• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Audio books] New Fixtion / NewFiction.com

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
I came across this site today, did some googling, and see that they are advertising all over the place for writers.

According to their website (www.newfiction.com), New Fiction is "is a free publishing service that offers a variety of books, stories and novels on the web. They claim they provide "a distribution platform that enables unpublished authors and writers to make their stories available via the Internet, cell phone networks, IPODs and other electronic devices in order to develop a large audience."

In other words, yet another display site with a thin veneer of "look! free fiction!"

Oddly enough (or maybe not), they give no concrete information for authors on the site itself. To submit, you need to sign a waiver form, but again, the waiver form tells you nothing about what rights they want or anything else.

How long before they put up a price list, I wonder.

(ETA: And here is a very revealing discussion about New Fiction, complete with passionate posts from those associated with the business.)

Last edited:

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
I've just been reading that lulu thread. Ron Miller's posts are making me very happy. It's almost like seeing Uncle Jim in action.
-Barbara

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
brianm said:
Very revealing. Apparently, one of them concentrates on scripts and that is the reason for the waiver form. I wonder how long it will be before they pop in here?

They seem to be keeping a lower profile after the lulu fiasco.

I've just been reading that lulu thread. Ron Miller's posts are making me very happy. It's almost like seeing Uncle Jim in action.

I agree. (Hmmmm. I wonder if they both have ponytails.)

Unfortunately, the NF guys were too proud to listen. Their website still doesn't explain anything about their plans for the fiction they accept. To know that, you have to request both their waiver form and their "author presentation" document.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I just saw an ad from them on Craigslist. I contacted them, but I came here to check before I sent them anything. Glad I did.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. Looks like they're strictly audio now. Anyone brave enough at a location safe to listen to a few samples?

GhostAuthor

She who should be writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinabarber.net
Hmm. Looks like they're strictly audio now. Anyone brave enough at a location safe to listen to a few samples?

Okay, I listened. . . I'm no worse for the wear. :)

The style is not the typical unabridged audio book, but rather more like a dramatization. The stories to choose from (all labeled 'Must be 18 or older' to listen) are very similar in style - blood, violence, sex - it seems it is the entire theme of their site (or at least appears that way because of the free samples). The stories I listened to where just 'eh', nothing ground breaking or very well written fiction.

The actual recording wasn't terrible, and was at least on par with what I've heard from other places. The voices were smooth and read the books well.

Last edited: