• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

atmosphere press

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

bauman

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody ever heard of Atmosphere Press? It's a hybrid publisher of sorts. I'm a book editor and one of my author clients received an invitation to publish with them. Said it would cost her about $5,000, but it isn't clear exactly what she would get for that. Thanks for any feedback about this company. It was started in 2015.

Maryn

Fully Autumnal
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If it's going to cost your client $5,000, we can safely assume it's a vanity press and to be avoided.

We don't have this one listed at Bewares, Recommendatios, & Background Check, where our members share information about various publishing businesses. Here's their website: https://atmospherepress.com/

I'm pleased to see an editor looking out for their author client, and I really wish you could impress upon them that they need to do their due diligence with any potential publisher. It should have sent a red flag waving that Atmosphere Press contacted your author client rather than the other way around.

Maryn, glad to meet you

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Good publishers pay you. Readers are the customer, so they are encouraged to make sales. Bad publishers ask you to pay. You are the customer, so why would they ever be encouraged to sell your book when they've already been paid? Tell her to walk away and never look back.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I've been beating this drum, but in my opinion, there are hybrid authors (trade and self-published), but there's no such thing as hybrid publisher. As soon as they ask the author to pay for anything, they've moved into vanity publishing.

Now, honestly, vanity publishing has its place for specific* projects, esp. for people who don't want to deal with all the work that goes into self-publishing. But, to offer it as an option to an unsuspecting author (also promoted at co-op publishing) is deceptive at best.

* for example, a church congregation putting together a cookbook to sell at a town event; a family history only going to be shared among family members; basically one-time or sporadic events.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Quoting from the website:

Does Atmosphere Press publish anything that comes to its door?[FONT=&quot]No! We are not a vanity press, and so we have no interest in publishing unexceptional books. The way we see it, we owe it to our current roster of excellent writers to not sully the press’ name by publishing subpar work. We’ll offer consultation and advice to anyone who has a project he/she wants to see the light of publication, but, at the end of the day, we only publish the best.
[/FONT]
And virtually in the same breath:

[FONT=&quot]We strive to have incredibly low overhead, which keeps our costs down, and we pass that savings onto you. That’s why you can get everything from hours of editorial coaching and consultation, interior and cover design, ISBN assignment, international distribution through a recognized major league distributor, and advice on marketing and publicity, all for $5000 or less. Compare this to vanity/self-publishing venues, who sometimes charge an absolutely brutal near-$10000 for the same services. Atmosphere Press will never nickel-and-dime its authors, and any book that sells more than 500 copies will start making its author a substantial profit.
[/FONT]

Yep. Sell more than 500 copies and you'll "start" making a substantial profit. Until then, you're out $5k.

No matter what Atmosphere says, when they charge you to publish your book, they're a vanity press - pure and simple.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And, from their website:
[FONT=&quot]Whether you’ve written a novel, a collection of short stories, a book of poetry, or a scientific manifesto, [/FONT]
So, no matter what they say, they'll take anything.

Also, as for what your client will get for their money? Purposely vague, but "connect you with an editor" and "hook you up with a cover designer" suggest that 'atmosphere' may introduce you to them, but making arrangements are on the author.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
How many books will sell more than 500 copies? I'd guess somewhere in the region of none. And what do they mean by "international distribution through a recognised major league distributor"?

Happy Thanksgiving

Autumn image for Thanksgiving