• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Bancroft Press

MartyKay

Sockpuppet Hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
martykay.blogspot.com
I came across this publisher on Lee Goldberg's blog, and searched the Bewares and Background Checks forum and found nothing. A search of all the forums found a recommendation from Victoria that it was okay, a small independent that didn't require an agent.

The comments made about this publisher are that Bancroft supplies, in addition to publishing, a paid editorial service, and that this was an ethical conflict of interest for a "traditional publisher". In addition, the CEO is apparently marketing himself as a book doctor, ghost writer, editor and a few other roles: http://www.book-editing.com/bancroftpress.htm

There are a few comments on Lee's blog (http://leegoldberg.typepad.com/a_writers_life/2005/05/more_on_bancrof.html and http://leegoldberg.typepad.com/a_writers_life/2005/05/bancroft_press_.html) as well as some emailed commentary from the CEO of Bancroft.

My question here is, has anyone had good or bad experiences with this Publisher?

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
To answer Jim's question (via a quick glance through Border's online inventory service):

The top ten Bancroft titles listed (not sorted) all showed up as "Order", meaning not in stock at the store (for two stores here in town).
Other interesting facts:
One of the titles was also released (by Bancroft) under a different title by the same author (the titles were similar enough for me to notice).
Some of the titles have been published in both hardcover and trade paperback all at or around the same time.
At least one title appears to be coming out soon in regular mass market paperback.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
P&E simply hasn't received any commentary, good or bad, concerning Bancroft, so we have no opinion on them as yet.

Well, this has now changed. Looks like P&E will be investigating.

Last edited:

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hope this is the right place for this.

I am wondering if anyone here has had any experience (good or bad) with them. I sent them a young adult novel about 6 months ago.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Well, they seem like a small legitimate press with a lot of recognition, endorsements and awards. I couldn't find any submission guidelines, since I thought that I would at least query them.

The owner of the press runs his own outside editing and critique service, which might be a conflict. Afterall, their staff can always recommend that you obtain a service, then go so far as to send you to the owner's firm.

Anybody know about their genre preferences and sub rules?

Tri

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
triceretops said:
Ah, strike that--I found the sub guidelines in a small homepage box. No email subs allowed, it looks like.

Tri

Just to clarify, I found Bancroft Press listed in the 2006 edition of Children's Writer's & Illustrator's Market. I just wondered if anyone else had any dealings with them.

I know they want middle readers and young adults since that's what it said in the listing in the book.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Misunderstandings, delusions, and publicity stunts are all-too-frequent reasons for allegations against any business. Not to say any of these are behind this particular case.

Dave, did you find anything not addressed by Bancroft? I see you now list them as Not Recommended.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
At the time, there was some unauthorized material on their site. It was removed, so P&E removed the negative recommendation.

Reluctant Artist

Registered
Reaction score
Submit entire manuscript??

Bancroft Press invites fiction writers to submit their entire manuscript when making their initial query. I have to say I'm hesitant to do this, and not only because it's a lot of paper.

Has anyone else done this? In my experience, it's unusual.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
<link snipped to avoid confusion>

There's already a thread on Bancroft. You might want to read it before you send anything anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reluctant Artist

Registered
Reaction score
Old Bancroft Posts

The posts on Bancroft are so old, the links no longer work. That's why I started a new thread. And I also thought my question would pertain to ANY request for an entire manuscript, not just Bancroft. I'd like to know if ANYONE has ever dared send an entire manuscript as a query.

Here among the years-old Bancroft posts, no one is finding my question.

ChristineR

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the Universi
The latest entry on their news page is from 2004, and their catalog is dated 2006.

I think sending the entire manuscript used to be more common in the days of typewriters. Many people had only one copy, and if you had a relationship with the publisher, you'd just send the whole thing rather than retyping the first 30 pages.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And I also thought my question would pertain to ANY request for an entire manuscript, not just Bancroft. I'd like to know if ANYONE has ever dared send an entire manuscript as a query.
For all publishers -- if the guidelines say "send entire ms" I send the whole thing. If they say "send the first 3 ch" I send the first three chapters. If they say "send a one page query letter" I send a one page query letter.

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
The posts on Bancroft are so old, the links no longer work. That's why I started a new thread. And I also thought my question would pertain to ANY request for an entire manuscript, not just Bancroft. I'd like to know if ANYONE has ever dared send an entire manuscript as a query.

Here among the years-old Bancroft posts, no one is finding my question.

If you send them more than they ask for (i.e. full manuscript other than 5 pages, 10 pages, 1st chapter, etc) they will dump it in the trash if snail mail or delete if email. Many/most websites for the agents will even tell you that. You risk alienation from the start if you don't follow the state guidelines.

Trust me, if they like you at all, they'll at least ask for a partial.....if not, it's not for them.

Best of luck.:)

misterkel

Registered
Reaction score
full MS for query

I also thought my question would pertain to ANY request for an entire manuscript, not just Bancroft. I'd like to know if ANYONE has ever dared send an entire manuscript as a query.

Yes - Daw's sub guidelines are to send in the entire MS for initial query in paper form.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread, but I was researching these guys tonight, and came up with this:

http://www2.citypaper.com/news/story.asp?id=3561

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/features/her-protagonist-writer-learns-go-her-own-way/

Don't know if they've cleaned up their act as far as royalties, but the fact that someone doesn't know who Josephine Baker and Paul Robeson were, and isn't too concerned about learning bothers me. As a historical fiction writer, famous personages of the past are my bread and butter.