Balancing scene and exposition

alana

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alanasaltz.com
Hi everyone,

I just started serious work on a memoir project. I'm taking an intro memoir class that's helping me a lot. I have a theme and outline of events (I'm writing chronologically for the most part) but my biggest obstacle is balancing scene and exposition.

One of the problems I'm having is thinking of scenes that reflect what the section is about, because I can't always remember specific conversations or events that are relevant to the subject of the section. Another problem is that I find myself lapsing into summary and then have trouble transitioning into action. Any words of advice?

wax_and_wick

she sells seashells
Registered
Reaction score
Hum...

I was wondering the same thing, having difficulties of my own!

For my project, I've decided to make up what could have plausibly been the dialogue and details - no one expects the memory to be perfect, but it's more fun to read if it's fleshed out... and to explain necessary background (like why someone was gone when the reader would have every reason to assume they would have been there) with exposition.

I'm not sure I'm looking for publication with this project... I'm not sure how my solution would differ if I were.

jerrywaxler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jerrywaxler.com
Find scenes during your research, spelunking stage

Hi everyone,

One of the problems I'm having is thinking of scenes that reflect what the section is about, because I can't always remember specific conversations or events that are relevant to the subject of the section. Another problem is that I find myself lapsing into summary and then have trouble transitioning into action. Any words of advice?

Hi Alana,

Congrats on beginning serious work on the memoir. The way I teach the initial stage is to spend lots of time gathering scenes first. Even if the book is going to end up in chronological order, you don't have to remember the scenes in order. In your daily writing session, give yourself writing prompts, like "for each period what was my hair like," or "what did the front door of my house look like" or "what major illness or vacation or pet happened during the period." As you list them, you will think of scenes. Quite often, the scenes that jump to mind have some sort of power, or dramatic impact. Even if you don't see their power at first, file the scene in chronological order, so you will begin building up a "catalog" or "dictionary" of scenes, that you will then be able to weave together into the fabric of the actual book.

I hope this helps,
Jerry