• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.
  • U.S. members: The Federal Government is offering each household in the United States four (4) free at-home Covid-19 test kits. https://www.covidtests.gov/

Bancroft Press

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

elleberquist6

Registered
Reaction score
I was an intern at Bancroft Press

Hi, I just want to share what I know about Bancroft Press. About six months ago I was an intern at Bancroft Press.
First off, I know why the CEO asks authors to submit their whole mss. Bortz doesn't believe in rejecting a book on the first page, and whenever he gets the chance either he or one of his employees will read the whole book. As his intern, I told him after reading one chapter of a book that I wanted to reject it, but he asked me to keep reading to the end. Another good thing about this press is that they don't generally send out mass rejection letters, but personal messages with reasons.
Also, I saw there was some question about why the CEO has an editorial service on the side. All I can say is that he and I edited a book together. I have a high opinion of my editorial eye, but Bortz was positively anal about the project--he must have added or removed several dozen commas. Every author would be lucky to have this man edit his or her book.
I vouch for this company and CEO. This is a good publisher.
I'll come back and reply if you have any questions.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I'm finalizing my list of small presses that don't require agents (as I wait for query responses from agents) and this press looks acceptable to me. If anyone has any recent experience, I'd love to hear it.

https://bancroftpress.com/submissions/

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I find it a bit odd that we're four months into 2019 and this press has no new titles listed for the year. Then again, it only appears to publish 4-5 books per year.

C Alberts

Registered
Reaction score
I find it a bit odd that we're four months into 2019 and this press has no new titles listed for the year. Then again, it only appears to publish 4-5 books per year.

I just checked Ingram's database and Bancroft has 5 books listed for later this year (starting in September), and one listed already for early 2020. FWIW.

Elizabeth George's book Write Away