Registered
Reaction score
He's always got an angle.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really enjoying spending time with these poems. I've read through them enough times that I've penetrated the surface glow, which was a delicious one. Now I am beginning to appreciate the structural niceties and the distinct voices.

Rob, do you think maybe a forums-wide announcement banner thing with a link to the poems, and also including a link to the timetable of reading and voting, might be a good idea?

Or would it just make us invisible after being up there so long, eyes glaze over and skim past...?

Last edited:

thehairymob

If I had a brain I'd still be dumb
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.billyyoungsbooks.co.uk
I'll read them once
then read them twice
and the best
I'll read thrice
just to be sure
I vote
for the greatest
from such wonder.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I found my favourite before I'd even read all of them. With me and poetry it's a love-at-first-sight kind of thing.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
I found my favourite before I'd even read all of them. With me and poetry it's a love-at-first-sight kind of thing.
Absolutely. Poetry either kicks you in the pants or it doesn't. I've narrowed my list down to 8, all of which I love for very different reasons. Now, the stewing begins!

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I've zeroed in a couple of them also.

One in particular really struck me. It's more a gut thing than a study thing for me, but I'll still have to worry about numbers 2 and 3.

zarada

not afraid to leap
Registered
Reaction score
Instructions for voting:

Print out the poems.

After printing them out, fold each into a tiny origami figure of one of the U.S. Presidents. Do not duplicate your Presidents, but use a different one for each poem.

Then, place each President carefully, so as not to muss his hair, in an empty and thoroughly washed SPAM can, of which 26 have been provided by mysterious forces.

Each can is sealed with a melted wax blend made of ancient Crayolas and Turtle Wax. This you should have on hand.

Blindfolded, you must take each can up, hold it aloft, and hurl it out a window to the ground. Though there will not be 26 windows available in most dwellings, you must rotate through all available windows, until each can is hurled.

hah. why didn't i think of that? seems easy enough! (fighting urge to insert snickering smiley).

well, i had a first read of all in one session; the aim was simply to 'meet' them; no judgement, no conclusions. plan to let that first read braise in its own juices for another day or so, after which i shall proceed to the second, slower, more inquisitive lecture. with a glass of red nearby. maybe two.

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hah. why didn't i think of that? seems easy enough! (fighting urge to insert snickering smiley).

Don't forget you have to sacrifice Haskins when you're done.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
No fair. I wasn't done playing with him.

zarada

not afraid to leap
Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget you have to sacrifice Haskins when you're done.

sacrifice? right off? that's no fun. how 'bout a penance, something not involving the writing side of his body (bet he's a lefty, huh?) -- we still need his input.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
at the risk of interrupting various murder fantasies involving me, here's what seems like a fairly legit question: given that the poems are posted behind the password-protected wall, to what degree may we discuss them without causing distress to poets who may not want portions of their work out here for open public consumption? any serious discussion, i would think, requires quoting lines, if not whole chunks, of the poem being discussed.

what should the protocol be?

and i am right-handed. except for stabbing.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I'd wondered that. My own inclination was not to discuss any of the individual poems in an open thread, but more the contest generally, the process of judging, and such like.

ETA:

Besides how the poets might feel, I'm not sure (in a contest) that I want to sway anyone with my own insights about the poems.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
oh, good. can I come with you?

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
even better. what shall I pack?

zarada

not afraid to leap
Registered
Reaction score
I'd wondered that. My own inclination was not to discuss any of the individual poems in an open thread, but more the contest generally, the process of judging, and such like.

ETA:

Besides how the poets might feel, I'm not sure (in a contest) that I want to sway anyone with my own insights about the poems.

but not discussing them except in general is just not fun at all (pout), is it? after all, what is more valuable -- winning a contest, or... learning something new about your writing? besides, i doubt that serious critiquers could be swayed by others' opinions. right?

hm... how about a poll -- who is for, who is against (i love polls). i think William should do the poll.

Status
Not open for further replies.