• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta readers for Supernatural Mystery, 92k words, open to swapping!

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
Edit: Looking again as of 9/14!

I'm looking for beta readers on my current project, EYES OF SILVER, a Supernatural Mystery with horror elements horror story. I wrote it with a "Dresden Files meets Silent Hill" mood in mind. I'm primarily looking for 'big picture' comments on story, structure, and character arcs, though I'm interested in anything that comes to mind while reading.

Quick Blurb:
22-year-old journalism major Dari wasn't surprised to see her abysmal hometown trending because someone had found some bodies. She was surprised to learn they were found on the same nature trail where she encountered haunting supernatural sights that she has repressed for years. Fearing her fantastical encounter might somehow be involved -- that she might be responsible, in part, for these deaths -- she returns to the town that had never felt like home. Putting her inquisitive mind to work, she seeks to uncover the cause of these deaths and do her damnedest to prevent any more. But some things are universal, even when the supernatural is involved: Those with power do not appreciate when those without stick their noses where they don't belong.

As for content warnings, there is a little profanity and violence. The book touches on some very heavy themes; mentions of abuse, bullying, and mental health concerns plague several characters, though very little is directly depicted on the page. I posted the first chapter in SYW, so you can take a look and get an idea if this book is up your alley or not: Click Here!

I am open to swapping. I prefer Sci-Fi and Fantasy, but I'm open to almost any genre (outside of Middle Grade, Historical, and genre Romance, though romantic subplots are fine). I am usually able to finish reads within a month.

If you're interested, post here or PM me!

Last edited:

dickson

Hairy on the inside
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for beta readers on my current project, EYES OF SILVER, an adult urban fantasy horror story. I wrote it with a "Dresden Files meets Silent Hill" mood in mind. No other writers have read it yet, so I'm primarily looking for 'big picture' comments on story, structure, character arcs and such, though I'm interested in any other comments you may have. I'm also interested in exactly what genre this work comes off as. Mostly Urban Fantasy with a little Horror? Entirely UF? Entirely Horror? Etc.

Quick Blurb:
22-year-old journalism major Dari wasn't surprised to see her abysmal hometown trending because someone had found some bodies. She was surprised to learn they were found on the same nature trail where she encountered haunting supernatural sights that she has repressed for years. Fearing her fantastical encounter might somehow be involved -- that she might be responsible, in part, for these deaths -- she returns to the town that had never felt like home. Putting her inquisitive mind to work, she seeks to uncover the cause of these deaths and do her damnedest to prevent any more. But some things are universal, even when the supernatural is involved: Those with power do not appreciate when those without stick their noses where they don't belong.

As for content warnings, there is a little profanity and violence. The book touches on some very heavy themes; mentions of abuse, bullying, and mental health concerns plague several characters, though very little is directly depicted on the page. I posted the first chapter in the fiction workshop, so you can take a look and get an idea if this book is up your alley or not.

I am open to swapping. I prefer Sci-Fi and Fantasy, but I'm open to almost any genre (outside of Middle Grade, Historical, and genre Romance, though romantic subplots are fine). I am usually able to finish reads within a month.

If you're interested, post here or PM me. I prefer sending my MS as a windows docx file through email, though Google Docs is also fine.
I'm seeking a beta reader for my first-contact SF novel, and am willing to swap. I've been a beta-reader in the past, though not often. The blurb and the first chapter have snagged my interest; a good start.

My project, THE SIREN SINGS ONLY FOR ME, has benefited from critiques in AW Share Your Work, and has gone through several rounds of editing and revision as a result. A short blurb:

All Meg Craddock wants is to get her life back.

Following a psychotic break and treatment at St. Guinefort’s psychiatric hospital in Wales, she plans to return to university. One day, Meg hears a voice in her head. Unlike the ones she heard in hospital, this one does not spew venom; it does not hiss
Lezzer! or Dyke! Instead it warns her of an imminent invasion of the solar system. “Raid alarm!” the voice cries. This voice is not a hallucination-and she can prove it.

Disclosure: The MS is on the long side, 157,700 words.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reactions: Fiender

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
Giving this an update post as I have just finished some revisions, and I am looking for more readers! :)

Featured Book