Ask Jennifer Laughran! Tireless agent-in-residence!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuntB

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Jennifer!

Just a quick question (I apologize if this has already been asked): What should a writer put in the subject line of an email nudge on requested materials? I'm not sure if there is a general rule for this, but I don't want my nudge to get lost in the deluge of new queries....

Thanks! Happy Holidays!

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I have another of those cart-before-the-horse questions....

So many of the announcements of sales say "a 2-book deal." I'm curious how that works. Is it usually done just for authors who have a sequel planned to that particular book? Or can the second book be something completely different? How long does the author typically have to produce that second book (one of the things I worry about, because I seem to be slower than most...)? Does the editor usually want a synopsis or some such info about the planned second book ahead of time, or does the author just write what the muse inspires and then hope everybody likes it?

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
You generously helped me out a few months back when an agent had requested some revisions before offering representation, and I really needed someone to tell me to chill out and relax. (Which you did! Whew! And thanks!) So the revisions led to an offer of representation (Yay!), and now my book has been on submission for about four weeks.

Congratulations!

I read through this entire thread over the last few weeks, and I found some information about submissions, but do you have time to go into more depth about the submissions process? I'm sure all agents have their own system, so this is a more general question while I try not to chew my fingernails off.

In depth... um... in what sense? Maybe my brains are just scrambled from helping in the bookstore all week, but I am just not sure what you are asking. How I submit things? (email). When? (Not during christmas break or the last few weeks of August). Err... more specific questions?

Are things taking longer now because of the economy? Are advances lower? Is it harder to break out as a new author?

I'll assume you mean "than a few years ago". The answers: Yes, I think so. Sort of. And I don't think so.

Yes, editors have less help and more work to do because of the economy. Therefore everything about the process is taking longer than I think it should - but then, it has always been an excruciatingly slow business.

Yes, publishers are less willing to risk a large sum of money on something they aren't sure about. So the days of crazy-inflated advances are maybe not GONE but certainly on the wane. I have had publishers offer the same money or less money to authors for second books - when I believe a couple of years ago, I would have definitely gotten MORE money for second books.

I have lots of debut authors on my list. I think publishers are certainly still willing to take a chance on a debut if it is strong enough writing.

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Jennifer, thanks for answering our question. Very kind of you. :)

I was wondering, if you receive a submission with a very promising idea but if the finish (writing) is somewhat lacking, do you still keep the author "on tabs" or do you reject him right away?

Thank you :)

bclement412

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Ms. Laughran. Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.

I was curious as to how much it takes for an agent to reject a full. I mean, if they love the premise, the writing, the voice, but a.)it takes 20 pages or so for them to get into the story, but from that point on, it's a page turner or b.) the ending was a disappointment or too rushed. From an agent's point of view, would those be easy revisions and they'd offer representation or would they reject it because of those flaws?

Thanks so much and I hope you enjoy(ed) your holidays!

wickerkat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.whatdoesnotkillme.wordpress.com
Thanks Jennifer for your help with previous questions. So great to have you here.

I wondered how you feel about brick and mortar vs. online, especially in relation to new or debut authors? Is it ESSENTIAL to be in the B&N, Borders, etc. these days or is Amazon enough?

Here's my thinking.

BRICK AND MORTAR
When you go into an actual store you're probably doing one of two things: seeking out a specific author or book, for yourself, or somebody else OR browsing because you like books in general. Now, if you are a big time author, and have a disply or prominent placement you'll not only get that person who was already looking for the the latest King or Grisham or whomever but also that person who likes similar work. BUT if I'm a new, unknown author, who is going to stumble across my five copies buried in the fiction section? It seems like a recipe for disaster.

Amazon and other online retailers are great for people who love to shop online, be it for convenience, off of marketing/pr/ads or maybe they live in a rural location and can't get to a store. Also, with things like the Amazon "People who bought THIS book also bought THIS book..." suggestions, you can pull in people who don't know you. You may not get a person new to your work to get in a car and drive to Borders, but they may just hit a click and surf on over, or toss you in the shopping cart with others. Not to mention digital work, like for the Kindle.

Is is becoming less essential to get into the actual stores? With print being so costly and returns being so damaging what does the future hold? I'm curious as I'm negotiating a contract right and am not sure if getting major distribution is as mandatory as it used to be, especially when I'm trying to sell 3-5000 books, a big number, but not the millions you expect from the top sellers.

Your thoughts?

Thanks, you rock.
Peace,
Richard

PhoenixAngel

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to break into writing. I've heard that a lot of agents stop reading after the first paragraph. What makes you stop reading?

nancy sv

30 months on a bicycle...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
My book isn't in your genre, but I'm hoping you might be able to give me some ideas of how to approach this...

My family and I are now on a world record attempt bike ride from Alaska to Argentina. My sons are trying to break the record as the youngest people to cycle the entire length of the Pan American Highway.

We are now at the equator - halfway around the globe! I would like to write two books about our experiences. The first would be from the arctic to the equator - the part we've done already. The second would be the last half.

How do I put that in a query? Do I just ask about the first part now and not mention what's to come? Or do I ask about a two-part series?

Thanks for your help!
Nancy

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Wickerkat, I'm not an agent like Jennifer but if you don't mind, I'll step in and attempt to answer some of your questions.

First up: many self-publishing service providers suggest that distribution into physical bookstores is no longer necessary because of the opportunities online sales provide. This is put into focus when you consider that most of their books sell fewer than 200 copies (other estimates put that average at only 40 copies, but I'm being generous today).

Bookstore distribution is still very important: if books don't get onto bookshelves, they are very unlikely to sell in decent quantity. Moreover, the books have to get onto the shelves at the big chain stores to get their best chance of selling well.

In the last few weeks I've spoken to a handful of good independent publishers in the UK and they've all said that if their books aren't taken by Waterstones then they'll sell 3-400 copies; if they are, they sell upwards of 1,000 (some sell tens of thousands). These are publishers who pay for all the in-store placement they can get, so when their books get onto those shelves, they'll also appear on the front tables and so on.

The sales figures I've seen show that at present (in the UK) about 30-35% of sales are made online compared to 65-70% in bookstores. The gap between the two is narrowing, and projections suggest that the two will equalise in four or five years: but that's based on the current trend continuing unchanged and as it's probably approaching its peak right now, the swing from physical to online sales is likely to slow down and so delay that breakeven point.

I'm still convinced that physical bookstore placement is essential for a book to have the best chance of selling well. If a publisher doesn't have proper distribution (and remember that anything with an ISBN will appear online--good distribution is far bigger than being listed at Amazon etc) then I'd think very carefully about whether or not to take up their offer of publication.

(And I'm curious about the contract you're negotiating: is it with a publisher? Because your comment reads as though it might be with a distributor, which confuses me slightly. If you are in talks with a publisher then you might be wise to search for their name in the Bewares and Background Checks section here, just to make sure you don't get any unpleasant surprises later on.)

Jennifer_Laughran

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
There seems to be a hot debated discussion right now regarding a genre that is targeted for the ages that come between YA and Adult. Some are throwing around the word "New Adult" as a possible new genre.

Where do you stand in the controversy of whether or not a new category does in fact need to be created that better fits stories containing characters of this in-between age bracket?

I don't think it is hotly debated at all. I also don't think it is a controversy at all. One publisher, St. Martin's, is experimenting with this category. A few people, on the internet, are discussing it. Nobody else in the world knows it is a thing.

Once upon a time, one publisher tried to start a movement called "Lad Lit" to be the "male version of Chick Lit". Remember that? No? Well, it went exactly nowhere, because the books didn't sell. St. Martins will have to actually find and publish these books, and they will have to prove themselves commercially viable, for there to be a bandwagon for anyone else to hop on. I think there are very smart people behind it with very good ideas, and it just might be very successful -- but it hasn't quite happened yet.

I love Upper-YA books (aka "crossovers") but from the perspective of a bookseller, I think they should stay in the YA section of the bookstore. If there is a new category added I think it should be "tween" (aka what is now known as "upper Middle Grade" or "lower YA") Because that right now is a category that is FULL of books, but we have noplace to put them, and getting rid of them from the YA section would raise the bottom age in YA, making older stuff more acceptable. In other words, now we have Middle Grade ages 8-12 and YA 12+. I suggest:

Middle Grade = 8-12 (approx)
Tween = 11-14 (approx)
YA = High School Plus

But whatever. Either way you slice it, bookstores will have to decide to make that a thing, which they will when the number of books and demand for them reaches a tipping point. Wait-and-see mode, on!

Jennifer_Laughran

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
Just a quick question (I apologize if this has already been asked): What should a writer put in the subject line of an email nudge on requested materials? I'm not sure if there is a general rule for this, but I don't want my nudge to get lost in the deluge of new queries....

I'd put something like "status check - requested materials - TITLE" or "re: TITLE by AUTHOR" or similar. There is no rule, use your best judgment.

Jennifer_Laughran

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
So many of the announcements of sales say "a 2-book deal." I'm curious how that works. Is it usually done just for authors who have a sequel planned to that particular book? Or can the second book be something completely different?

Both, or either, or other. A multi-book deal evolves out of discussion between the agent and the editor -- either because the book is something that obviously NEEDS a sequel, or because the author has other works in progress on tap already that are equally awesome, or sometimes even if nobody has any idea what the second book might be but obviously this person can write, so the multi-book deal is just to sweeten the offer. I've had it all those ways.

There are good reasons to take a two-book deal and equally good reasons to turn it down. I would take it on a case-by-case basis.

Good reasons to accept: You want to have the feeling of security. You're a debut author and the publisher wants to prove that they are "in it for the long haul", and you are guaranteed the same $ for book 2 even if the first book is not successful. It is a book with obvious need for sequels or companion books.

Good reasons to decline: If the first book is phenomenally successful, you can demand more money for the next book if it isn't already under contract. If you and the editor work badly together, you can go elsewhere rather than stay locked in a poor working relationship.

If you know you are slow or work badly under pressure, you should also probably not accept a multi-book deal.

How long does the author typically have to produce that second book (one of the things I worry about, because I seem to be slower than most...)? Does the editor usually want a synopsis or some such info about the planned second book ahead of time, or does the author just write what the muse inspires and then hope everybody likes it?

Time frames will be part of the contract discussion, but generally it would be due somewhere 6-12 months or so from the due date of your first book so that the books could be released about a year apart.

Usually my clients have discussed possibilities for book 2 with the editor well ahead of time and know the direction they want to go in, and might send a partial along before they get too far into it just to be sure that they're on the right track.

Keep in mind that you can "hope everyone likes it" all you want, but if they DON'T like it, they won't publish it. And you'll still have to come up with something that they DO like to fill the contract, or else that contract will get cancelled. So open communication is a good idea.

Jennifer_Laughran

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
I was wondering, if you receive a submission with a very promising idea but if the finish (writing) is somewhat lacking, do you still keep the author "on tabs" or do you reject him right away?

Great ideas are easy, great execution is hard. I'd reject.

However, if the idea was REALLY interesting, I'd mention it in the rejection, remember the writers name and keep track of them or offer to read a revision in the future.

Jennifer_Laughran

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
I was curious as to how much it takes for an agent to reject a full. I mean, if they love the premise, the writing, the voice, but a.)it takes 20 pages or so for them to get into the story, but from that point on, it's a page turner or b.) the ending was a disappointment or too rushed. From an agent's point of view, would those be easy revisions and they'd offer representation or would they reject it because of those flaws?

If I am just so-so on the premise, writing, voice, etc, then a rushed ending or lame beginning might be a deal-breaker. But if I really love the premise, writing, voice, characters, and everything else, then a rushed ending or lame beginning are easy enough to fix.

I guess it depends - how much do I love all those other elements of the book? Does the author seem amenable to revision? Would the revision still fit the author's vision? How much do I want to work with the author? Do I have the time to take on a major new project without short-changing my current clients?

I might decide to give the author notes and offer to look again should they decide to revise.

bclement412

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions Ms. Laughran! Hope you enjoyed your holiday and happy new year!

Jennifer_Laughran

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
I wondered how you feel about brick and mortar vs. online, especially in relation to new or debut authors? Is it ESSENTIAL to be in the B&N, Borders, etc. these days or is Amazon enough?

First of all I agree with OldHack's response. But I'll add to it.

I happen to have grown up in a bookstore, and so I am biased for sure, but I feel very strongly that good distribution and bookstore placement is essential to book success.

You've given one scenario, in which an internet browser sees more than a shop browser. But from my experience it is actually not quite like that. Let me give you an analogy, in which a Bookstore is represented by a physical copy of the newspaper, and Ama*on is represented by the online version of the same paper.

I have a copy of the New York Times. I look at the headlines and skim the front section. I paw through all the sections and find the ones I like (in my case, the Arts section or the book review). I read it - starting with the headline that most interests me, but because I have to flip the pages to read more of the story, I find other articles along the way. I finish that section, but I am not done with my coffee yet, so I paw through the other sections - oh that Business article looks intriguing, and while I am reading more of IT, I stumble across more things that I have an interest in, wowee! I play the crossword puzzle and munch on toast, and probably take a look at the actual news before I am done. Total time in paper-land = 30-45 minutes.

OR, I have an online version of the New York Times. I glance at all the section headings and click on the arts section. I go directly to "books" and "lists" and see if my stuff is on the bestseller list. I see if there is a review of any book I am already interested in, and if there is, I click on it. I look at the headlines only, and if one seems interesting, I click on it. I leave. Total time = 3 to 4 minutes.

Is one inherently better than another? Nah, they are both good for different reasons. The physical paper is a tactile experience - you get smell, touch sight and the act of pawing and flipping pages, as well as all the things you look at without even really realizing you are doing it. You stop, slow down, peruse, enjoy, glance, etc. The internet paper is quick and ink-free, you get what you want and you keep moving.

The same is true for physical bookstores vs online. The times that you "browse" online are when you don't know what you want, but even then, your choices are limited by what the computer THINKS YOU MIGHT LIKE based on its own internal algorithms - rather than in a bookstore, when you can look at anything, and booksellers can give you recommendations in a much more personal way.

But anyway, all that is neither here nor there. I don't think Ama*on is enough personally, I think physical store exposure is important (not only Waterstones or B&N, but also indie bookstores, and Tesco, Target, Walmart and/or Costco woundn't hurt) if you want to actually move serious paper. But whatever, prove me wrong.

Jennifer_Laughran

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
Hi, I'm trying to break into writing. I've heard that a lot of agents stop reading after the first paragraph. What makes you stop reading?

Crap writing, unbelievable characters or dialogue, ridiculous premise. I usually give it a bit more than a paragraph, though. :)

Jennifer_Laughran

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
My family and I are now on a world record attempt bike ride from Alaska to Argentina. My sons are trying to break the record as the youngest people to cycle the entire length of the Pan American Highway.

We are now at the equator - halfway around the globe! I would like to write two books about our experiences. The first would be from the arctic to the equator - the part we've done already. The second would be the last half.

How do I put that in a query? Do I just ask about the first part now and not mention what's to come? Or do I ask about a two-part series?

Why does it have to be two books? That seems silly. Why not one great book rather than two slim books? I suggest you really think about why you are dividing it like this and figure out if you have to do it that way. I think that the journey AND the finale with closure, success, failure, lessons learned, etc - is a vital part of why people read books like this - and if you stop halfway through the journey... I just don't get it.

But whatever. Once you've figured out what you are really writing about, create a proposal that includes: A brief synopsis with the entire arc of the story. A table of contents. A sample of a couple of chapters. A description of what you are trying to achieve with this book, who you think the audience for it is, what other books that are similar have come out and how your book is different. etc. If you really feel that you MUST do this in two books, you'll have to explain why and give a brief rundown on what sort of things book 2 might entail, as well, because obviously that is gonna be a question in any agent or publisher's mind. ("So... what happened??!")

wickerkat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.whatdoesnotkillme.wordpress.com
First of all I agree with OldHack's response. But I'll add to it.

I happen to have grown up in a bookstore, and so I am biased for sure, but I feel very strongly that good distribution and bookstore placement is essential to book success.

You've given one scenario, in which an internet browser sees more than a shop browser. But from my experience it is actually not quite like that. Let me give you an analogy, in which a Bookstore is represented by a physical copy of the newspaper, and Ama*on is represented by the online version of the same paper.

I have a copy of the New York Times. I look at the headlines and skim the front section. I paw through all the sections and find the ones I like (in my case, the Arts section or the book review). I read it - starting with the headline that most interests me, but because I have to flip the pages to read more of the story, I find other articles along the way. I finish that section, but I am not done with my coffee yet, so I paw through the other sections - oh that Business article looks intriguing, and while I am reading more of IT, I stumble across more things that I have an interest in, wowee! I play the crossword puzzle and munch on toast, and probably take a look at the actual news before I am done. Total time in paper-land = 30-45 minutes.

OR, I have an online version of the New York Times. I glance at all the section headings and click on the arts section. I go directly to "books" and "lists" and see if my stuff is on the bestseller list. I see if there is a review of any book I am already interested in, and if there is, I click on it. I look at the headlines only, and if one seems interesting, I click on it. I leave. Total time = 3 to 4 minutes.

Is one inherently better than another? Nah, they are both good for different reasons. The physical paper is a tactile experience - you get smell, touch sight and the act of pawing and flipping pages, as well as all the things you look at without even really realizing you are doing it. You stop, slow down, peruse, enjoy, glance, etc. The internet paper is quick and ink-free, you get what you want and you keep moving.

The same is true for physical bookstores vs online. The times that you "browse" online are when you don't know what you want, but even then, your choices are limited by what the computer THINKS YOU MIGHT LIKE based on its own internal algorithms - rather than in a bookstore, when you can look at anything, and booksellers can give you recommendations in a much more personal way.

But anyway, all that is neither here nor there. I don't think Ama*on is enough personally, I think physical store exposure is important (not only Waterstones or B&N, but also indie bookstores, and Tesco, Target, Walmart and/or Costco woundn't hurt) if you want to actually move serious paper. But whatever, prove me wrong.

I appreciate your time and thoughtfulness here.

Maybe you can enlighten me then as to placement in a bookstore, because I guess I'm picturing five copies of my novel on a shelf someplace where nobody will ever see them. If I can manage to get good distribution, and get INTO these stores, what kind of placement can I expect? Are there tables for debut novels, or simply new releases? If my initial print run is 500, how can I expect to get into these stores? Should I select bigger stores in bigger markets only (as opposed to the 700 or whatever B&N across the USA)? Do I need to push for a bigger first print run, of maybe 1500-3000? ARGH. So many question. My biggest fear is that I'll push this new, small press to get great distribution, the books don't sell, and I drag them under with returns.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Richard

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Jennifer,

Thank you so much for your response to my question above. I have one other, follow up question. I am being told that my novel isn't YA because the MC is 18 (soon to be nineteen) and the love interest is 20 and it all takes place on a university campus. The story, pace and overall theme and feel of the story seems YA to me and was written with a YA audience in mind.

How should I label/query this book? Will most agents reject it as being YA as soon as they see the age of the characters and the setting of the story? Should I label it as Paranormal Romance and stop sending it to agents who represent YA? Can I send it to both and query it according to what a particular agent represents (adult fictions vs. YA fiction)?

Thanks.

HMS

Registered
Reaction score
Jennife,

The Wimpy Kid books, what level are they considered? The main character is in 7th Grade, but the writing and length seem to be aimed at a younger reader. Thank you.

Jennifer_Laughran

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
I appreciate your time and thoughtfulness here.

Maybe you can enlighten me then as to placement in a bookstore, because I guess I'm picturing five copies of my novel on a shelf someplace where nobody will ever see them. If I can manage to get good distribution, and get INTO these stores, what kind of placement can I expect? Are there tables for debut novels, or simply new releases? If my initial print run is 500, how can I expect to get into these stores? Should I select bigger stores in bigger markets only (as opposed to the 700 or whatever B&N across the USA)? Do I need to push for a bigger first print run, of maybe 1500-3000? ARGH. So many question. My biggest fear is that I'll push this new, small press to get great distribution, the books don't sell, and I drag them under with returns.

There are tables for new releases. But if your publisher is really that small and your initial print run is only 500 copies, I can't imagine that you'll get into big chain stores without some kind of miracle.

As an author, you don't get to "select stores" to carry your book or pick how many copies they print or where they end up - that is so not the authors job. You can't MAKE a small company "get good distribution" -- that is like saying that you want to make the children's lemonade stand on the corner get their own lobbyist in Washington DC and start pushing legislation through congress. It doesn't work like that.

Jennifer_Laughran

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
Jennifer,

Thank you so much for your response to my question above. I have one other, follow up question. I am being told that my novel isn't YA because the MC is 18 (soon to be nineteen) and the love interest is 20 and it all takes place on a university campus. The story, pace and overall theme and feel of the story seems YA to me and was written with a YA audience in mind.

How should I label/query this book? Will most agents reject it as being YA as soon as they see the age of the characters and the setting of the story? Should I label it as Paranormal Romance and stop sending it to agents who represent YA? Can I send it to both and query it according to what a particular agent represents (adult fictions vs. YA fiction)?

Sure. Why don't you call it "upper YA/crossover" fiction for YA agents, and "paranormal romance" fiction for the agents who do that. It is all just marketing terminology, don't stress.

Status
Not open for further replies.