At Eastwood Public - 393 words

chimneyswift

Registered
Reaction score
The Granny Smith Festival is on today. It's just down the road from where I live. I went there earlier this morning. I love the Granny Smith Festival. There will be fireworks later tonight. Will I go? I'm not sure yet.

Today however, I got bored and I left. The festival is different for an adult than it is for a kid and I am at an age where the festival doesn't really have anything to offer me. Too young to just sit around and watch kids on stage, too old to be throwing stinkbombs into the crowd. I went there for the memories. There are stalls everywhere and rides for kids, as well as bad music performed members of the community (mostly kids). Eighty thousand people show up every year.

On Rowe street there is the Eastwood Public school. It's changed a lot since I went there when I was a kid. There are stalls everywhere and adults mulling around. We used to have water fights on the school grounds whenever the Granny Smith was on but it doesn't seem to be happening anymore. Too many adults. The grounds are green, not grass, just green and there are covered areas where there used to be just black asphalt. There are these tall fences, probably to keep people out, but to me it's like they wanted to keep the kids in. It's almost impossible for a kid to get out if he wanted to skip school.

I just stood outside the school with my mum. I couldn't go in. I was terrified of meeting a girl I met in primary school.

I was just a kid in primary school. Year 5 or 6. We were having these dance rehearsals, something we all universally hated. Or I did anyway. We had to do this old fashioned dancing thing where you had to hold hands and touch one another. It was disgusting. There, under the awning just in front of the main hall I fell in love at first sight. I had never seen her before, and she wasn't particularly good looking but something happened to me and it's never happened to me since. The feeling that came over me was not a good or positive feeling - it felt more like a shock. I just stood there dumbfounded, staring at this girl and I wondered, "what happened?"

The girl uttered unto me a single word, "What?"

Last edited:

BridgetNZ

Registered
Reaction score
This is a little confusing as to what the story is about. About the granny smith festival? About growing up? About falling in love for the first time? I think you need to pick your story's theme first then build a narrative around it :)

jorlando

Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed the sentence structure and the word choice which makes this a very clear, fast, and readable flash piece.