattery. All they'll do is take your book to a printer, but it won't cost them that much and they keep the difference. You can do that yourself, but it's better to sell to a publisher.

Take your book to a real publishing house like Penguin Putnam, St. Martins, Random House--the ones that pay writers an advance, the ones who get books into stores and not just on Amazon.

If they think they can make money from your words they will pay YOU. That's how it works!

Maybe you know all this, but we do get a lot of people who believe that you have to pay to get published, and that's just not true. Subsidy and vanity presses perpetuate that pay to publish lie, hoping to get more business from people who don't do their research.

And finally, if you absolutely don't want to go through a legit, advance-paying publisher, we can help you find safer alternatives to any vanity press that will not put you out of pocket.

Please, keep posting so we know how things go for you!

Sue

Registered
Reaction score
Dud Agency

Thank you for your warnings about the Writers' Lit Agency. I just signed the contract yesterday
mad.gif
and was about to consider paying for the critique (despite feeling a bit sceptical), when my husband suggested I look for a forum discussing the Agency first... So glad I did. I will now be withdrawing from the contract before I spend any money.

I feel a bit stupid and let down (I have read many posts here from others in the same boat). I guess, like many, I was just so keen to see my writing in print that I wanted to believe it could be that easy. My question now to anyone who is in the same position (unpublished author with several manuscripts waiting to be published) is where to now? Is there a legitimate online agency out there??? CAN it be that easy?

Thank you too, Gillhoughly, I did just read your message above. And I checked out this site http://anotherealm.com/prededitors/. It says that new authors need not have an agent... The only reason I started heading down that road was because EVERY time I looked up a Publishing house that publishes books of the same genre, they say "no unsolicited manuscripts accepted".

I am getting frustrated, to say the least. I have a children's picture book (text only) that I am sure is a winner. What is my best option???

Please help
Sue

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I am getting frustrated, to say the least. I have a children's picture book (text only) that I am sure is a winner. What is my best option???

Please help
Sue

Google publishers of children's books (get the names from the books in the store) Some of them will accept unsolicited MS.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, our own Bewares and Background Check forum is a terrific place to look for agents and publishers. While many of the threads warn against scams like Children's Literary, a great deal more talk about legitimate agencies, who is accepting queries, how they've responded, and so forth.

For instance, this thread about Writer's House (a very legitmate agency) is a wealth of information about various agents there. Some represent children's writers and others don't.

Another source for publishers and agents, is Writers Market On-line (http://www.writersmarket.com/). You do have to be careful though, as Robert Fletcher is listed there in his many guises. But it's a good place to start. Before you submit to any market, check here and at P&E.

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
I just posted in the Writer's Beware thread on these guys that Robert Fletcher may be going by the name Robert Williams now. Robert Williams is listed as the CEO of AEG publishing, and as they are all the same crowd, I'm picking that's him.

I nearly got sucked in too. He got very ratty when I called him out over the appalling contract he sent me.

Mogiz

Registered
Reaction score
I got the exact same letter! When I asked if they were AAR members and why I had to pay for illustrators and editors I got a "Sorry, we've just filled our allocation for this quarter." Run, Emma!
Kimberly Young

Same here, next I looked CLA up on predators and editors web site. they are not recommended

SignedContract

Registered
Reaction score
I recently signed the contract and THEN Googled after the waiting period was up. How do I fire them?