AW Poetry Contest "Space" Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
An entry to the AW Horror Poetry Contest.

I see you are already preparing.

Seriously. That could be the germ of an excellent horror poem, as I think of it.

When I have insomnia, it often seems like the night is standing still. I'm usually pretty much all right for most of the night (you get used to insomnia), but there's sometimes a horrible hour in there for me, and it usually hits between 3:30 and 4:30 -- too late to get any real sleep, and too early to get up (though I often do). The clock thing hit in the midst of it. It really did feel surreal and nightmarish.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
There's that old synchronicity/associative/magical thinking again from where there is no wellspring for some -- still there's a poem in there somewhere, right? ;) classic, methinks the lady protests too much... just saying ;).

But it's not Christian or religious. I do not feel God or Jesus or Buddha, nor do I feel spirituality or magic. I just feel surreal because it is so very odd it happened while I was looking at it.

Perhaps we're talking apples and oranges, but there's nothing in it that makes me think I could write a poem that would fit the parameters of a religious-themed contest. (Perhaps someone else could.)

It's about as religious for me as pigeon droppings falling square on my freshly-washed hair as I'm heading out for the evening.

ETA:

You see god or magic, perhaps. I see fuck, now I have to buy a new alarm clock, and man, that's weird that it happened just as I was staring at it. It's not so weird the thing died -- it's far outlived its warranty, I'm sure. It's just an odd coincidence it happened as I watched.

ETA:

Any horror poem I would write would be unlikely to focus on ghosts or vampires as actual entities, and much more likely to dwell on the monsters lurking in my own mind. This incident could fit in nicely with that.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
will the chocolaty marshmallows function as metaphors?

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
This is reminding me (Kie's point, not William's) of a conversation I've had a dozen times with my mother this past month. As many of you know, my father died about a month ago. I've been having regular dreams (when I sleep, heh) and sometimes nightmares, about my father. So is my mother. She is quite religious, and insists my father is coming from beyond to give her messages. Whereas I just think I miss the hell out of my father, and am still reeling from his death.

Still, when I told her I was dreaming about Dad, too, she insisted that I too am having visions, and this proved I must be religious and spiritual after all.

Last edited:

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Cass, I was teasing. My original point was not religion explicitly, but the thought stem where such thinking and integrated belief systems dwell, whatever those might be. My take is purely from a psychological, primitive human stance, not philosophical or theological.

I also dabble with surrealism for the same purpose, the same is true and identifiable cross-field when exploring what generates creativity... or at least for me it is. Maybe that just my formative years of mental health issues and designer recreation (*) self medication bending my world view as I continue to struggle with the divide between fancy and reality, and where that actually resides. I'm in no way saying it has to be true for all, though I do see a commonality in most.

*editted to preserve some privacy or the self notion of such at the very least :)

Last edited:

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Cass, I was teasing. . . . I continue to struggle with the divide between fancy and reality, and where that actually resides. I'm in no way saying it has to be true for all, though I do see a commonality in most.

FYI - I just moved the goal posts, and I feel fine! I hope my actions don't end up crushing your butterfly kisses or cause a sink hole - I found a lever and I pushed on it, that's all.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
FYI - I just moved the goal posts, and I feel fine! I hope my actions don't end up crushing your butterfly kisses or cause a sink hole - I found a lever and I pushed on it, that's all.

Maybe it's me, but I see a lot of euphemisms there.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*Sets my alarm for 4:22 so I don't forget to make more Baklava* :poke:

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
As long as the goal post are closer, rather than further apart, there shouldn't be an issue. I hate it when scoring is too easy...

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
As long as the goal posts are closer, rather than further apart, there shouldn't be an issue. I hate it when scoring is too easy...

Clearly, you don't know who's messing with your goal posts. . . the northern posts are closer but the southern ones are now further apart, about a 19° angle, I guess. It works for me, Thank You!

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Call me old-fashioned, but I believe it is best to know any person messing with your goal posts.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Um, if the goal posts are further apart, that makes scoring easier. If they're closer together the target is smaller so the score is easier to miss.

Or is that some other game?

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Are we or are we not talking about a sexual act?

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Um, if the goal posts are further apart, that makes scoring easier. If they're closer together the target is smaller so the score is easier to miss.

. .

Yes! Advantage (finally, thank god, for once) Team Mags!!!

Are we or are we not talking about a sexual act?

Whaddya have in mind? Pm me!

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
I'm flexible. Why not float a few ideas out there? This is, after all, a boating contest.
I'm sure any suggestions I make regarding lifesavers or anything to do with going below deck will be misconstrued.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And there seem to be a few leaks. Who will bail?

- - - Updated - - -

I always knew I should have paid attention in poetry class. :popcorn:

See? What did I say about leaks?

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I'm sure any suggestions I make regarding lifesavers or anything to do with going below deck will be misconstrued.

Mainsail, mast, boom, cockpit, rudder, sea cock...I'm ready any time you are.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did we run aground?

Status
Not open for further replies.