• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta readers for Supernatural Mystery, 89k words <Minor Update; 7/23>

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I'm looking for feedback on my current novel. It's a paranormal mystery with horror elements. The version I'm looking for feedback on is 89k words. Here's my current query to give an idea what the book is about:

When Darina freed an ensnared silver-eyed raven, it granted her deepest wish: a body that matched her gender identity. Now, she’s a journalism student tackling her first big story. People are dying on Aprilla’s nature trail, their bodies covered in red snail carcasses. The experts don’t recognize the species but Dari does. And given where they come from, she fears it’s all her fault.

By interviewing locals, Dari learns all the victims suffered bigotry, abuse, or ongoing trauma. When her investigation triggers memories of her own abusive father, the town peels away like brittle wallpaper and she falls into another place. Buildings are replaced by fleshy trees covered in snails and a canvas of veiny skin overtakes the sky. In the town of Aprilla, with enough suffering, at the right places, you might cross over into the Old Kingdom. Dari has been here before. The day her father discovered she was trans and threatened to kill her.

On that day, Dari freed the silver-eyed raven and was rewarded. A dream come true… if not for the trauma survivors so similar to her, dying where she crossed over last time. Blaming herself, she delves into the Kingdom to uncover the cause — or the killer — and stop these deaths. She has a keen eye and tremendous empathy that might prove vital in a realm influenced by emotions. But she is utterly out of her depth, and while she focuses on her investigation, a certain raven’s eyes are focused on her.

Eyes of Silver (89,000 words) is a paranormal mystery with horror elements, about a journalism student who stirred something better left alone… and who vows to undo her mistake.

Here's a link to the first chapter, posted in SYW: Here!

Content warnings:

Mild violence and language (PG-13, I'd say), with references to abuse, bullying and bigotry. Very little of this is depicted on-page.

I'm mainly looking for "finishing touches"; any moments of awkward pacing within a scene, things that are confusing, awkwardly written, etc. I am hoping to polish this MS up and start querying in/before October.

Swaps:
I'm open to swapping, though I admit I am a very finicky reader. I prefer SF/F, but I'll consider most genres. That said, I'm not the best fit for historical, romance genre, or middle-grade.

Time-frame:
On my end, I finish most reads within two weeks, though I like to reserve a full month in case life gets in the way.

Last edited:

dickson

Hairy on the inside
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for beta readers on my current project, EYES OF SILVER, an adult urban fantasy horror story. I wrote it with a "Dresden Files meets Silent Hill" mood in mind. No other writers have read it yet, so I'm primarily looking for 'big picture' comments on story, structure, character arcs and such, though I'm interested in any other comments you may have. I'm also interested in exactly what genre this work comes off as. Mostly Urban Fantasy with a little Horror? Entirely UF? Entirely Horror? Etc.

Quick Blurb:
22-year-old journalism major Dari wasn't surprised to see her abysmal hometown trending because someone had found some bodies. She was surprised to learn they were found on the same nature trail where she encountered haunting supernatural sights that she has repressed for years. Fearing her fantastical encounter might somehow be involved -- that she might be responsible, in part, for these deaths -- she returns to the town that had never felt like home. Putting her inquisitive mind to work, she seeks to uncover the cause of these deaths and do her damnedest to prevent any more. But some things are universal, even when the supernatural is involved: Those with power do not appreciate when those without stick their noses where they don't belong.

As for content warnings, there is a little profanity and violence. The book touches on some very heavy themes; mentions of abuse, bullying, and mental health concerns plague several characters, though very little is directly depicted on the page. I posted the first chapter in the fiction workshop, so you can take a look and get an idea if this book is up your alley or not.

I am open to swapping. I prefer Sci-Fi and Fantasy, but I'm open to almost any genre (outside of Middle Grade, Historical, and genre Romance, though romantic subplots are fine). I am usually able to finish reads within a month.

If you're interested, post here or PM me. I prefer sending my MS as a windows docx file through email, though Google Docs is also fine.
I'm seeking a beta reader for my first-contact SF novel, and am willing to swap. I've been a beta-reader in the past, though not often. The blurb and the first chapter have snagged my interest; a good start.

My project, THE SIREN SINGS ONLY FOR ME, has benefited from critiques in AW Share Your Work, and has gone through several rounds of editing and revision as a result. A short blurb:

All Meg Craddock wants is to get her life back.

Following a psychotic break and treatment at St. Guinefort’s psychiatric hospital in Wales, she plans to return to university. One day, Meg hears a voice in her head. Unlike the ones she heard in hospital, this one does not spew venom; it does not hiss
Lezzer! or Dyke! Instead it warns her of an imminent invasion of the solar system. “Raid alarm!” the voice cries. This voice is not a hallucination-and she can prove it.

Disclosure: The MS is on the long side, 157,700 words.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reactions: Fiender

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
Giving this an update post as I have just finished some revisions, and I am looking for more readers! :)

Juggernaut

Registered
Reaction score
Giving this an update post as I have just finished some revisions, and I am looking for more readers! :)
Hi,

How many words is it?

I wrote a medical comedy around 65,000 words and looking to a 2nd round of beta-swapping.

Thanks,
Paul

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

How many words is it?

I wrote a medical comedy around 65,000 words and looking to a 2nd round of beta-swapping.

Thanks,
Paul
That would be good information to share with beta readers, wouldn't it? 😅
It's 91k words. Added that info to the title. Sorry for the delayed response. I've been busy with finishing this year's NaNo.

I read the blurb you posted in SYW some time ago, and if this is for the same project (Laughing Gas) I don't feel like I'm the right audience for it.

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
I am again looking for beta readers for this one! :D Hoping to apply some finishing touches before querying... sometime this year.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't commit now, due to prior beta commitments and stupid day job, but come July ish if you are still looking, pm me if you think I would be suitable and I will check my schedule.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Adding, if you plan to query in the next few months and need micro feedback on your first five pages, pm me.

Mutive

Blissfully Clueless
Registered
Reaction score
I'm willing to take a look at it. I will admit to not being the most mystery orientated writer, so if interested, take any advice I give on those elements of the plot with a grain of salt. :)

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
I'm updating this thread, since I've just finished another round of revisions.

My main concerns with this version of the novel are:
-How believable or understandable is the main character's motivation?
-Prior betas singled out some scenes they thought were unnecessary, which I've always kept because I disagreed. This version of the MS will have those scenes removed. I'm curious if it feels like anything is missing.

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
Finished a round of revisions, and am looking for more readers! :D (And I'm open for swaps)