Ask Jennifer Laughran! Tireless agent-in-residence!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jscribbles

Who killed my sea monkeys?
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you!! You've provided a staggering amount of information here!

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to add my thanks for your straightforward advice and patience. I learned some very useful things from this thread.

Thank you.

NancyH

Blunt. But kind.
Registered
Reaction score
THANKS for the memories. :) (and the help, of course)
Nancy

Georgina

Sushi at midnight
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for all your time and patience, Jennifer. It's been a fascinating thread to follow.

Cheers!

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Jennifer. I've appreciated your answers so much that I have read this thread from the beginning to this bittersweet end.

Elizabeth Holloway

Pass the sugar
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for all of the awesome advice. This thread has been a highlight of mine since I joined this community.

I wish you all the best!

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Jennifer - I'm not at the "dealing with live-human-agents" part of my writing career yet, but I read this thread all the time and have copied and pasted and saved many of your answers for when the day comes. I thank you for your contribution to AW!

Bettie

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I echo that--thanks so much, Jennifer. This has been a steady commitment of time, worthwhile to so many folks here. :)

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I've been repped for six months now, and I still come here to read your posts. Thank you Jennifer. I'm sad to see you go.

Khanada

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not much for blanket statements, but in your case, I think you just may have answered every question possible.

Thanks so much, Jenn, for all you do.

Amy

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
You've been so patient and thorough. I feel like I've come to know you so well--I guessed you were the MissSnark'sFirstVictim Secret Agent because I recognized your voice! A warm and helpful voice it has been, too. In addition to all the great responses you've given us, you've helped make agents seem like decent human beings, as well. Not too big and scary...

Thank you very much. We'll miss you.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Jennifer, you've been fabulous. I've learned so much from you, and really appreciate all the time and effort you've put in to helping out here at AW.

I'll be sure to read your new blog. Thank you for everything.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Jennifer, thank you so much for putting so much time and passion into this thread. Your tireless efforts are greatfully appreciated and I've learned a lot just reading. I hope to see you around the rest of the boards and the drinks are on me. :)

Richard L. Sutton

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kivatrading.com
How do the odds really figure for male writers right now?

I've been noticing that at least in the "writers forum" world, male writers are seriously outnumbered by women who write. I'm also seeing a relative scarcity of male agents. Now, I realize that there is no "old girl's club" per se, but has anyone studied the unbalance in new debut fiction published between men and women authors? Can a female agent be expected to warm up to the work of a male writer as easily as the work of another woman? Is this a silly question? I know there are sucessful male writers who write what would be considered "women's fiction", but I'm beginning to wonder how gender plays in the market, both reader/consumers and publishers.

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
I've been noticing that at least in the "writers forum" world, male writers are seriously outnumbered by women who write. I'm also seeing a relative scarcity of male agents. Now, I realize that there is no "old girl's club" per se, but has anyone studied the unbalance in new debut fiction published between men and women authors? Can a female agent be expected to warm up to the work of a male writer as easily as the work of another woman? Is this a silly question? I know there are sucessful male writers who write what would be considered "women's fiction", but I'm beginning to wonder how gender plays in the market, both reader/consumers and publishers.

Are you kidding me?

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Oy. I KNEW I shoulda locked this thread when the thank-yous had tapered off a bit, before someone blundered in without bothering to read a single thing that's happened in the last two pages.... :(

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
Oy. I KNEW I shoulda locked this thread when the thank-yous had tapered off a bit, before someone blundered in without bothering to read a single thing that's happened in the last two pages.... :(

I think people should answer him.

*gets popcorn*

Deleted member 42

1. This is a stupid question, not a silly question.

2. You need to learn the difference between gender and sex. Gender is not a substitute for sex.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
That is ... I mean ... That's just ... Oh heck :e2thud:

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I think why you are receiving the reaction you are is that the many people who have studied gender inequality in the publishing world usually find that it is men who are disproportionately represented in both publishing ranks and, more notably and more studied, on awards lists.

Not sure that anyone has done the analysis within the genre of womens fiction, but I would pop popcorn for the conversation of why we may see less male authors writing women's fiction.

~suki

Status
Not open for further replies.