• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Beautiful Trouble Publishing

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
So, do you think that it is better for newer writers, such as myself, try to establish with bigger publishers rather than ones just "coming out of the gate"?

Here's the way I see it.

New writer + established publisher = good sales possible/likely.
Established writer + new publisher = good sales possible/likely.
New writer + new publisher = ?

It's up to the writer to decide which equation he/she prefers.

Last edited:

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Well, I was looking through their "New Releases" and "Recent Releases: pages. It was kind of weird because they have the same books, all or most of which I think have been out for a while, on both pages. I know that they've had some more recent releases because the book covers they "preview" before you click the "New Releases" link are new. So, maybe it's just a matter of not updating the site?

They also look like they're going to have some kind of Author/Publisher/Reader Meet-And-Greet soon.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
I don't read erotica, but I find it very odd that a publisher of erotica should make the following stipulation:

While we prefer fidelity between partners we understand that our vision of marriage is not universal. Odds are that we will not accept a story where infidelity is present, however depending on how the story is presented, we may give it a chance not because our views about fidelity have changed, but because our perspective about love and redemption has been broadened.

https://beautifultroublepublishing.com/xcart/beautiful-trouble-novel-submissions.html

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
I think a lot of erotica publishers have that now, especially ones that specialize in erotic romance. Some publishers feel readers would feel cheated if one of the characters, especially the hero, cheated on the other character. So, I think that was all they were trying to say. I think Red Sage says something similar to that too.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, that explains it. I don't read romance either, which explains my ignorance.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
Truthfully, they are so far the only publisher/publishing house that I've really bought from. All of the books that I've gotten were by the same author. I know that when choosing a publisher it's advised that you should read some of their books before submitting to them. That was another reason I had been considering them.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
Well, recently I've been talking to some authors who are published with this publisher, more so out of curiosity than anything else. Well, so far, unless they aren't being honest, none of them are really complaining. From what I can see they really like this publisher, and I asked about sales, payments, and etc. One author I didn't get a chance to really ask. One said her sales were pretty good; she said it's up to the author to do promotion although the publisher may help out a little bit. Sometimes other authors help promote each others work.

The same author said she's paid on time and everything. So, that's good.

The only thing that I saw that is a bit of a red flag is the fact that they consider themselves a family or something similar rather than a just business. So, that might be something to watch for.

Other than that, the authors basically said they liked their experience with them. I have a few more I should probably contact though just to get a full idea of everything before I fully keep them in mind.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I don't read this genre, neither do I write it, but I looked at the website out of curiosity. (I often do this; I just like to know what's going on...)

Their list of what they want (by way of submissions) is basically a list of what-not-to-do. As a teacher, we call this a negative approach. Don't do this; don't do that; and you'd better not; and if you want to be star in our parade you'd better not...

Just a comment. Prob. means nothing.

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
One said her sales were pretty good; (stuff snipped on either end ~B)

It's always a plus when folks are nice to work with (hate the "family" references, though) but what really counts in the end is just how "good" those sales are and what that author is comparing it to.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
It's always a plus when folks are nice to work with (hate the "family" references, though) but what really counts in the end is just how "good" those sales are and what that author is comparing it to.

Yeah. It would helpful to have a percentage of their sales , but I really haven't been able to find anything of yet on them.

They do produce a lot of books in the genre I write though. I mean I know that isn't a complete excuse.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Has dropped site, etc.; self-pub only.