Not open for further replies.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Hey, do you happen to have any soda options?
We have every soda you can imagine (and more). Here, try some combinations... *slides tray full of glasses and a large bottle down the counter* Now, those all may look empty but I'm sure you'll figure out how the bottle works soon enough :D
Also, I’m interested in these supposed monsters under the bed. Such a subtle mention of something so interesting 🤨
There's monsters under the bed? We have a bed?

Reactions: sonder_siri

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, pattycheese! Here, let me polish this glass first. Would you like ice?

Reactions: AW Admin

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
It seems like an Irish Coffee kind of a day, I think.
Well, I'm a terrible bartender, aren't I? Sorry Mac, Irish Coffee, with extra Irish, coming right up!
So...this is where the cool kids hang out? Can I sit at your lunch table and drink my chai?
I dunno if you'd call us cool, in the conventional sense, but yeah, this is definitely where all the cool kids hang out! Because we are totally, obviously, the cool kids :D

And chai away. But don't shy away. *throws some finger guns at you along with a really poor attempt at a wink* And that's how the cool kids do!

• Haha
Reactions: J.A.Nielsen

J.A.Nielsen

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm a terrible bartender, aren't I? Sorry Mac, Irish Coffee, with extra Irish, coming right up!

I dunno if you'd call us cool, in the conventional sense, but yeah, this is definitely where all the cool kids hang out! Because we are totally, obviously, the cool kids :D

And chai away. But don't shy away. *throws some finger guns at you along with a really poor attempt at a wink* And that's how the cool kids do!
Nice.

And thanks--sitting at the cool kids' table! So exciting!

Pens&Swords

Registered
Reaction score
Best bar I've been to. There's only one drink for me: Dr. Pepper.

Nice to meet some fellow writers and get new resources. I write primarily YA, with still-under-but-getting-precariously-closer-to a year of querying (you know the recipe). I've always got questions and answers if you want them (unless it's about APA format, then I'm OUT.)

Happy to know you. Our Pens are our Swords at this pub, and I like it.

Reactions: Izz

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome, Pens&Swords! A giant Dr. Pepper coming up (seasoned with actual pepper, of course, because of course).

You'll love the forums, I'm sure. There's tons of information here regarding all things writing and publishing, and a lot of cool writerly folks to hang out with. Just as a note, please read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered, as well as the stickied/pinned threads at the top of each forum page, as these will quickly get you up to speed on forum rules, culture, and etiquette.

Take your time exploring, too. There's a lot to discover but it can be easy to get lost at first. Any questions about where to find stuff, just fire away! :)

Reactions: Pens&Swords

caesar65

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Pub, and to the watercooler. I've never heard of decaf diet cola, but I'm sure we have it. Will you want some ice in the glass, too?

And, am I the only one who loves crème eggs?
I will have a pint of Old Toby's lemonade and a double shot of raspberry juice as a chaser please
I will help out eating the creme eggs, just to be sociable

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice.

And thanks--sitting at the cool kids' table! So exciting!
I'm not stalking Jen - I just followed her in here because she was wanting to talk about ponies ...

ETA: Also I will have a sangria, thank you. And here is a photo of my puppy that I think you will like.

<

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I will have a pint of Old Toby's lemonade and a double shot of raspberry juice as a chaser please
Zippity dooda, zippity zay - and here's your lemonade and raspberry juice. Though I seem to have put everything in the one glass. My bad! (I think I was too hung up on whether it's spelled zippity or zippitty)
I will help out eating the creme eggs, just to be sociable
Just to be sociable? Sure, I get it. Don't worry, your secret's safe with me :tongue
I'm not stalking Jen - I just followed her in here because she was wanting to talk about ponies ...

ETA: Also I will have a sangria, thank you. And here is a photo of my puppy that I think you will like.

<
Yes, it's a very nice puppy. Though don't think I didn't see you sneaking those sliders into your pocket while I was looking at the photo. The sliders are free, by the way, so go ahead and fill those pockets! I don't even know where they come from. Every day when I get here the fridge is full and all I have to do is heat 'em. And never the same ones two days in a row. The Mystery of the Recurring Sliders is what I secretly call it...

RunForPresentense

Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks, refreshed old newbie here, just figuring things out again. I have some silly probably basic questions that might be appropriate here?

Things like: best pracrtice formatting for crits, when to @usernames, the subtler mores of critting, if it should be so daunting to crit a very established member, is it weird to signal on social-type threads that you’ve just posted something for crit?

I may have missed some stickies here and there on these points when I skimmed around—feel
free to redirect me there :D

Any guidance sincerely appreciated—and a virtual round is on me?

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Hi folks, refreshed old newbie here, just figuring things out again. I have some silly probably basic questions that might be appropriate here?

Things like: best pracrtice formatting for crits, when to @usernames, the subtler mores of critting, if it should be so daunting to crit a very established member, is it weird to signal on social-type threads that you’ve just posted something for crit?

I may have missed some stickies here and there on these points when I skimmed around—feel
free to redirect me there :D

Any guidance sincerely appreciated—and a virtual round is on me?
Howdy, RunForPresentense, and welcome back :)

Have you checked out the stickies in the Intro to Share Your Work room? There's even a thread in there where you can post that you've got something up for crit.

As far as formatting goes, bear in mind that there is a character limit per post with this software, and things like colored fonts, etc, very quickly ramp up the amount of characters in your post due to background coding. My suggestion would be to check out existing crits and see how they are formatted and apply from there :)

DigitalScript

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.quiet.ly
A coffee, please.

I have not roleplayed-by-post in quite some time. From 2004 to 2016 it was my primary method for playing D&D over on rpgcrossing. But now that I actually write things, it's fallen by the way-side. Still, there's is something satisfying about a little imagination-play here and there.

*Takes a sip of his drink.*

Black gold.

MountainLark

Seeking a song, finding a voice
Registered
Reaction score
*bellies up to the bar and orders a Bundaberg ginger beer.*

"Nice place you got here." :)

Like DigitalScript, it's been ages for this sort of posting -- reminds me of when I first discovered Telnet MUDS or "Talkers" in the early 90s. Heh.

I have to say, this is a great forum, but the sheer SIZE of the thing is overwhelming! I'd eventually like to start posting some of my writing, but don't know where to post it in the areas that aren't picked up by Google bots. (I.e. Flash fiction and poetry sections seem open to crawling -- is this correct?)

"Thanks."

*lets the bubbles tickle the nose.*

Reactions: RunForPresentense

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
*bellies up to the bar and orders a Bundaberg ginger beer.*
Bundaberg, eh? You are a person of class and taste, I see!
I have to say, this is a great forum, but the sheer SIZE of the thing is overwhelming! I'd eventually like to start posting some of my writing, but don't know where to post it in the areas that aren't picked up by Google bots. (I.e. Flash fiction and poetry sections seem open to crawling -- is this correct?)
Yep, the forums are definitely overwhelming at first. There's just so much to take in!

Regarding posting your writing, search engines/bots shouldn't be able to access any of the sub-forums in Share Your Work. The same should apply for Poetry Critique, and Flash Fiction Polished & Ready. Before posting in any of those rooms please read the room stickies, as well as the stickied/pinned threads in Intro to Share Your Work :)

Kuranes

Registered
Reaction score
*Walks in. Hangs up winter coat, hat, gloves, goggles, second coat, scarf, earmuffs, second hat, winter pants, and thermal vest.*

Whew! Cold out today.

*Grabs an extra-hot coffee and a danish, then retreats to his gold table. Opens his newspaper.*

*Waves to all the newcomers in-between sips.*

Like DigitalScript, it's been ages for this sort of posting -- reminds me of when I first discovered Telnet MUDS or "Talkers" in the early 90s. Heh.
Ah yes. The Internet of old, when computers called each other up on the phone. I call it the Beep-Boop-Hiss era. :p

Reactions: silverlorelei

MountainLark

Seeking a song, finding a voice
Registered
Reaction score
*waves back*

Sounds like Brrrrsville for sure, Kuanes. Stay warm!

Izz wrote:

Regarding posting your writing, search engines/bots shouldn't be able to access any of the sub-forums in Share Your Work. The same should apply for Poetry Critique, and Flash Fiction Polished & Ready.

I think the Poetry Critique is safe, but not the Polished & Ready under Flash Fiction. (I just checked after signing out). Could someone please confirm this? Thanks. :)

*Orders some Whittaker's Dark Ghana and a handful of chocolate fish to go with the Bundeberg. Sugar overload!*

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, aspiring_writing! What planet do you hail from, and what do you write?

Status
Not open for further replies.