Aussie Politics

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Albedo

Cultured vulture
Registered
Reaction score
Ah! You have some form of ranked preferencing ie 'Don't 'waste' your vote?' 'They' keep trying to foist that off on us, in British Columbia at least, with, I suspect, plans for the rest of the nation.
Your experiences are exactly what I suspect the main failure of the plan is: it's hard enough to find one person/party that you'd want to lead the country, let alone a second choice.
Some people vote for the person, some for the party, but I've never heard of anyone facing the problem of several names they'd like for Big Jobs.
Yep! Australia's the most enthusiastic user of preferential voting worldwide, using it for just about all national, state and local elections (the senate and state upper houses mostly use STV, which is a hybrid of proportional representation and preferential voting). It's got its good points and bad points, honestly. Good: theoretically it elects the least-hated candidate every time. Bad: having to rank all the awful candidates rather than just not vote for them at all. Also, it's supposedly too difficult for some people, leading to the 'informal' (i.e. invalid) vote being something like 5%.

Introduce preferential voting at your peril, foreigners! Australians are used to it, but we're a pretty *special* bunch. There are many less aggravatingly insane electoral systems to be found.

mccardey

wear a mask
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not Aussie politics, but the PLR payments are on their way. Make sure your details are up to date.
I just got my notification, and guess what guys! My PLR/ELR is going to cover the plumbing and the excavating and re-concreting AND I'll have $11 over :) I am SO relieved!

I'll be smiling all day. Smiling and writing, writing and smiling.

mccardey

wear a mask
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mine's not quite so big, but it'll cover the utilities for a month.

Note to self: must write more books.
If Utilities includes the water that Council plans to charge me for because of the leak under my house that came because of the flooding that pooled under my house because they still haven't put a storm water easement on our side of the street, then I'm still midway up shit creek. But I'm not going to pay that particular utility so they can just kiss me all over my not-insignificant butt.

Reactions: Helix

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I'm ready to push our council into a room full of garden rakes, but one thing they are very good at -- well, the only thing -- is getting money from the state and feds for all sorts of public works. Not sure if that's because state and feds want to court Katter or they are just gullible. Or, indeed, both.

• Haha
Reactions: Unimportant

mccardey

wear a mask
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm ready to push our council into a room full of garden rakes, but one thing they are very good at -- well, the only thing -- is getting money from the state and feds for all sorts of public works. Not sure if that's because state and feds want to court Katter or they are just gullible. Or, indeed, both.
Ours is under administration for having been blatantly useless for many decades. You should see our potholes after the recent storms! On that road up to Berrima, you have to actually drive off the road to avoid them.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Oh no!!

Might I recommend bingeing TV shows? Anything's better than doomscrolling for the next week (she says as she compulsively doomscrolls).

Reactions: Albedo

mccardey

wear a mask
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't get any payments from the government. :( I did, however, get COVID, so now I have literally nothing to do in the last week of the campaign except isolate at home and doomscroll. Great. So much for my plan to pretend it all isn't happening.
Awwww... no :(

Albedo

Cultured vulture
Registered
Reaction score
Dunno, I had a mild cold last weekend which had resolved (and tested negative 4 times), then was fine until Wed night when my legs started feeling like I'd run a marathon. Since then I've just had standard cold symptoms. Maybe I got democracy covid. More likely got it at work. I'm honestly surprised I'm just getting it now after 2 1/2 years, despite being a front line health worker for all of that.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
When do they stop political advertising on tv? I might have asked this before, but perhaps I've wiped it from my memory because I didn't like the answer.

ETA: Should have probably looked it up first.

Thursday. We've still got days of this inane shit to go.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Have we seen the latest news about Deves?
We have. She seems like a lovely person, doesn't she?

I'm sitting here watching The Drum (I'm a glutton for punishment) and suddenly feeling physically ill at the thought of the LNP getting back in. It's hitting in waves this week -- a sinking, gut-wrenching fear.

@Albedo, how're you feeling?

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I'm contemplating watching Antony but listening to Raf Epstein on the radio. But there will definitely be wine involved.

Eta: and I'll also definitely be here as things unfold, too

Albedo

Cultured vulture
Registered
Reaction score
We have. She seems like a lovely person, doesn't she?

I'm sitting here watching The Drum (I'm a glutton for punishment) and suddenly feeling physically ill at the thought of the LNP getting back in. It's hitting in waves this week -- a sinking, gut-wrenching fear.

@Albedo, how're you feeling?
Much better! I lost my sense of smell for a few days, but it seems mostly back now. Just in time for the election lmao

By deves news, you mean that she was apparently a fan of k*wif*rms?

Reactions: Helix and be frank

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Much better! I lost my sense of smell for a few days, but it seems mostly back now. Just in time for the election lmao

As long as you can enjoy the spectacle!

By deves news, you mean that she was apparently a fan of k*wif*rms?

That's it.

mccardey

wear a mask
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anyway, you know how I'm dealing with flood and mud and everything's broken or mouldy, I just remembered - the other day I was driving home from the Co-Op and I saw two Boomers in bright yellow Clive Palmer teeshirts and they were walking back to town along Bong Bong Road and they were on the side you don't walk on because it's all just wombat holes and crap (Bong Bong Rd isn't kerbed, but it is our main street, and we dare you to bitch about it) and it had been raining forever and everything was just slippery as fuck and while I was decoding their stupid tee-shirts one of them fell over in the mud and knocked the other one down the little slope and right out of sight. Like one of those ten-pin-bowling things.

I wished all of you had been there, but especially @Helix because Helix - you would have loved it.

I don't even think we have a Clive Palmer running, but I swear to god there they were in his tee-shirt. Bright yellow with a slogan that says Don't Trust Them.

It made my muddy day, it really did.

I forgot to tell you, though. So there you go.

Last edited:

mccardey

wear a mask
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also - I am invited to both the Labour and the Greens local election night parties, because I'm an equal-opportunity suck-up when it comes to signing on for polling day - but I'd rather just sit here with you lot and Antony Green, so that's what I'll do.

Matilda, of course, will be with me.

We will need pizza. I'll do the first run.

Last edited:

Albedo

Cultured vulture
Registered
Reaction score
Wheeeeeeee, I got the unhinged WHO conspiracy text from u know who! And paid for with taxpayer dollars and all legal! Absolute failed state shit.

• Sad

mccardey

wear a mask
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wheeeeeeee, I got the unhinged WHO conspiracy text from u know who! And paid for with taxpayer dollars and all legal! Absolute failed state shit.
When you think of all the science that went into creating the text-machine. Makes me want to barf that this is what it's used for now.

Elizabeth George's book Write Away