• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

ASJ Publishing

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

StephanieWeippert

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys, I haven't been here for a while, life is just too busy, but I know you can help me. I follow some writers on Facebook and saw this announcement:

It is the sole goal of ASJ Publishing to help new authors get discovered and published.

It is our Mission to bring quality E-Publishing Services for first-time authors. Regardless of what your situation is, we can help bring your novel to the next level of Publishing.

ASJ Publishing is a publishing organization that aims to discover and work with unknown and first-time authors. We combine the unlimited potential of a new author with a unique approach to publishing in order to provide our clients with high quality books. We want to simplify and make the publishing industry easy to navigate.

Since POD and scammers pitch to "new authors" I am wary. Does anyone know anything about this? I checked writer beware and couldn't find it. Of course, it's possible I goofed looking for it too. :D

Richard Falk

Author of "Warp"
Registered
Reaction score
Looking at their website — asjpublishing.com — it appears to be some sort of hybrid business. On the one hand, it claims to be a royalty-paying ebook publisher and on the other sells "premium services" such as Facebook page design. I also assume that "book trailers" and audiobooks are charged for, especially as the startup team includes a dedicated narrator.

The site specifies that editing, the ISBN and cover art are free of charge; it also, rather oddly, specifies that they don't charge for reading manuscripts. In particular, the phrase "To learn more about royalties, author investments, as well as production services and timelines, please contact us directly" worries me enormously.

My gut feeling? It appears to be a low-end ebook-cum-vanity operation that aims to make money from selling bolt-on services to writers, not from selling books to the general public, but I will be interested to read other members' takes on the site and comments from the business's principals if they choose to post here.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
They've expanded ...

From the time we opened our doors until now, ASJ has changed with the times. Until the beginning of 2015, our focus was solely POD, Ebooks and Audiobooks. By the end of 2015, our focus expands to the world of music, film and Virtual Reality. ASJ Publishing is also an Indie Film Production company (with one series for TV already in post production), Music Distributor, and the first publishing house to release Virtual Reality books on the Oculus Rift.

gckatz

Chimaera
Registered
Reaction score
These guys are still kicking around and it still appears that they're making all their money by hawking extremely expensive publishing packages to their authors, ranging from $6000 to $20,000. Specific concerns:

-They insist that their "Partnership Program" doesn't make them a vanity press, but they have an online store that sells "publishing packages" that you can just put in your cart and buy, no submission process needed. That sounds like vanity publishing to me.

-Their "traditional" publishing deal includes "Formatting; Editing/Ghost-writing; Cover Design/Art work; ISBN Assignment," but those same things are mentioned in their for-purchase publishing packages.

-Part of the for-purchase package is "40% discount on orders of your own books." Do you normally have to pay full price to get copies of your own books?? (Also, 40% is a pretty stingy discount.)

-Also part of the package, "Your book will be stocked in our store" and "Promotion of your book through our website." DO THEY NOT LIST YOUR BOOK IN THEIR WEBSITE UNLESS YOU BUY THEIR MARKETING PACKAGE??

-They also sell PubMatch listings. Setting aside that they're charging you $25 for a listing that's normally free, this is a site that hooks up self-published authors with agents and publishers. But aren't THEY a publisher? Why would they promote a service that encourages their authors to jump ship to other publishers?

-They say that they publish in paperback, ebook, and "in some cases," audiobooks. The "in some cases" is if you buy their $1000 audiobook package.

-Their traditional publishing deal says "we provide some marketing services," but provides no details. Given all the things they charge you for, it's safe to say that their non-paid marketing is going to be very flimsy indeed.

Looking at their submissions page and how it bangs on about how the author must have a strong marketing plan, it's obvious what their business model is. You sub to them, they accept everything, then they tell you your marketing plan isn't good enough and refuse to give you a book deal unless you buy their marketing package. If you still don't buy their package, they'll slap together a shoddy print-on-demand book and deliberately not give it any exposure, and then when it doesn't sell, they'll pressure you again to buy their marketing package. Meanwhile, they'll keep adding expensive, overhyped add-on services (Video narration! Film treatment! Virtual reality books!) that won't actually help your book sell, but will bilk you out of more money.

C Alberts

Registered
Reaction score
According to their mission, "Bookstores can order through Ingram". I checked and I see 7 titles listed on Ingram. The most recent has a pub date in June 2015. All but one have a short discount, and all are listed as nonreturnable. So.... while it may be technically true, in practice this is a nonstarter.

Not even going to try to understand why that statement would be part of their 'Mission', by the way.

gckatz

Chimaera
Registered
Reaction score
Another observation: While they offer a pretty normal 50% royalties on most ebook sales, they offer a mind-boggling 80% on books sold through their website. How could the publisher possibly make money on those sales? Oh wait, you have to pay to be listed on their website (it seems). Who wants to bet that authors are getting the hard sell of "You could be making so much money in royalties if you just bought our publishing package?"

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
These guys are still kicking around and it still appears that they're making all their money by hawking extremely expensive publishing packages to their authors, ranging from $6000 to $20,000.

HOW
much??!? Bloody hell, tell me nobody actually falls for this crap...

Happy Thanksgiving

Autumn image for Thanksgiving